Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish List for the Synapse

I would love to hear any minor changes anyone would want for their Synapse 19 or 25s!

Hereís my list:
    *move either the quick grab compartment or the water bottle compartment zip so they open from opposite sides
    *just a little padding at the bottom of the main compartment pouch for laptops
    *better zip pulls. This is the only real downside to Tom Bihn. These zip pulls are the worse I have ever used

And a few other notes:
    *maybe get a free or discounted accessory when you purchase a bag (I donít really know where to start with accessories or pouches. But if I had the option to get one for a little cheaper when I originally purchased the bag, I would be much more inclined to go back and purchase more)
    *add a Cordura option for the 19
    *bring back the laptop caches without zips

Amityville, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shoulder straps need to be reconfigured/redesigned. I love both the S19 and S25 synapses but they are not as comfortable as I would like them due to how they feel on my shoulders. Iíve read on here how many people complain the straps donít sit well on their shoulders so I know Iím not alone. The S25 feels better on me but the S19 was/is a better size for my edc commute needs. I took a gamble and purchased a Luminary 15 in the hope the fit would be better. I am happy to say it does and will replace my S19 for my edc duties. I still think the synapses are the best designed backpacks made and really miss the pocket configuration for my commute utility. I would consider buying a redesigned synapse - maybe a S22 with skinnier straps and a outer laptop compartment like the luminary 15 has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by payder1 View Post
    I would love to hear any minor changes anyone would want for their Synapse 19 or 25s!

*just a little padding at the bottom of the main compartment pouch for laptops
    *better zip pulls. This is the only real downside to Tom Bihn. These zip pulls are the worse I have ever used
    Yes and yes! I ordered an S25 last year but sent it back. I'm about to order an S19 and remember both of these being an issue, especially those pesky HUGE zipper pulls that made me sound like a sleigh pulled by reindeer as I walked around with the pack.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, and those shoulder straps. I'm hoping the S19 will work better than the S25 since that backpack didn't sit well on my frame at all (5'6" but longer torso) but after seeing @gmgsearch post above, maybe not. Still, I NEED a larger pack and I'm only into TB bags, so it is what it is.

Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree an S22 would make me very happy!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love, love my Synapse 25 (and I think it's the best backpack there is), but a more padded back and bottom, along with better shoulder straps would make it just perfect.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the first point is interesting. Why would you want the water bottle and quick grab zips to be on opposite sides?

I pondered it for a second, thinking it'd be easier recognition, but then a colored zipper pull cord would serve the same purpose. Meanwhile, if you opened the wrong pull, you'd have to zip it closed, and your hand would be ready for the other pull right there when the zippers start from the same side.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post
    I think the first point is interesting. Why would you want the water bottle and quick grab zips to be on opposite sides?

I pondered it for a second, thinking it'd be easier recognition, but then a colored zipper pull cord would serve the same purpose. Meanwhile, if you opened the wrong pull, you'd have to zip it closed, and your hand would be ready for the other pull right there when the zippers start from the same side.
    That was the one point I fully agreed with in the original post (well, that and I too miss the non-zip caches). It would be an easy way to know which pocket one was opening, without looking. One would be unlikely to open the wrong pocket at all, so it wouldn't matter whether one's hand was in the right position to open the other pocket.

Right now one can approximate the effect by adding a pull cord to one zipper and leaving the other one alone, but I can understand the desire to have the zippers go opposite directions.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by experimentjon View Post

I would be glad to elaborate a little!
    The quick grab zip sits directly on top of the water bottle zip so the issue is when I reach without looking. I have found myself reaching and grabbing both of them, recognizing which one is on the top or bottom and then dropping the one I donít need.
    If I knew the water bottle zipped from the left side, then I could grab to that side and vice versa.
    Of course, It is a very small detail that I wasnít sure if anyone else had thoughts about!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realized until reading these posts, but I never actually zip the water bottle pocket closed.

I carry 16oz Nalgene bottles, so they sit pretty far down into the WB pocket - they are not going to randomly fall out. I pull one arm out of the strap, swing the bag under my other arm and pull the bottle out - no unzipping or figuring out which pocket is which.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 2 more O-Rings in the main compartment, opposite the 2 existing O-Rings might be a good idea. My Laptop Cache, when installed, covers up the ones currently in place. So having 4 means guaranteed access to 2 if you're a Cache user...

Mississippi
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I never realized until reading these posts, but I never actually zip the water bottle pocket closed.

I carry 16oz Nalgene bottles, so they sit pretty far down into the WB pocket - they are not going to randomly fall out. I pull one arm out of the strap, swing the bag under my other arm and pull the bottle out - no unzipping or figuring out which pocket is which.
    Interesting. I carry a 25oz CamelBak Chute Mag bottle. It sits towards the very top, but it definitely wouldnít fall out. But I do not think I could ever just not zip a compartment. I am way too obsessive and compulsive for that haha!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by payder1 View Post
    Interesting. I carry a 25oz CamelBak Chute Mag bottle. It sits towards the very top, but it definitely wouldn’t fall out. But I do not think I could ever just not zip a compartment. I am way too obsessive and compulsive for that haha!
    So funny... I carry a 20oz contigo, and the lid is just high enough that I notice it when zipping the bag closed, but it has never fallen out and I rarely zip it for short trips. It's so snug in there and even didn't fall out once when the bag fell forward off the front seat of my car. But when I'm gonna be out and about I do zip it, I just think it's funny we worry about this when our only option used to be a shoddy mesh sleeve that was lucky to go halfway up a bottle!