Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thoughts on the Travel Cubelet

I've been trying out my new TC on lunchtime walks and I'm still not sure what to think. I ordered the "mini strap" on Amazon to go with it.

In it, I've got my TB wallet, my cell phone and my glasses in their case. To my chagrin, I am still experiencing back pain/twinges--but at least the strap did not end up crawling into my neck and cutting into it. I just don't get why I have so much trouble with bags. Even after a while, a (lightly loaded) backpack starts to bother me. There is something special about crossbody bags. I've even tried hip packs. I do calisthenics every day specifically targeted to strengthening my back and still...

I think it may have to do with my bad posture. I tend to slouch and stick my stomach out a lot. I've been working on this for, what, 30+ years?

What can I say? :sigh:

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try the scarf/wrap-style straps? Or what about these? ENVY STRAPS - Envy Accessories, Okotoks, Alberta. (actually it looks like they have the scarf straps too, but also X-type harnesses and wrist straps as well. They are intended for cameras but I imagine you could clip the Travel Cubelet onto their straps too.) I bet the X-type with a chest clip would do a great job of redistributing weight.

ETA: Also I wonder if wearing crossbody or backpack straps is subliminally causing you to lift your shoulders towards your ears, constricting your neck. Sometimes these things show up in different places (i.e. neck strain --> back pain). I was having neck issues for a while and then I realized my large purse was causing me to hunch my shoulder on one side. I switched to a backpack and that fixed the issue. What about yoga to even everything out? Might be a combination of posture/strengthening as you said + finding the right bags.
    Last edited by haraya; 05-10-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ladyinblack, you may have already done this if you are doing calisthenics, but have you considered seeing a physical therapist? Sometimes they are able to identify muscle or structural imbalances that may need attention. Perhaps something like that could be contributing to your discomfort? Wishing you the best of luck in your quest.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After wearing a very full LSB, for the past summers and on trips, I realized that my carrying side has stronger/bigger muscles, which isn't bad.

But, I was glad to switch to my S19 when the weather turned rainy, or snowy. Spring is back and I am still hanging on to my S19. I was telling myself that the frequent rains are the cause of not switching back to my zipperless LSB, but I think, that my back is more comfortable with a backpack.

I used to carry a Brain Bag loaded with as much stuff, even weighting more than the LSB without any problem.

Maybe the OP could carry the Travel Cubelet as a mini backpack by using the TB strap on one O ring and the other strap on the other O ring.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Did you try the scarf/wrap-style straps? Or what about these? ENVY STRAPS - Envy Accessories, Okotoks, Alberta. (actually it looks like they have the scarf straps too, but also X-type harnesses and wrist straps as well. They are intended for cameras but I imagine you could clip the Travel Cubelet onto their straps too.) I bet the X-type with a chest clip would do a great job of redistributing weight.

ETA: Also I wonder if wearing crossbody or backpack straps is subliminally causing you to lift your shoulders towards your ears, constricting your neck. Sometimes these things show up in different places (i.e. neck strain --> back pain). I was having neck issues for a while and then I realized my large purse was causing me to hunch my shoulder on one side. I switched to a backpack and that fixed the issue. What about yoga to even everything out? Might be a combination of posture/strengthening as you said + finding the right bags.
    No, I haven't tried either of those straps. My trip is tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I had not thought of the shoulder lifting--maybe I am doing it subconsciously.

I'd love to attend a yoga class or do it at home. I did used to take classes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @ladyinblack, you may have already done this if you are doing calisthenics, but have you considered seeing a physical therapist? Sometimes they are able to identify muscle or structural imbalances that may need attention. Perhaps something like that could be contributing to your discomfort? Wishing you the best of luck in your quest.
    Thank you! I haven't the money for a physical therapist (health insurance will not cover it). But it is something I should consider.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    After wearing a very full LSB, for the past summers and on trips, I realized that my carrying side has stronger/bigger muscles, which isn't bad.

But, I was glad to switch to my S19 when the weather turned rainy, or snowy. Spring is back and I am still hanging on to my S19. I was telling myself that the frequent rains are the cause of not switching back to my zipperless LSB, but I think, that my back is more comfortable with a backpack.

I used to carry a Brain Bag loaded with as much stuff, even weighting more than the LSB without any problem.

Maybe the OP could carry the Travel Cubelet as a mini backpack by using the TB strap on one O ring and the other strap on the other O ring.
    That's an interesting suggestion, but I'll also be wearing a backpack. The TC is just to keep things at my fingertips that I want to get at without swinging the backpack around.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    That's an interesting suggestion, but I'll also be wearing a backpack. The TC is just to keep things at my fingertips that I want to get at without swinging the backpack around.
    That is what I do with the SCB or TC as well, with the S19.

Maybe using a regular strap around your waist would help balance the weight.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I have used Single Gatekeepers to attach a Side Effect to the Padded Hip Belt for this very purpose! I wish the TC also had those webbing loops for Gatekeepers. I'm not the only one who might occasionally like to make it a waist bag.