Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manufacturing change in Synapse 25?

I noticed the back side of the water bottle pocket (the side closer to the main compartment) is now entirely made from the black mesh-like material instead of half Halcyon. As a result, the two holes normally found at the bottom of the pocket are gone. Is this standard on all new Synapse backpacks? Does anyone know when this change was made?

Manufacturing change in Synapse 25?-s25-12-png

Manufacturing change in Synapse 25?-s25-1q-png
    Last edited by healthydetail; 04-07-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added photos

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums, @healthydetail! That's an interesting observation--my S25 is from a couple of years ago, so I haven't seen that. I'll be interested to read the answers to your questions.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought two a couple months ago: Black Ballistic/Island and Black Ballistic/Wasabi...I just checked them and both have halcyon-backed water bottle pockets.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone posted about this on Facebook so I asked CS, and this is what Kat said:

"We have indeed tweaked the design of the water bottle pocket on the Synapse 25 a bit. The mesh that divides the side pockets is now more of a 'triangle' shape rather than a cylinder. This eliminates those quirky 'Synapse gaps' between the water bottle pocket and the side pockets. and increases room in those side pockets, while not taking out too much room from the center pocket. Bigger water bottles such as the 40oz Hydro Flask won't fit, but they were too tall/wide for the original design as well."

No idea exactly when the change was made but it was pretty recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I just compared to my older Synapse and the side pockets are noticeably larger now. In the older design, the pocket is roughly the width of my hand, fingers closed. In the new design, I can almost fully spread my fingers due to the increased width.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Bigger water bottles such as the 40oz Hydro Flask won't fit, but they were too tall/wide for the original design as well."
    I carry my 40oz. hydroflask on a regular basis in that pocket, and have even fit a half gallon/64oz mason jar in there when the bag was relatively unpacked.

Interesting change. I imagine I'm in the minority of people who carry a massive water bottle though, so it's nice that it gives the side pockets a little extra room.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wondered why my Synapse 25 GE had those holes on both sides of the water bottle pocket. I don't tend to keep any loose change or loose pens on the side pockets but I can see how small items could make their way to the water bottle pocket and vice versa. I thought it a bit odd but not a major issue for me. I take this bag everywhere with me!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust77 View Post
    I bought two a couple months ago: Black Ballistic/Island and Black Ballistic/Wasabi...I just checked them and both have halcyon-backed water bottle pockets.
    I think those were the last of the old stock, because I have been waiting for a halcyon/island one and ordered it as soon as it came in stock and it has the new configuration.

I am not 100% sure i am a fan, but I will just have to get used to it. It seems like you have to pay more attention to putting the water bottle in or little things migrating from the pockets will block it. I'm not carrying a huge bottle - just a 20 oz contigo... I can easily fit 2 of them side by side in the s25 pocket with the old design.

I do appreciate the lack of holes, but I was kinda used to my flashlight migrating to the middle pocket

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a new S25 made with the new style water bottle pocket and in case anyone is wondering, a full 3DOC now fits very comfortably in the side pockets with no squishing. A First or Second Aid Kit will now fit in the side pockets with a little squishing, much like the 3DOC fit in the smaller side pockets. Very spacious!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost made a new thread for this but thought I would put these here for now.

I took my new S25 out on Saturday for a long walk through a park. I was delighted to find out that my Travel Cubelet now fits in the bigger side pockets!

Here is an Aubergine TC in a side pocket:

Here is a 3DOC in the other pocket:

There is noticeably less room in the water bottle pocket but my Contigo Autoseal 16oz still fits just fine even with the full side pockets.

I am delighted to be able to bag-in-bag this way with my Travel Cubelet. Especially so since the side pockets are accessible with the bag on one shoulder, swung down. It is easy to get out my essentials when I need them without removing the whole bag.

Edited to add:

As noted in the thread below, the Side Effect also fits in the side pocket if you angle the top in first:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The Side Effect does fit! It's a little too long for the opening of the pocket but there is some hidden space above the zipper. If you put the top end in first like the first pic, then put the bottom in, it will fit better.

The top angling in first:

The whole SE in the pocket:
    Last edited by Cristina; 05-19-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Changed post into thread

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was amused to learn this week while on a trip that my kindle paperwhite actually fits in one of the side compartments. I'd never do this for fear of bending/breaking it but it does fit. But thanks to this thread I've repurposed some of my smaller clear or dyneema organizer pouches. It's not the stuff taking up the space, it's if one or two small things juts out into the space that causes it to be hard to insert a bottle, but with the organizers it tends to stay in place better.