Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Built in Computer Compartment??

Love Tom Bihn bags, but, I wish Tom would start making built in, permanent computer compartments, especially on the Brain Bag and Synapse models. Any one else agree??

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Love Tom Bihn bags, but, I wish Tom would start making built in, permanent computer compartments, especially on the Brain Bag and Synapse models. Any one else agree??
    I don't travel with a computer so I am grateful not to have a laptop compartment in my Synapse. And that's the beauty of the modular organizing system (OPs, cubes, caches, key straps, o-rings): it is customizable to suit what you need, even from trip to trip or day to day!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I move my stuff around in my bags and as often as computers come an go and get updated, I would not want built-ins in my bags.

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry as few electronics as possible (daily and especially when I travel) and I avoid bags and sometimes brands that insist on building in padded/protective compartments for computers or electronics. With the constantly changing landscape of computer/tablet sizes and shapes I would expect a bag to be obsolete in a short period of time.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to disagree here. I carry a laptop with me Monday through Friday but on weekends and while leisure-traveling, I usually leave my laptop at home, so I love being able to yank the computer and its accoutrements out of the bag to free up space for other goodies. This is one of the main attractions of the Bihn approach, as far as I'm concerned. The modular setup lets me reconfigure my bag for work and not-work use. It's one of the reasons I just can't warm up to the Ristretto.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a new laptop every 6-12 months at work, and the sizes always vary. I prefer to use appropriately-sized caches. And when I travel for non-business reasons, I never bring a laptop, so the ability to remove the cache entirely is a bonus.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said in another thread I really like TB not having built-in laptop compartment, it makes the bag heavier and less modular, more rigid organisation
    but I do understand why it could be needed for some folks who live with a laptop, if the laptop size changes, the compartment remains so no need of another cache...
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know why the Brain Bag is called that?
    They no longer sell the Brain Cell for which it was designed but the Brain Bag was designed as a dedicated Computer Bag!
    It turned out that Modular seemed to be a pretty good design call as the bag is still sold while the Brain Cell Computer Inserts are now long gone.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like built in computer compartments for the same reason I don't like built in phone pockets. The tech is always changing size and shape. I have so many obsolete bags where I cannot repurpose the computer or phone pocket. I'd rather buy a cache for each computer and use it if I need it and leave it out if I don't need it. Plus I can move it between bags.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I don't like built in computer compartments for the same reason I don't like built in phone pockets. The tech is always changing size and shape. I have so many obsolete bags where I cannot repurpose the computer or phone pocket. I'd rather buy a cache for each computer and use it if I need it and leave it out if I don't need it. Plus I can move it between bags.
    It's weird going into my closet and seeing 7-8 year old bags with dedicated cell phone pockets and noting how tiny they are compared to the devices we all carry now.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's a reference to the bag that pilots (Tom's dad was a pilot) carry on every flight, holding charts and other essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Do you know why the Brain Bag is called that?
    They no longer sell the Brain Cell for which it was designed but the Brain Bag was designed as a dedicated Computer Bag!
    It turned out that Modular seemed to be a pretty good design call as the bag is still sold while the Brain Cell Computer Inserts are now long gone.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather keep my laptop in a sleeve so I can move it other bags I have. Don't need a dedicated and integrated laptop sleeve built in.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely need to bring my computer with me when I leave the house (I work from home), so I prefer the option to take the protective sleeve out. Actually I often don't even bother with a sleeve/cache most of the time - I prefer to have the space available for other things. Either I pad the bag with something else I'm taking with me (e.g. a hoody, a notebook, a scarf), or I rely on the bag's structure (Smart Alec has padding on the bottom), or I just make a mental note not to let my bag slam into things as I move around.

I do think there are many, many bag manufacturers which provide built-in compartments, so it's not like it's an unserved need. But, none of those bags are as useful to me as TB gear, so I never buy them any more. (In fact, I have gotten rid of almost all the bags we have with that built-in feature - they just never get used.)

- Oh, but I just realized that the Luminaries have padded compartments. I don't have one of those yet so I don't know how I will like that feature. But I am sure TB has put a lot of thought into making it as multi-functional as possible! Maybe a Luminary would work for your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also disagree, due to the changing sizes of the hardware. That being said, my own hardware has remained a 15" MBP (now Touch Bar generation) that fits nicely into one of the old Brain Cells in my EDC Brain Bag. It's great.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Tom Bihn bags last much longer than any particular computer hardware model. I'm glad the computer compartments are modularized and separate from the bags themselves. And if I'm not traveling with whatever tech component(s) the bag has a dedicated pocket for, I'd want to free up that space for other things.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast