Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Ack! Table gunk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ack! Table gunk

Imagine my shudder when I took out my Alphaviolet A5 today to see if a new notebook would fit...only to discover that at some recent moment, I had put it down onto unseen...table gunk.

My TB collection is used, for sure...and not babied at all...yet still! There shall be no gunk.

Has anyone ever tried a tiiiny smidge of Murphy’s oil soap to remove grease based blech?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but a traveling LSB looked really bad, with a long stain, in the base which I suspected came from gunk, under the seat gunk.

So 7 Generation or a any mild eco-friendly hand dish washing detergent.

I washed the the bag by thoroughly saturating it with water, but the LSB is Cordura.

You might want to spot clean first, with the mild dish hand washing detergent, first by putting a drop of it on the stain then massaging the area, wait and see if anything is still there, then use a soft, used, very clean toothbrush to massage the area.

Then rinse and see if there is still some stuff, do the same thing with Dawn or the local equivalent of non-eco friendly hand dish washing soap.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely call the friendly folks in Customer Service and see what they suggest
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KmK, how did your table-gunked Ghost Whale turn out? Shortly after I read your post I discovered some kind of gunk on the bottom of one of my shop bags, and yesterday I finally got around to washing it. In my case it washed off easily, I just soaked it in warm water with some mild dish soap and the gunk was gone! I didn't even need to scrub it.

I suspect mine must have been some kind of water-based gunk since it washed off so easily, and you said yours seems to be oil-based. Did it come off? What did you use?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turned out fine! I soaked it in warm water and then used an old toothbrush with a drop of Murphy’s on it. Gentle circles and then another soaking rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    KmK, how did your table-gunked Ghost Whale turn out? Shortly after I read your post I discovered some kind of gunk on the bottom of one of my shop bags, and yesterday I finally got around to washing it. In my case it washed off easily, I just soaked it in warm water with some mild dish soap and the gunk was gone! I didn't even need to scrub it.

I suspect mine must have been some kind of water-based gunk since it washed off so easily, and you said yours seems to be oil-based. Did it come off? What did you use?

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    It turned out fine! I soaked it in warm water and then used an old toothbrush with a drop of Murphy’s on it. Gentle circles and then another soaking rinse.
    I'm glad to hear it! And it's good to know that that works.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I degunked my SK and it lost its waterproof coating, so it gets wet when it rains. I keep meaning to get some Nikwax to rewaterproof it, but haven't yet. Just thought I'd mention it to anyone else who removes gunk from a TB bag. You may need to rewaterproof the fabric.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I degunked my SK and it lost its waterproof coating, so it gets wet when it rains. I keep meaning to get some Nikwax to rewaterproof it, but haven't yet. Just thought I'd mention it to anyone else who removes gunk from a TB bag. You may need to rewaterproof the fabric.
    I used Nikwax to re-waterproof my SA that I washed at the same time. I thought about waterproofing the Shop Bag and decided not to for now, but I can always do it later if I change my mind.