Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting weight, maybe a step too far?

I travel a lot around Southeast Asia and most airlines here have a 7kg carry on limit. Because of this Iím trying to keep my bag weight down as much as possible. I have recently been considering cutting off the metal zipper pulls of my Synapse 25 and replacing them with just the paracord and plastic zip pulls that come with all the bags. I know this sounds a bit obsessive, but has anyone done something similar? How much weight does it save? Any other ideas about cutting the base weight of the bag down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate5182 View Post
    I travel a lot around Southeast Asia and most airlines here have a 7kg carry on limit. Because of this Iím trying to keep my bag weight down as much as possible. I have recently been considering cutting off the metal zipper pulls of my Synapse 25 and replacing them with just the paracord and plastic zip pulls that come with all the bags. I know this sounds a bit obsessive, but has anyone done something similar? How much weight does it save? Any other ideas about cutting the base weight of the bag down?

Before doing that, I would do a test pack and weigh the bag. You might not need to take such a drastic measure!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be surprised how little the zipper pulls weigh. And once they are off, there is no way to put them back on.

When I need to cut down on weight, I take my packing list--which lists every item I put in my bag--and ask myself:

1) Do I really need this or is a "what if" item?
    2) Can I cut back in the number I am taking?
    3) Could I easily purchase it at my destination.

If you are still not sure and I do this with health/medical items especially, I ask myself: It is midnight and I need XXX. Do I need it right away or would I be able to wait until the morning to get it when stores open? Or could I take just enough to keep me going until morning when I can replenish my supply?

You could also lay out every item you plan to pack and go all Marie Kondo on it. Sort of. Instead of asking if it brings you joy, ask yourself "Do I really need this"? If not, leave it out.

And when you get back, take a good look at your stuff when you get back and note everything you didn't need or use.

I leave in 9 days for a three month trip. I have been going over my packing list to see what I can omit or replace with something lighter. I haven't done a test pack yet but will over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Christina says. First weigh the back (you've probably already done that). TB says 900g for Ballistic, 832g for Halcyon. Check where yours is weighing in. I'd say you can cut of an burn extra strap length (making sure it's really extra!) before taking off the zip sliders. I count seven sliders, at maybe 5g each (generously) thats 35g. I don't think there's anything wrong with pure cord pulls but they aren't as durable for sure. If you go this road, cut one off first and weigh it and make sure you're making the savings you want. How much do the cords and plastic weigh also? Since they are easily omitted from the bag, then the savings is only the difference between the zip pull and the cord pull. Like 2.5g let's say, then you are only saving 17g which in my world isn't worth it...

Forum Member
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds rather drastic for such small savings. If limited to 7kg then, in my opinion, the big savings are in selecting carefully what you really need to carry. I fully agree with the above posts to consider the need for “what if” items and also what can be purchased easily at destinations. I prefer and as much as possible try to travel with carry on luggage only, but I do sometimes accept that there are times when I do need checked-in luggage.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7kg is 15 1/2 pounds. I travelled through Europe for a month with cold weather and hot weather clothing in an A45 and I still didn't come close to my luggage weighing 7 kg. The zipper pulls are not going to make more than a fraction of a fraction of an ounce difference.

Here's how I weight my bag since my scale won't weight something that light. I get on a scale holding my packed bag, and then I put the bag down and weigh myself. The difference is the weight of the bag.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wear extra layers or move things into my pockets to reduce bag weight before I changed the bag itself.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in this post because I also obsess over getting my bag as lightweight as possible when traveling. Sometimes it's because of airline limits and sometimes just to be easier on my body. I can relate to thinking about how to cut a bag's weight for even the most minute detail.

Nate, what is your bag weighing in at now? What are you packing... clothes mostly? or electronics, as well? Have you been carrying the S25 while traveling with that much weight already? Does it carry comfortably? I guess I'm asking to make sure this bag is right for your situation before you start mutilating it.

Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I know itís a crazy idea and probably not with it. Iíve been toying with the idea for a few years and could find it in me to deface the bag in such away, but ounces make pounds. I donít have a problem staying under 7kg for the most part, but sometimes I pack nonstandard things like snorkel gear or a beach blanket, depending on the destination.

Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lami View Post
    Nate, what is your bag weighing in at now? What are you packing... clothes mostly? or electronics, as well? Have you been carrying the S25 while traveling with that much weight already? Does it carry comfortably? I guess I'm asking to make sure this bag is right for your situation before you start mutilating it.
    I donít go over 7kg. I pack mostly clothes, but occasionally snorkel gear. The only electronics I have are my phone and a battery pack. I donít travel with a laptop unless Iím traveling for work. I donít have any complaints about the bag, Iíve had it for 4 years now and itís served me well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm (pre) packing for a trip right now with snorkel gear, but my backpack is bigger than the S25. If you're fitting full size fins in, I'm impressed!

I'm guessing someone at TB can weigh a zipper pull for you (on Monday) so you can actually know how much weight you'd be gaining.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to only pack items that serve multiple purposes. What top three things do you think are the weight culprits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty good timing. I'd been considering removing my metal pull tabs for quite a while and finally took a cutting wheel to my S19 yesterday. I just weighed the tab variations for you:

Metal pull: Just under 3 grams
    Nylon cord with plastic tab: 2 grams
    Nylon alone and knotted: <1 gram
    Total per zip: 5 grams
    Total per bag: 35 grams

Savings if going from the full setup to nylon alone: 35g - 7g = 28g = 1oz.

I also took the power tools to the Tristar which has bigger tabs (4g) and 11 zips, so the difference is greater there.

So as far as weight, it doesn't matter much unless you're going ultralight and cutting every ounce possible. It's not necessarily about the 1oz savings though- it's the mindset. If you apply that process to every aspect of your packing list you'll save quite a bit.

For me though, I finally cut them off for other reasons. I feel like it cleans up the look of the bag a bit; both of these bags are black ballistic and my opinion was that the silverish tabs just added too much. The other reason was for the jingle.. I knew the bags were loud, even with the pull cords woven figure-eight style through the metal tabs, but I don't think I truly comprehended how loud they were until I removed them and now have a completely silent bagly experience.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add some numbers to give you an idea. Pretty sure I'd recommend it to anyone who's considering doing this. I like my bags even more now because of it, but everyone has different tastes.

Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    This is pretty good timing. I'd been considering removing my metal pull tabs for quite a while and finally took a cutting wheel to my S19 yesterday. I just weighed the tab variations for you:

Metal pull: Just under 3 grams
    Nylon cord with plastic tab: 2 grams
    Nylon alone and knotted: <1 gram
    Total per zip: 5 grams
    Total per bag: 35 grams

Savings if going from the full setup to nylon alone: 35g - 7g = 28g = 1oz.

I also took the power tools to the Tristar which has bigger tabs (4g) and 11 zips, so the difference is greater there.

So as far as weight, it doesn't matter much unless you're going ultralight and cutting every ounce possible. It's not necessarily about the 1oz savings though- it's the mindset. If you apply that process to every aspect of your packing list you'll save quite a bit.

For me though, I finally cut them off for other reasons. I feel like it cleans up the look of the bag a bit; both of these bags are black ballistic and my opinion was that the silverish tabs just added too much. The other reason was for the jingle.. I knew the bags were loud, even with the pull cords woven figure-eight style through the metal tabs, but I don't think I truly comprehended how loud they were until I removed them and now have a completely silent bagly experience.

Anyway, I just thought I'd add some numbers to give you an idea. Pretty sure I'd recommend it to anyone who's considering doing this. I like my bags even more now because of it, but everyone has different tastes.
    Wow, I couldnít ask for a better response. Thanks a lot for the numbers. I agree that the net weight savings is hardly worth it, but Iíve had similar thoughts about the noise they make as well. Thanks again.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did order a Lo & Sons bag before I discovered TB, and I was surprised how freakin heavy the Lo & Sons zipper pulls and logo dangle thingy was. I sent the bag right back. The TB zipper pulls are practically made of air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast