Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ONE Change to the Synapse

There is nothing I would change about the synapse other than the laptop situation.

I really do not want the extra laptop cache that is available. I carry my laptop in the main compartment's pouch which is perfect other than it has absolutely no padding on the bottom. I would love to see just a simple layer of padding added to the bottom lining of the pouch.

Does anyone else feel this way or have any solutions to the problem?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by payder1 View Post
    There is nothing I would change about the synapse other than the laptop situation.

I really do not want the extra laptop cache that is available. I carry my laptop in the main compartment's pouch which is perfect other than it has absolutely no padding on the bottom. I would love to see just a simple layer of padding added to the bottom lining of the pouch.

Welcome to the Forums @payder1!

See this post & the following discussion... there's a strong rumor that a version may be in the future

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post174698
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little padding on the bottom and back would solve it for me. The alternative is a Synapse version with laptop compartment.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to see how Tom Bihn would add a laptop compartment to the Synapse. I carry a laptop 75% of the time, but most laptop compartments are too inconvenient when not filled with a laptop.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I roll a small hand towel (sometimes even some clean socks) and put it at the bottom of the cache. Piece of cake.

Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope they have it as an alternate option. When I travel I almost never bring my laptop (usually just the iPad) and the few times I have, a cache has been all I needed. I'm considering a working vacation later this year where I'd need the laptop and even then I still would rather have the removable cache.

But everyone has different travel needs and I think having the option for those that want it is a good idea.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, Travel Tray

...a book is a fragile creature, it suffers the wear of time, it fears rodents, the elements, clumsy hands. If for a hundred and a hundred years everyone had been able freely to handle our codices, the majority of them would no longer exist. So the librarian protects them not only against mankind but also against nature, and devotes his life to this war with the forces of oblivion, the enemy of truth.
    ― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Virginia, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my S25 this week, and was surprised/disappointed to find the internal laptop pouch. I'm not sure if that's what's being discussed here, and I know it takes no space, it's just, well, there. A superfluous sheet of fabric. I use my backpack as my daily carry bag for work (lunch and gym clothes,) and don't have a laptop. Unfortunately, any future edition would be missing the main draw of the particular bag I just bought: Nordic Halcyon. Frown
    Last edited by glarus; 05-08-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen people use that pocket for a laptop/tablet but I never understood it because it seems to distribute the weight poorly--away from your back. I will say that it does get in the way and I've wondered what the dividing pocket was for. I'd probably have preferred one giant large internal compartment.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the pocket inside the main compartment of the Synapse. It's a great place to stash smaller things that might otherwise have nowhere to go, like a small notebook, a hat and gloves, etc.

I don't use it for a laptop but I realize it works surprisingly well for that!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do not want a laptop pocket in the Synapses. When I've had bags with a dedicated laptop pocket, things disappear in there and I spend a few minutes panicking that I've left something behind. The short pocket works for me because I can still see into it. I usually put an extra layer of clothing in there - tucked away so it's not mixed up with items I use more often, but accessible if/when I need it.

If - IF - there were to be a dedicated compartment - I'd want it to be like the Luminary pocket - zipped up so it's not in the way. Or just add padding to the bottom of the Synapse. But then it's heavier. No, I really prefer the option of a separate sleeve (which is what I use). Then I only have to carry the padding if I want to.

(I have more than one S19 so if they ever make the change - I'm safe with my old-skool Synapses!! Big Grin)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt a layer of foam at the bottom of a synapse is going to make the bag noticeably more heavy, it's just foam. They could do what the camera bag makers use and have it removable with velcro, that would solve the issue of people that want a laptop bag vs. those that don't.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take a piece of foam and score one side so that I can fold it to sit in the bottom of the bag and then rise a little bit up the sides.
    There is always stuff in front and back of a computer in my bags so then I now have protection for the sides and bottom too.

Foam is not very heavy at all either??

Otherwise I use a sleeve of some kind depending on which computer I take.

It is what it is and I like what it is as it is!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to see how Tom Bihn would add a laptop compartment to the Synapse. I carry a laptop 75% of the time, but most laptop compartments are too inconvenient when not filled with a laptop.
    Agreed. I use both my S25 and S19s for different purposes so appreciate being able to remove the laptop section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I just take a piece of foam and score one side so that I can fold it to sit in the bottom of the bag and then rise a little bit up the sides.
    There is always stuff in front and back of a computer in my bags so then I now have protection for the sides and bottom too.

Foam is not very heavy at all either??

Otherwise I use a sleeve of some kind depending on which computer I take.

It is what it is and I like what it is as it is!
    I do something similar in the middle section of my Tristar. I can then rest a daylight briefcase with laptop inside (no cache) on the foam layer at the bottom. Work really well and is a cheap hack. Im sure it would work equally well in the synapses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my S25 for about a month now. +1 on the padded bottom. I like that it doesn't have a dedicated sleeve - that's fine by me (I prefer that it doesn't - I don't always carry a laptop). A padded bottom is a good compromise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast