Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK to SCB: EXPERIENCES?

I am looking for experiences from anyone who has moved from a SK to a SCB.

I have tried the SCB in the past, and could not get the vertical orientation to work for me. Alas, I still lust after that beautiful bag, and am thinking about ordering one again to try. It will add a bit more room than my SK, for a water bottle and an A5 Ghost Whale with drawing supplies.

I don't want a MCB, it is too big and heavy. I have a PCSB, it is too floppy and a water bottle would have to lay horizontal. I also have tried the FS and it just seemed to take up all the room in the bag.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the largest size water bottle it will carry and still provide room for other things? I have a 26oz, 18 oz and 16 oz.

2. Did you replace the SK with the SCB or do you swap back and forth? (I do this with the TC and SK sometimes)

3. Does an A5 and a water bottle fit in a SCB without it being overly stuffed?

4. Do you use the clasp and do you use the front zipper pocket?

Any other insights into this transition?

Much appreciated!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting a TC, I stopped using my SCB with my S19 and instead carry the FJN, which is roughly the size of the SK.

I can't help you with the water bottle problem because I carry mine in its own pouch.

The main difference is that the SCB is more flexible in what it carry, I am very fond of marsupializing (placing TB items inside TB bags to hold my things).
    I can carry the TC, a 3D OC, a small paperback book in the main compartment and my keys in the front one and have space to fit a Mini, Small or Medium OP in the back pocket to give me easy access to certain items: public transport card, change, a thin paperback or notebook...

I also can slip a candy bar in the back pocket, a box of mint or tic tacs next to the keys, I mean, it holds a ton.

I always clip the flap and the TC and 3D OC provide the security of a inner zippered pocket.

The SK which I got in Nordic, because I thought it would make a good alternative to the FJN, if I could slip a small A5 3 ring binder inside.

I didn't know how it would fit in my EDC lineup but, I was afraid Nordic would be discontinued. I was proven right, this year.

I also found out that the SK is perfect in more formal circumstances where I need to use a more formal tote bag like the Swift, Pop Tote and I think the zippered Shop Bags in EDC Ballistic.

The SK, is like a little matching or contrasting pocket/purse that holds what is carried in the SBC.

It is also perfect as a formal purse if you happen to go to a dress up event while traveling. A neutral SK is perfect in all circumstances, even one in grass would be fine, if your dress up clothes are in the spring green family.

The SCB is sportier and able to be stuffed with not much of a problem, it is my favorite EDC, when I go out on public transport for a day of fun at art supply and bookstores, libraries, museums and just stroll.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a SK, but I posted some pictures of my SCB including waterbottle and A5 notebook in a GWOP here: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post172319

For me the SCB wins hands down for freetime and having fun. There are better bags for work (like my new L12 - first day with it and I love it). But when I don't need to carry much or am just running some quick errands I love my SCB. I like it best when it's not too full, and I'm not a fan of using too many bags or pouches inside other bags. The built in pen slots, the pocket for my phone and the zipped front pocket for small items are usually enough organisation for me though.
    Last edited by b1gsky; 03-27-2019 at 02:16 AM.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I don't have a SK, but I posted some pictures of my SCB including waterbottle and A5 notebook in a GWOP here: https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post172319

For me the SCB wins hands down for freetime and having fun. There are better bags for work (like my new L12 - first day with it and I love it). But when I don't need to carry much or am just running some quick errands I love my SCB. I like it best when it's not too full, and I'm not a fan of using too many bags or pouches inside other bags. The built in pen slots, the pocket for my phone and the zipped front pocket for small items are usually enough organisation for me though.
    Thanks for the feedback! I think maybe I was trying to use too many other bags or the FS and that just did not work for me. I was not able to find your photo from the link, can you directly post it here? Also, can you fit the SCB in your L12? I know that might seem kind of a silly thing to do, but I have an L15 and I usually store my SK in there so I would want the same option with the SCB...

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The main difference is that the SCB is more flexible in what it carry, I am very fond of marsupializing (placing TB items inside TB bags to hold my things).
    I too "marsupialize" for work, with my PT, S19, S25, or L15, depending on my day and the season (winter, the S25 hands down, for all that extra clothing/shoes). My PT I probably favor the most, as I can take one glance in and see what I need. So I would definitely want the SCB to fit comfortably in these bags.

Thank you for the feedback, that helps a lot!

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I think maybe I was trying to use too many other bags or the FS and that just did not work for me. I was not able to find your photo from the link, can you directly post it here? Also, can you fit the SCB in your L12? I know that might seem kind of a silly thing to do, but I have an L15 and I usually store my SK in there so I would want the same option with the SCB...
    Here are the two pictures:

SK to SCB:  EXPERIENCES?-cb7bff63-4867-4f52-9ad5-426a95a3b836-jpeg

SK to SCB:  EXPERIENCES?-f7773342-61b2-4544-a341-499601bb1c40-jpeg

I wouldn't want to pack more into it, that's as full as it gets. This is how it's packed:

Tissues, lip balm, lens cleaning cloth, small Dawn GWOP and work keys in the zipped front pocket
    Phone in the inside pocket, pens in the pen slots
    Notebook and weekly planner in the A5 GWOP
    Plus wallet, water bottle and car/house keys

When I want to carry more I take a bigger bag. Oh and I think the SCB should fit fine into the L12, I'm just not sure how much usable space would be leftover. I'm at work right now, but I can take a picture this evening.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I want to carry more I take a bigger bag. Oh and I think the SCB should fit fine into the L12, I'm just not sure how much usable space would be leftover. I'm at work right now, but I can take a picture this evening.
    Thank you! I actually am considering the aubergine color as well, I like the darker 525. Have to decide if it is neutral enough. I have a Truck in aubergine and just love it. If not aubergine, then probably cloud/cloud.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, hereís the SCB inside my L12. I already said that Iím not someone who carries bags in bags and that I try to avoid unnecessary pouches. So my first reaction to this was - why would someone want to do this?!

But it actually works better than I thought. I wouldnít recommend taking it out too often because putting it into the L12 is annoying (you have to tuck the flap away and find a place for the strap because itís not removable), but when itís inside itís surprisingly manageable. You have to unzip the divider of course, but thereís still enough room for my tall and narrow water bottle in front of the SCB and you can still use the outer pockets of the L12 perfectly. The only thing thatís a bit difficult to reach is the zipped pocket of the SCB and of course the open back pocket is inaccessible because of the flap.

So I have to say Iím never going to do this, but itís definitely an option.

SK to SCB:  EXPERIENCES?-71c5f3c4-016e-4424-9c0c-cc347e3b2e72-jpeg

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    Thank you! I actually am considering the aubergine color as well, I like the darker 525. Have to decide if it is neutral enough. I have a Truck in aubergine and just love it. If not aubergine, then probably cloud/cloud.
    I vote Aubergine. I think it works with everything. I never coordinate my Aubergine bags with my clothing because in my wardrobe it works as a neutral. Depends a bit on what colors you’re wearing of course.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, hereís the SCB inside my L12. I already said that Iím not someone who carries bags in bags and that I try to avoid unnecessary pouches. So my first reaction to this was - why would someone want to do this?!

But it actually works better than I thought. I wouldnít recommend taking it out too often because putting it into the L12 is annoying (you have to tuck the flap away and find a place for the strap because itís not removable), but when itís inside itís surprisingly manageable. You have to unzip the divider of course, but thereís still enough room for my tall and narrow water bottle in front of the SCB and you can still use the outer pockets of the L12 perfectly. The only thing thatís a bit difficult to reach is the zipped pocket of the SCB and of course the open back pocket is inaccessible because of the flap.

So I have to say Iím never going to do this, but itís definitely an option.

SK to SCB:  EXPERIENCES?-71c5f3c4-016e-4424-9c0c-cc347e3b2e72-jpeg
    Thanks, really appreciate that pic! I would not use the SCB in an L12, just figured since you had one and I have an old L12 and the new L15, I could compare from there to see how it would fit in the L15. I think I would have plenty of room for a couple of 3DOC's and my 26 oz water bottle along with the SCB in the L15, so good to know!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote Aubergine. I think it works with everything. I never coordinate my Aubergine bags with my clothing because in my wardrobe it works as a neutral. Depends a bit on what colors youíre wearing of course.
    Yes, I am starting to think the same way, and I have too much in cloud and nebulous grey at this point, need to jazz things up!