Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the new Pilot bigger?

I just bought a second Pilot, because COYOTE, and it's gorgeous. I really don't need two Pilots, but I love my old Aubergine one, too. The new bag has the new shoulder strap attachment points and my old bag has the old

Question, I can't shake the feeling that the new bag is a bit taller than the old bag. Can anyone confirm this?

Forum Member
    Austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you just compare them side by side?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InAustin View Post
    Can't you just compare them side by side?
    That only works if the difference is fairly large/obvious, since new bags are usually quite stiff and the material on older bag more supple/flexible. If there was a subtle change made to the design, it would be hard to tell without TB confirmation.
    For unlined simpler designs (like a Shop Bag), turning it inside out to match up seams is a bit easier, but with complicated lined bags it is quite hard if the change was small.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried to line up the side seams where the piping is, and it seems like the Coyote bag is 1/2 inch taller. But if I put my cache inside the back pocket and try to see what extra room is at the top, I don't see any extra height.

I'm not complaining about the extra room. I'm just not sure if the slightly different design, or the different color, or the unused vs. used fabric is affecting my judgement. It seems like the zippers are slightly differently proportioned, too. It's a bit hard to photograph this just as it is hard for me to line the bags up to compare. Maybe I need to stuff them both full of towels so they are poofed out?

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I just bought a second Pilot, because COYOTE, and it's gorgeous. I really don't need two Pilots, but I love my old Aubergine one, too. The new bag has the new shoulder strap attachment points and my old bag has the old

Question, I can't shake the feeling that the new bag is a bit taller than the old bag. Can anyone confirm this?
    What are the new shoulder strap attachment points for the Pilot? I didn't know that one was changing! On the website it looks like the Coyote and Black Halcyon Pilots' should strap attachment points are about an inch lower than on any other color, but that's all I can tell from the photos; is the change just that they're lower?

P.S. What will you do about the temptation to carry two Pilots around so you can have the Aubergine and Coyote side by side?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They moved the attachment point so it wasn't next to the zipper.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-09-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, photos, so you don't think I'm nuts.

Coyote is the new bag. Aubergine is the old one (2 years old?)

Both facing left.

Is the new Pilot bigger?-fullsizeoutput_c1f-jpg

Front to front.

Is the new Pilot bigger?-fullsizeoutput_c20-jpg

Facing me.

Is the new Pilot bigger?-fullsizeoutput_c21-jpg

And I've measured them, and they are both EXACTLY the same size. Weird? Huh?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-09-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos! How do you like the change? And yes, that's VERY weird that they look so different yet have the same measurements!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a miracle! @BWeaves you have captured the elusive TARDIS EFFECT in photos! They usually don't let the bags out of the factory until after the special TARDIS EFFECT TREATMENT cools off and shrinks to its smaller, ordinary looking size. elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my eyes the left side of the Coyote bag looks bigger than the right side. It's not just in the photos. It looks that way in real life, too. And yet, they measure the same size. I'm gobsmacked.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe its because the front pockets haven't sank down yet? These ballistic nylon bags relax a bit after aging. But they do look quite different in the photos...

...I blame Countron.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faulty chameleon circuit?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love all the TARDIS references. That has to be it. Timelord technology and a faulty chameleon circuit. Love it!

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zippered part on the coyote is clearly taller, even if the overall dimensions are the same -- you see it clearly in the front to front photo. The both facing left photo shows how the other side is the same size.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried stuffing something in the front pockets on the coyote to fill them out at the bottom? I'm looking at that dimple at the bottom of the front pocket (in the top and middle photos) on the coyote and guessing it's going to settle in with use and end up shaped like the aubergine is now.

Both are beautiful colors, btw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast