Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    Have to disagree here. I carry a laptop with me Monday through Friday but on weekends and while leisure-traveling, I usually leave my laptop at home, so I love being able to yank the computer and its accoutrements out of the bag to free up space for other goodies. This is one of the main attractions of the Bihn approach, as far as I'm concerned. The modular setup lets me reconfigure my bag for work and not-work use. It's one of the reasons I just can't warm up to the Ristretto.
    In town, I flip around between a ristretto and a MB + horizontal cache, depending on how much stuff I need to haul around. The best thing about the ristretto IMO is that I can just drop it in my brainbag when I go on a trip without worrying about pens and doodads etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Brain Bag was purchased in 2006, it still looks new. Since then computer sizes have fluctuated, a lot. I have a Brain Cell and a first generation Cache for the older laptops.

I bought a Cache for one of the first mini laptops, which became obsolete, very quickly. I still use the same Cache for my iPad Mini. I also bought Padded Pouches for the early models tablets, I still use them for that first model and a Kobo ereader and their power bricks.

I think the integrated Padded area is great for a minimalist backpack, when one only needs a phone or, a phablet or, a tablet, for a Spring or Autumn stroll, in an interesting neighborhood.

It is an all different ballgame, when a laptop, paperwork, textbooks and notebooks, and a bigger backpack are needed. I don't want a dedicated padded area in my S19 and my Brain Bag would have been obsolete a long time ago, if it had the humongous laptop built in sleeve.

Furthermore, a Cache can be moved from a backpack to the tote, which mean one investment protective compartment, for my laptop or tablets, in all my TB bags.

Some events cannot be attended with a backpack, sometimes, even the size of one's bag is dictated, for security reason.

During these times, it is great to have padded protective cases that moves with the laptop or other electronics.

I don't trust cheap sleeves to protect electronics, I use either strong plastic all around shields or TB Padded Pouches or Caches.

Both are most expensive, the first becomes obsolete, when the devices it protects, has to be replaced. I still use the TB Padded Pouches and Caches I bought many years ago.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-05-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nolegrl - Do you carry a water bottle in the front middle pocket? I find when I do, the bottle encroaches in the main compartment just enough that I don't like to put my ipad in the elastic pouch. I'm concerned pressure of the bottle against the device could crack the latter.

I'm still experimenting with the best way to pack my S25 and may start switching the water bottle to the bottom compartment.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the cache in concept but have a couple of issues. The first is they're a little too bulky. Since I'm carrying the cache inside the pack, I don't need a lot of bulk to protect my PC. That preference may be limited but mostly what I want is modest padding to protect my PC against other bag items rubbing up against it and protection of the base. A bag mod I'd love to see for the Synapse is for the base to be padded, at least in the main compartment.

My other cache issue is the gate thingies. I'm at a point in life where sometimes my hands stiffen up and when that happens, the gate thingies are hard to open. I may have to experiment with carabiners instead.
    Last edited by KathyH; 04-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    @Nolegrl - Do you carry a water bottle in the front middle pocket? I find when I do, the bottle encroaches in the main compartment just enough that I don't like to put my ipad in the elastic pouch. I'm concerned pressure of the bottle against the device could crack the latter.

I'm still experimenting with the best way to pack my S25 and may start switching the water bottle to the bottom compartment.
    I don't, I have a small travel umbrella in there. That's interesting you mentioned that though because I didn't think that would have been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post

My other cache issue is the gate thingies. I'm at a point in life where sometimes my hands stiffen up and when that happens, the gate thingies are hard to open. I may have to experiment with carabiners instead.
    The easy solution to this problem is... don't use em. I just don't get a lot of value out of having the cache attached to the bag.

As for the cache being bulky... really? anything slimmer and you might as well just not use anything at all imo.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see Tom Bihn is now making bags with built in dedicated laptop compartments!!!! The Synik 22 and 30 are a dream come true for me!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3