Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reigniting discussion of S22 wishlist

Iím a TB newbie with an S25 (Mars Red). Love it, although itís too big about half the time. The other half of the time I can travel with a smaller bag. Iíve experimented with the S19, trying very hard to love it, but not quite getting there as it feels too small.

Iíd love an S22, though. Think that would be juuuust right.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about options for different situations. I posted about my ideal S30 travel bag a while ago with some new features/design improvements but the thread was a flop. I've seen plenty of comments for smaller/bigger Synapse variations while perusing older discussions. That "perfect bag" seems to elude the majority of bag junkies.

While impractical from a production standpoint, it'd be awesome to have a Synapse format at every 3 liters of increased capacity. Or better yet, an expandable version...

Something else to consider though is the material. Is your S19 halcyon or ballistic? I have a halcyon S25 and ballistic S19, and I always wonder if their materials were reversed if that would close the gap in perceived volume. A halcyon 19 might give that little bit of flexibility that you're missing.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. There’s a lot to love with the Synapse but some modest design changes might also improve both Synapses.

I’d like to see a permanent cache pocket. That would cut the bulk of the current cache in half. Next, get rid of the inside pocket in the main compartment or find a way to make it be an add on. Another option would be to tightened it up. I’m sure it pooches out in order to hold a FS but the pooching out gets in the way. Third, redesign the pockets so they don’t dip into the main compartment space.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be totally interested. I'd probably carry the same amount of stuff as the S19 but enjoy the spare room for juuuust one more thing in case, as well as less egging.

Three extra liters doesn't sound like a lot, but it would definitely make a difference in this bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the s19 came with the lash straps on the bottom like the guides edition S25 it would be a good option for adding that little bit extra when needed. That and guides edition anything would look good. A guides edition pilot would look great if the retired founders briefcase is any indication.

I was keen on a 20L luminary as I've been really reducing what I carry and don't need all the external pockets on the s19. I did order the L15 and it will be interesting to see how it packs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! All of the changes mentioned above are exactly some of the attributes I would want in my ideal backpack.

Dedicated area for laptop cache, GE lashing capability, less 'egging'. And I agree regarding the inside pouch area- I find that it gets in the way more than it provides a use.
    The outer pockets is one of the best parts of the Synapse in my opinion though. While they cut in to the main area a bit, they're designed so that they maintain their own shape and aren't affected much by a bulging bag.

It'll be interesting to see what TB innovates down the line, or if any adjustments are made to future Synapses. We can only dream for that perfect bag..

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a gap in the options.

There's the L12, and L15, DLBP at 16.5, then S19, not to mention the PCBPs filling out the low teens.

Then a six-liter gap to the S25. That's immediately followed by the WF at 26L, right in that ECD/luggage grey area.

Then the full on luggage backpacks: A30, guide's pack 31, TS 33, then BB 36. There's a 9L gap to the A45, but otherwise it's a fairly consistent gradation. And down in the lower end, a couple of liters either way is even more proportionally significant.

Me? I would love an S21 or S22. When I bought my S19, it was because the S25 was way too big, and the S19 just barely big enough. And I've heard that, when offered small, medium, and large choices, people often default to the middle one, so I bet they'd sell the crap out of a middle option. I'd buy one. Then again I have an L15 and an S19 and an A30, so could I honestly justify another $200 backpack for 3L when I could just carry a tote bag (of which I own MANY) for anything that doesn't fit in my S19???

I also find the inside pouch gets in the way more than it helps, but mostly it doesn't matter.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Next, get rid of the inside pocket in the main compartment or find a way to make it be an add on.
    Honestly, I'm surprised about all the vocal distaste for the inside pocket in the main compartment. It has never gotten in my way and I also use it all the time if I need to segment stuff out.

It's actually one of my favorite features of the bag! But I do really like how the new Luminary models offer a new mode for this kind of inside pocket, where it can be zipped up and used to carry tall things like water bottles, and I wouldn't mind seeing a feature more like that on a new Synapse.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the inside pocket all the time as well and it doesn't get in my way at all.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I think about both the S25 and S19, the more I like the idea of a separate compartment for laptop/ipad. It could come lightly padded with an option to add a cache. Then leave the dimensions for rest of the main compartment and other pockets the same.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me as one who's perplexed by the request for a permanent cache or device pocket. There are so many bag manufacturers out there who make these (backpacks with integrated computer storage), why change this quality which is one of the best things about TB? And by that I mean the modular nature of TB bags. Take what you need, leave what you don't. Hence the separate cache, and the removable waist and sternum straps. Plus, if the size of your device changes, you don't need to buy a whole new bag - just swap out the cache part.

When I was traveling weekly for work, I hated my computer backpack. It was ugly and heavy. I never wanted to take it with me when I was traveling for leisure. In contrast, I could totally see carrying my TB bag both for love and money, as it were. It's just brilliant that I can modify my TB bags depending on the situation. Use my Smart Alec for a computer bag. Or use my Synapse, and just move all my accessories over and clip them in. Or use either bag as a weekender bag, and take out the work-related stuff. Or add a modular pocket. Or put my FS in, when I need more organization; take it out when I need to maximize carrying capacity.

(I must say, I have never put a Freudian Slip in the interior pocket. I just put my FS standing up in the middle of the main compartment. It actually acts as a divider of sorts, that way... say, papers in back, snacks in front; or hoody in back, odd-shaped gear in front.)

There are many TB bags, and also many bags made by other manufacturers with a different philosophy or target market. Thank goodness for the plethora of options!!

Agreed. There’s a lot to love with the Synapse but some modest design changes might also improve both Synapses.

I’d like to see a permanent cache pocket. That would cut the bulk of the current cache in half. Next, get rid of the inside pocket in the main compartment or find a way to make it be an add on. Another option would be to tightened it up. I’m sure it pooches out in order to hold a FS but the pooching out gets in the way. Third, redesign the pockets so they don’t dip into the main compartment space.
    Dedicated area for laptop cache, GE lashing capability, less 'egging'. And I agree regarding the inside pouch area- I find that it gets in the way more than it provides a use.

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Count me as one who's perplexed by the request for a permanent cache or device pocket. There are so many bag manufacturers out there who make these (backpacks with integrated computer storage), why change this quality which is one of the best things about TB? And by that I mean the modular nature of TB bags. Take what you need, leave what you don't. Hence the separate cache, and the removable waist and sternum straps. Plus, if the size of your device changes, you don't need to buy a whole new bag - just swap out the cache part.
    [...]
    I understand that some would like a dedicated compartment (if new size laptop, in TB way, a new cache is needed)
    but I totally agree with you, first I don't use laptop for leisure, secondly I really like the modular way of TB, it's just right not too much, not too few

well I may wish for smaller GES or GP (cause well, I'm really small, and I love the GP style) (or an apocalypic SG aka submersible main compartment)
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post

When I was traveling weekly for work, I hated my computer backpack. It was ugly and heavy. I never wanted to take it with me when I was traveling for leisure. In contrast, I could totally see carrying my TB bag both for love and money, as it were.
    This is exactly what brought me to TB.

I do not travel with a laptop and I leave my work laptop at work as much as possible. I do not want a useless (for me) padded laptop compartment taking up space on my bag.

But I could totally see a Synapse 22 and 28 (maybe with a different name) with a zippered back compartment behind the main one that could hold a cache or internal frame or both that would be useful for both of us laptop-less and laptop-toting fans. For the laptop-free such as myself, an added compartment might be a good place to store a packing cube full of clothes, a tablet, or a handful of papers and maps.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the divide might be more between foks who use the Synapse primarily for a computer bag first versus folks who use it for double duty for commute and travel. At least that’s the issue for me. I use my S25 at least 95% of the time as a EDC bag where I’m carrying a laptop, ipad or combo. I just added the S19 and will use it for my smaller load commutes but also on weekends when I’m running around and want to carry my ipad.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a worthwhile conversation. I'm trying to get a feel for the Synapse in either model and something's off in both cases. I've tried the S25 as both EDC and international travel, and ended up with a bad back both times. (Oddly enough, it served me just fine for bike commuting - i never figured out why it worked in that situation and not the others.)

In the meantime I just ordered the S19 for what I thought would be the perfect EDC setup. The vision that was in my head did not work in reality. As Lia mentioned, the inside pocket throws me off. Moreover, once I put the FS in it seemed to me I had no room left for anything else. The FS if definitely going back, and bag may, too.

When it comes to TB bags, my fundamental question is "Would it complement my A30?" Obviously my A30 is not my EDC, but when I travel it is THE bag. Then I allow myself one other bag as a personal item and EDC bag at my destination. If a bag can pass that test, then I'll consider buying it. Since I tend to use the A30 in backpack form, the other bag is most likely a shoulder bag (even though my shoulders hate that fact).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast