Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, thank you so much for a surprise debut!

I was just thinking that the Crew had been quietly enjoying the late spring and early summer weather, but of course, at The Mothership, creative minds are always creating.

The 210 Ballistic new items are especially welcomed! Sooo yummy! So much for, don't worry wallet, no more orders until the winter holidays.

All that is wonderful to alleviate a couple of stressful days.

However, the news of the Guardian Light going away is not reassuring, at all.

It is a lifesavers when thunderstorms come in the middle of the night.

Already, in the U.S, there has been the most tornadoes in a month, since recorded history.
    During severe thunderstorm weather, it gets dark in the middle of the day with little or no warning, it is usually a sign that the storm(s) can produce tornadoes.

Could you post updates in this forum when the last batch of Guardian Lights is about to be available?
    Last edited by backpack; 06-04-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Note: in other news, we're retiring Iberian and Wasabi 200d Halcyon, as well as Nordic 400d Halcyon. Our current plan is to offer a rotating "limited edition" color of 200d Halcyon in the future (we don't yet have timeline on the new color yet, or even what it'll be!), and it's possible that in a couple of years Iberian or Wasabi are brought back to be that rotating color. No new colors of 400d are planned; Black remains the most popular color ever. And an early heads-up: all versions of our Guardian Lights will also retire after they're restocked one more time (that'll be within the next two weeks).
    I know whatever you and the Crew pick as new colour(s) will be a lot of fun and coordinate well with many of the exterior fabrics.... but I'm still going to lobby for some favorites

Return of Solar, Zest, Monarch

More happy citrus colors! A bright lime green or a halcyon version of the current 210 Grass...
    Lots of folks have asked for pink... I'd like either a vintagy/dusky pink or a bright happy watermelon

And a cool tone lilac

I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear wasabi is being retired, but if other colours are going to used, could there be a return of sitka please? Sitka is a most beautiful green colour and I would love to see it again.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I was just thinking that the Crew had been quietly enjoying the late spring and early summer weather, but of course, at The Mothership, creative minds are always creating.
    We're doing that too! The snow has melted so we're happily back to the trails.

Already, in the U.S, there has been the most tornadoes in a month, since recorded history.
    During severe thunderstorm weather, it gets dark in the middle of the day with little or no warning, it is usually a sign that the storm(s) can produce tornadoes.

Could you post updates in this forum when the last batch of Guardian Lights is about to be available?
    I will post an update when the last batches of Guardian Lights are once again available. It's worth noting too that there's a version of the Guardian Light available on Amazon. The version we offer is military spec and made in Canada; the version on Amazon is made in China. Otherwise, they're similar, and the version on Amazon is available in more colors.

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I know whatever you and the Crew pick as new colour(s) will be a lot of fun and coordinate well with many of the exterior fabrics.... but I'm still going to lobby for some favorites

Return of Solar, Zest, Monarch

More happy citrus colors! A bright lime green or a halcyon version of the current 210 Grass...
    Lots of folks have asked for pink... I'd like either a vintagy/dusky pink or a bright happy watermelon

And a cool tone lilac

Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    I'm sorry to hear wasabi is being retired, but if other colours are going to used, could there be a return of sitka please? Sitka is a most beautiful green colour and I would love to see it again.
    Requests for bringing back Solar, Zest, Monarch and Sitka are noted! (I'll throw in a vote for Fjord myself.) I do think we'll bring back one or more of those, but the first new color may be a totally new one....
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple more Super Mini GW options...

Travel jewelry pouch

New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic-img_20190604_170439-1-jpg

New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic-img_20190604_170552-1-jpg

And similar to @maverick's headphones, the iPod fits in nicely with the headphones... I had been using the mini Q-Kit for this, but this works well too, especially if you need a flatter pouch

New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic-img_20190604_170755-1-jpg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a good "wallet that doesn't look like a wallet" wallet...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darcy, thank you so much for a surprise

@backpack,

People keep forgetting that the Skookum Dog Guardian light is exactly the same as the regular Guardian Light, but with a Coyote Plastic Base instead of a Black color. (Hint: it goes great at the bottom of a Guide's Edition Synapse 25 with Coyote trim). The different color plastic domes (red and white) are interchangeable, too.

(Sorry for the weird view in the picture, but this is excerpted from my post (#32) at the end of the Anyone Else Desperate for the S25 Guide? thread, where I was answering a question about whether it's possible to attach a (Guide's Pack) Lead's Pocket to the bottom of the Guide's Edition Synapse 25. (It's not really well designed for this, but I did hack a way to do this).

These are the different Guardian Lights (original strap base on top). The color balance on the Coyote in this lighting is off: it's the same light as shown attached to the Guide's Edition Synapse 25 above.

You can still order the Skookum Dog Guardian Light right now if you don't mind the Coyote color in the base. (For some Coyote enthusiasts that's an extra feature!).

moriond

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    [...]

Requests for bringing back Solar, Zest, Monarch and Sitka are noted! (I'll throw in a vote for Fjord myself.) I do think we'll bring back one or more of those, but the first new color may be a totally new one....
    Yes yes yes ! thank you (waiting and ordering will be hard but I'm thrilled they could come back)

I love the super mini GWP and ballistic Deluxe Spiff Kit ! did I order mine to soon ? will I order a second one ? will I finally order a gardian light ? decision decision... oh! and I need at least one more wasabi stuff...
    Last edited by Rei; 06-05-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I credit Tom Bihn Crew for reviving my love for true colors in the orange family (color I perceive having cool undertones). Love Zest and Monarch!

Fjord is lovely, I need to find more pictures of Sitka.

My Guardian Light is from the very first or at most the second batch offered by The Crew.
    It is still going on the original set of batteries.

I know, it is going to be there for me when I need it.

While checking maps for tumultuous weather, I also check the conditions in the regions where friends and family resides, including the Mothership area. I am delighted that the beautiful hiking weather is gracing the Pacific North West.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    And similar to @maverick's headphones, the iPod fits in nicely with the headphones... I had been using the mini Q-Kit for this, but this works well too, especially if you need a flatter pouch

New! #5 Wallet, Super Mini Ghost Whale, and bags in 210d ballistic-img_20190604_170755-1-jpg
    Thank you for the iPod pic. As soon as I saw the new Super Mini I ordered one to hold my iPod and earbuds, hoping that it will fit. I too was using a mini Q-kit but really needed a flat pouch, which will work better in my Pilot.
    Last edited by aedifica; 06-05-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: quote attribution had gotten lost

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A completely new colour? Ooooh, how intriguing. I am going to miss Wasabi, which is my favourite internal colour.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @backpack,

People keep forgetting that the Skookum Dog Guardian light is exactly the same as the regular Guardian Light, but with a Coyote Plastic Base instead of a Black color. (Hint: it goes great at the bottom of a Guide's Edition Synapse 25 with Coyote trim). The different color plastic domes (red and white) are interchangeable, too.

(Sorry for the weird view in the picture, but this is excerpted from my post (#32) at the end of the Anyone Else Desperate for the S25 Guide? thread, where I was answering a question about whether it's possible to attach a (Guide's Pack) Lead's Pocket to the bottom of the Guide's Edition Synapse 25. (It's not really well designed for this, but I did hack a way to do this).

These are the different Guardian Lights (original strap base on top). The color balance on the Coyote in this lighting is off: it's the same light as shown attached to the Guide's Edition Synapse 25 above.

You can still order the Skookum Dog Guardian Light right now if you don't mind the Coyote color in the base. (For some Coyote enthusiasts that's an extra feature!).

moriond
    Thank you so much for your post moriond!

I have a couple of questions about the light that doesn't have the yellow strap.

Is is possible to weave a thin scarf between the slots?
    Can I use the stroller/wheelchair strap?

I have an older S19 so no light strap, I want the lights to be on me or secured to a TB Bag or around my head, hence asking for a scarf.

I am going to check Tom Bihn video channel to see if there is a video about the Guardian Lights.

As always, moriond, thank you so much for being the holder of all the TB history, on the forum, about the blog and other platforms.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for your post moriond!

I have a couple of questions about the light that doesn't have the yellow strap.

Is is possible to weave a thin scarf between the slots?
    Can I use the stroller/wheelchair strap?

I have an older S19 so no light strap, I want the lights to be on me or secured to a TB Bag or around my head, hence asking for a scarf.

I am going to check Tom Bihn video channel to see if there is a video about the Guardian Lights.

As always, moriond, thank you so much for being the holder of all the TB history, on the forum, about the blog and other platforms.

Hi @backpack,

I'll try to give you a quick answer now, and follow up with more details later. I have the original Guardian Light (on the strap), but I also have the later versions that are designed to attach to the webbing at the bottom of various bags (like the S25 and the later versions of the S19). And, I completely understand using the older S19 models without the strap, adaptors for the cache with rails, more O-rings, etc. My favorite Synapse 19 models as far as fit are the Indigo/Solar bag that I got when that model was first released, and the Original 400d Nordic/Steel Synapse 19 they made just before release of the first Synapse 25.

If you follow the link to the Skookum Dog Guardian Light product page, you'll find a number of helpful photos.

The Plastic Bases of the Current Guardian lights are designed to hook onto either 1.5" wide webbing (the width of the webbing at the base of current Synapses), or 1" wide webbing, depending on how your orient them.

This is a picture of the back of the current Guardian Lights mounted onto backpacks:

In the orientation shown in the picture, it is hooked onto a 1" wide webbing of a leash. It could also be hooked onto 1.5" webbing at the bottom of a recent model S19 or S25.

You could weave a thin scarf between the back slots, but webbing works better.

The Wheelchair or Stroller Straps should be able to take the Guardian Light hooked on, because they are 1.5" webbing. But I don't know whether this works well with the actual Parental Units because I have the older model of the bag (with the Q-AM strap adjustment). There might be a question of how much extra strap length is available to hook the bag to a stroller or wheelchair. However, it's perfectly possible to hack this so the light is attached onto other webbing straps that connect to a bicycle or wheelchair. (It's not exactly in answer to your question about the Wheelchair or Stroller straps, but a few weeks ago I posted suggestions in the Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps thread, showing how you could use the compression straps from the current generation travel bag to secure your backpack to a wheelie or to attach a bag to handlebars. There are better ways to do this with the lash straps from the Guide's Pack or with the Smart Alec Gatekeeper straps, which have stronger webbing, but there are some pictures there.

It might be useful for you to go back and read the Loop on outside of Synapse thread from 2009 that started some of the discussion considerations for the incorporation of the current version of the Guardian Light on the Synapse.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, my first thought was oh thank goodness it’s called the super-mini and not... Ba-by whale doo doo da doo...ba-by whale doo doo da doo... And by the time the thought was through, I’d auto-earwormed myself... GAH.

Seriously though, I can’t wait to have a reason... I’m loving the whales.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When will that deluxe spiff kit be available? Biggest issue with my regular one is the lack of space. The deluxe is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast