Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the idea of a S22 and S28 “Tech” version with a built in cache... I know there’s lots of other companies doing bags with built in tech carrying options, but none of them can come close to what I love about my TB.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My druthers are for a 22ish liter mini Brain Bag style vs Synapse style
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    My druthers are for a 22ish liter mini Brain Bag style vs Synapse style
    I would be thrilled with this too! What I would really love to see is a 22L or so bag that came closer to maximizing the personal item dimension limits. I’m petite so there’s no way even an under packed S25 or BB would work, and I need something a little bigger than my S19. I love my S19, S25, and BB equally so it doesn’t matter which one it looks like.

** and for those that aren’t keen on the aesthetic of the BB, don’t knock it until you try it! I am constantly amazed how much this thing can swallow. I can only assume a baby BB would behave similarly.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My S19 halcyon is the bag I keep coming back to for my daily use, more so than the S25. I just find that 19L is enough for the essentials. Any more than that and the bag gets a bit too big and heavy for all day carry. If you're using it for travel and will plan on leaving it in your room or for carrying to work, imo just go for a big bag. I think the idea of the S19 is to be light, carryable and functional.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my S25, and would dearly love one with a bit more capacity. I think that adding a second main compartment with cache rails might be just the ticket...kind of a hybrid between the Brain Bag and the S25.

Part of what I love about the S25 is the versatility. I like that I can pull the cache when I don't need a laptop.

My partner has a Brain Bag, and there's a lot to like about it. The upper pocket is great, and the side pockets are super handy. I actually want a Brain Bag, since I think it could be the ultimate one bag for me for trips to to 5 days, but I really want the internal water bottle pocket. The clip/strap deal on the BB is a no go for me.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm under 5 feet, so I hear ya on the size limitations. What I've realized for myself though is that sometimes the volume measurement is not the whole story. I've not tried the S25, but I like the Smart Alec (18.5"long/26L) as its vertical dimension works for me. I'm still playing with the A30, haven't decided on whether it fits me better with the internal frame or without. Same thing with the lighter backpacks - DLBP (11.8" long/16.5L) fits me better than the PCBP (18.1" long/13.5L), due to their different lengths. (Oddly, the SA is longer than the PCBP, but seems to fit better, perhaps because the greater depth or the different strap construction changes the way it sits on me.)

Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    I’m petite so there’s no way even an under packed S25 or BB would work, and I need something a little bigger than my S19. I love my S19, S25, and BB equally so it doesn’t matter which one it looks like.

** and for those that aren’t keen on the aesthetic of the BB, don’t knock it until you try it! I am constantly amazed how much this thing can swallow. I can only assume a baby BB would behave similarly.

Forum Member
    Washington DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just chiming in here. Dedicated laptop compartment and a full clamshell zip would make synapse the perfect backpack. It's already the best i've ever used, but I keep finding myself reaching for a different option when I need to pack the bag like a suitcase.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a bit "tomato/tomah-to" - I don't think either side will convince the other of their wisdom, but when I read your comment it reminded me of a backpack I had from another manufacturer. It had both the laptop compartment and a full clamshell zip. I never really used it much - I didn't like the pockets and the straps were uncomfortable - so it looked pristine. But actually the zippers were tricky - they were so slippery that if the pack was half-full, the weight of the load would cause the zippers to slowly open, till all my groceries or books fell on the ground behind me. If I was lucky, a friend would be walking behind me and alert me to the escape, but I stopped using it after the second time this happened.

On the other hand, today I needed to bring my laptop with me. I put it in a padded sleeve and then into my S19. I was in a hurry to pick up my son from school, so I headed out with the zippers open more than half-way. It wasn't till I arrived at school and was waiting for my son to come out that I noticed the zippers were unsecured. But, because the opening doesn't go all the way down the sides, my wallet and computer were still sitting inside. Not sure if I have sticky zippers or the half-clamshell design to thank for saving my stuff, but either way the setup is what I need to protect me from my sometimes-forgetful self!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I'm new hereÖ I just joined the forum a few minutes ago to add a fervent "yes, please" to the call for a Synapse 22.

I ordered a Synapse 25 and a 19 to check out, and wow, I can really see why these bags have such a fan base. I'm in loveÖ but they may both go back because of size issues. The 19 is way too small for my needsÖ not really a surprise, since I sometimes need to carry a 15" MacBook Pro, and would also like the bag to work as my only bag for a couple of weeks in a foreign city. The 25 has plenty of room for all my needs, but it looks huge on my 5'8" frame (and yes, I'm trying not to look too geeky to the good folks of Paris).

So I tried my various scenarios with a 22L bag from another company (I'm not sure what the etiquette here is about naming other bag makers), and it was perfect for all of them: my two weeks in Paris combination and the tech set with 15" MBP and peripherals were just right, and it looks like a day pack on me instead of a round-the-world duffle. Of course it's not a quarter of the quality and all-around wonderfulness of the Synapse, so I'm really torn.

So yes, please, a Synapse 22 (soon?) would be a dream.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @neonomad, welcome to the Forums!

To answer your question about local etiquette around naming other bag makers, here's a quote from the Forum Rules & Guidelines:

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Moderator Crew View Post
    2) Linking to and discussing other bag manufacturers in the right context is perfectly acceptable. If you're trying to decide between different brands of bags, or if you need to ask a whether a different manufacturers bag or accessory will work with a TOM BIHN bag, feel free to discuss or link. Posting a review or starting a discussion strictly about another manufacturers product is best kept to that particular manufacturers forum or website. We try to stay as on-topic as possible, and the topic here is TOM BIHN bags. Speaking of which: TOM BIHN only builds our own original designs and styles, so you needn't bother posting a link to a different manufacturer's design and suggesting that we make it too. It's just not something we do: at TOM BIHN, we make our own designs, which come from our own inspiration. And we assure you: that keeps us plenty busy.
    So it would have been fine if you felt like saying "I tried out a 22L bag from Company Name and I like that size," but not good to say "I wish you would copy this bag that Company Name makes." Make sense? If not, feel free to ask for clarification. And once again, welcome!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2