Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M00SEk View Post
    When will that deluxe spiff kit be available? Biggest issue with my regular one is the lack of space. The deluxe is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi @M00SEk, and welcome to the forums. The Deluxe Spiff Kit is already available. Both size of the Spiff Kit (Standard and Deluxe models) are available from the same product page. I just pointed the link to an entry for the Deluxe Spiff Kit in Cloud that is lower down on the Dropdown menu selection options. (This is also true of the Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch -- the drop down menu to select the product is really long, and runs through colors in the new Super-Mini Size, to Mini, to Small (only 1 color option in Grass currently available in that size), to A5 size; I linked to the A5 size in Black Ballistic. Note that when you select keystrap options there's also a really long dropdown menu of different lengths, colors, connector ends, etc.)

Hope this Helps,

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feature request: Will we see a Nik’s Wallet #6, which would be a #5 with a loop attached like a #4?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @backpack,

I'll try to give you a quick answer now, and follow up with more details later. I have the original Guardian Light (on the strap), but I also have the later versions that are designed to attach to the webbing at the bottom of various bags (like the S25 and the later versions of the S19). And, I completely understand using the older S19 models without the strap, adaptors for the cache with rails, more O-rings, etc. My favorite Synapse 19 models as far as fit are the Indigo/Solar bag that I got when that model was first released, and the Original 400d Nordic/Steel Synapse 19 they made just before release of the first Synapse 25.

If you follow the link to the Skookum Dog Guardian Light product page, you'll find a number of helpful photos.

The Plastic Bases of the Current Guardian lights are designed to hook onto either 1.5" wide webbing (the width of the webbing at the base of current Synapses), or 1" wide webbing, depending on how your orient them.

This is a picture of the back of the current Guardian Lights mounted onto backpacks:

In the orientation shown in the picture, it is hooked onto a 1" wide webbing of a leash. It could also be hooked onto 1.5" webbing at the bottom of a recent model S19 or S25.

You could weave a thin scarf between the back slots, but webbing works better.

The Wheelchair or Stroller Straps should be able to take the Guardian Light hooked on, because they are 1.5" webbing. But I don't know whether this works well with the actual Parental Units because I have the older model of the bag (with the Q-AM strap adjustment). There might be a question of how much extra strap length is available to hook the bag to a stroller or wheelchair. However, it's perfectly possible to hack this so the light is attached onto other webbing straps that connect to a bicycle or wheelchair. (It's not exactly in answer to your question about the Wheelchair or Stroller straps, but a few weeks ago I posted suggestions in the Alternative uses for cache clips, retaining straps thread, showing how you could use the compression straps from the current generation travel bag to secure your backpack to a wheelie or to attach a bag to handlebars. There are better ways to do this with the lash straps from the Guide's Pack or with the Smart Alec Gatekeeper straps, which have stronger webbing, but there are some pictures there.

It might be useful for you to go back and read the Loop on outside of Synapse thread from 2009 that started some of the discussion considerations for the incorporation of the current version of the Guardian Light on the Synapse.

HTH

moriond

Thank you for taking the time to post a very comprehensive response.

I use the stroller/wheelchairs straps in all kind of ways, like simple straps to secure all kind of stuff. They are TB straps, so I know they are strong!

I have one clipped to the grab handle of either my S19 or my SBC, I use it to clip together my shopping bags handles to shopping cart handles which are non TB, (many of them are isolated to keep cold food cold).

I asked about the scarf because I would place one one around my head/hat.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    In my current Dawn #3, I can fit at least one more card in the urethane side than the fabric side, for whatever reason... could just be random manufacturing tolerances.
    My wallet lives in my front jeans pocket, so cotton pocket lint is my friend...

I haven't seen the 400d halcyon versions, so that will be good to hear your thoughts on.
    @G42,

Now that I have the Halcyon versions on Nikís Wallet #5 in hand, I think there is no extra stretchiness or ability to fit in more cards because of the Urethane window ó I have a similar fit when I transferred the items from #3 wallet in Halcyon to #5 wallet in Halcyon. Iíll point out that the side of these wallets away from the Urethane window (in #3) is where there is an external pocket on the outside for these models, and thatís likely the reason why you find a difference in the number of cards you can fit into the interior pockets on that side ó not because there is fabric instead of a Urethane window.

I do notice that the fit of a fully packed Nikís Wallet is going to feel tighter if Iím using a Ballistic Nylon version instead of Halcyon.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Super Mini Ghost Whales - theyíre soooo cute! I want one in every color!

My current uses are...

Deep Blue to hold cash, change, and receipts (I have the snaphook tucked inside so it fits better with my new #5 wallet in an interior pocket of my Side Effect):

Grass to carry things for my 4-year-old (ear plugs, blue painterís tape wrapped around a small plastic card, tiny flashlight, random little things Iím keeping safe for her):

Viridian for chapstick, lipstick, Aquaphor, ibuprofen, and a couple bandaids:

Not a planned use for me, but I did discover that a set of keys can be clipped and then tucked inside the (Dawn) pouch:

Previously I was using a Mini GWOP to hold the things now in the Grass and Viridian Super Mini GWOPs. I still need to figure out which I prefer, but for now I canít resist the cuteness!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Could you post updates in this forum when the last batch of Guardian Lights is about to be available?
    The last batch of Guardian Lights are back in-stock and up on the website
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Oh! You restocked both the original version of the Guardian light and the one that mounts on the bottom of backpacks! (The original version was handy for hanging on the inside of the Smart Alec, as @Ilkyway showed).

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Thanks Darcy for the timely reminder!

I signed up for the "notify my when the item is back in stock" alert, as soon as you posted about the last batch. The alert worked like a charm.

It is a really, really cool and useful feature. I encourage people to use it as well as the wish list. It helps plan orders.

A big shout out to Kat who followed up on my order, which, I, again, found a way to mess up, when I ordered online, after hours.

When I phone my order in, it is always perfect, the first time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3