Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Cadet Question

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cadet Question

Hello Everyone,

I'm eyeing a cadet and have a unique question that I have not been able to find an answer for via searching.

Regarding the length of the carry handles: with the bag packed "normally" would a coffee mug / Kleen Kanteen style water bottle be able to fit between the closed zippers and the handle while still allowing enough room to carry the bag?

The use case is going through an airport, drop the water bottle horizontally onto the closed zippers, grab the handles, and walk through the gate onto an airplane.

Hope that makes sense and thank you for any insights!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JasonT, and welcome to the forum! I hope someone with a Cadet and a respective coffee mug will be able to answer your question. If not please do not hesitate to contact the customer service. They are incredibly helpful and will certainly be able to provide you with further information. In the meantime enjoy the forum!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome @JasonT!

I don't have a Cadet either, but I carry my water bottle that way on other handle bags (like my lunch bag), so I totally understand where you're going with it.
    As @bartleby said, if you don't get an answer here, definitely contact CS and then let us all know what they say.
    Cool
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @JasonT!

Welcome to the forum!

It's been some time since I carried a Cadet, but the approach I often take with the Founder's Briefcase is to horizontally lay a drinking vessel inside at the top, and this works really well. I can also place, for example, a 16 oz or 20 oz Hydroflask in between the grab handles.

I think you could take the same (first) approach with the Cadet depending on how full you pack it at the top.

I think given the size of the handles for the Cadet, a bottle with a relatively smaller circumference could be carried in between the grab handles.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JasonT
    What do you normally carry other than a waterbottle? I left my Cadet at home, but I can simulate with my Kleen Kanteen when I get home. Since Cadet is tall, my guess is there will be an enough space in height (to put the bottle on the top), but I am not sure about the depth (depending on how much you carry) because Cadet is relatively thin.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    @JasonT
    What do you normally carry other than a waterbottle? I left my Cadet at home, but I can simulate with my Kleen Kanteen when I get home. Since Cadet is tall, my guess is there will be an enough space in height (to put the bottle on the top), but I am not sure about the depth (depending on how much you carry) because Cadet is relatively thin.
    I’d like to be able to lay that kleen kanteen on top of the closed zippers, in between the handles.

As far as packing the bag my essentials:
    11” iPad Pro
    Legal “padfolio”
    3-4 file folders (standard tabbed, 4-5 pieces of paper per)
    Contigo or Kleen Kanteen coffee mug
    Misc charging cables
    Bose QC35 style headphones
    2 pouches w/ Misc items (lip balm, hand sanitizer, band aids, ibuprofen, etc.)
    Sun glasses

Thanks!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures. I have an iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd gen) with an Apple keyboard, a portfolio, three paper files, small snake charmer (with 10W iPad power adaptor and some charging cables, etc. - it can be filed more), a small ghost whale (with a lip balm, moisture cream bottle, etc.) a Sony headphone case, a sunglass case, and a 20 oz Klean Kanteen on top.

I only used the main compartment, so there are some rooms on the front pockets (such as keys, pens, name cards), and the back pocket (boarding pass, magazine)

It is tight, but not too difficult to close the zipper. It's heavy, though. :-)

Hope this helps

Cadet Question-img_0006-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0004-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0001-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0003-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures. I have an iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd gen) with an Apple keyboard, a portfolio, three paper files, small snake charmer (with 10W iPad power adaptor and some charging cables, etc. - it can be filed more), a small ghost whale (with a lip balm, moisture cream bottle, etc.) a Sony headphone case, a sunglass case, and a 20 oz Klean Kanteen on top.

I only used the main compartment, so there are some rooms on the front pockets (such as keys, pens, name cards), and the back pocket (boarding pass, magazine)

It is tight, but not too difficult to close the zipper. It's heavy, though. :-)

Hope this helps

Cadet Question-img_0006-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0004-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0001-jpg
    Cadet Question-img_0003-jpg
    Very helpful, thank you.

With everything you mentioned in the bag, with the exception of the water bottle, could you zip the bag closed, put the water bottle on top of the zippers, and still use the handles?

Really appreciate the help, it’s so difficult to purchase something so personal w/o being able to see it in person.

Regards!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonT View Post
    Very helpful, thank you.

With everything you mentioned in the bag, with the exception of the water bottle, could you zip the bag closed, put the water bottle on top of the zippers, and still use the handles?

Really appreciate the help, it’s so difficult to purchase something so personal w/o being able to see it in person.

Regards!
    This is not @gadgets, but I’d say no, you can’t put the water bottle on top of the closed zipper and have room to grip the handles, but it is fairly easy to unzip the Cadet to drop a Kleen Kanteen or Zojurushi bottle on top of the laptop in its cache and zip it up again.

I have the original version of the Cadet (earlier design of cache with rails, but same dimensions). The Cadet is taller than most of the TB Briefcase options (unless you want to move significantly up in size, volume, and weight — by a couple of pounds — to the Empire Builder). As such, it can be used for a wider range of laptop sizes, including what were the top of the line laptop graphics performers like the Lenovo W520 — while still fitting into the center compartment of a bag like the TriStar. That’s not possible if you extend the external handles to make it easy to carry a water bottle on top of the closed bag. But it does leave you with sufficient room to unzip the top and drop the bottle on top of the laptop. You can also turn folders of letter size paper to store them vertically since you have the height inside the Cadet.

HTH,

moriond

Forum Member
    Reading, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Zojirushi bottle which fits inside the Cadet, standing vertically alongside my laptop cache. It would also fit lying on top of the contents, but wouldn't go on the outside above the zip and between the handles, as you would not have room to hold the handles.
    Cadet Question-cfc96fe9-e29e-4692-8710-6b00d40f0706-jpeg
    Cadet Question-5fbce3ad-dc07-4022-b70e-446f4d2d3c75-jpeg
    Cadet Question-099b4bc1-9a0d-4ef9-81a6-b684a46c72ef-jpeg
    Last edited by Jtordoff; 06-09-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Incorrect photos and typo
    Cadet(EDC), Large Café Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonT View Post
    could you zip the bag closed, put the water bottle on top of the zippers, and still use the handles?
    Sorry I misunderstood your question. Like moriond and Jtordoff said, no chance of holding a bottle between the handles. You could do a little hack to hang a bottle to the handle using a carabiner or something, if you really need to keep the bottle outside.

One of the TB videos showing various bag hacks includes attaching a PCSB to a Cadet. That no longer works due to the change of the strap hooks locations. A new hack is needed for Cadet.
    Last edited by gadgets; 06-09-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cadet Question

One of the TB videos showing various bag hacks includes attaching a PCSB to a Cadet. That no longer works due to the change of the strap hooks locations. A new hack is needed for Cadet.
    @gadgets,

You can still hack attaching a current model Packing Cube Shoulder Bag if you use the double Carabiner clips to hook the PCSB to the two sides of the front handle (one Carabiner loop through the point for attaching a strap to the PCSB and the other Carabiner loop around the base of the Cadet handle closest to that strap attachment point). It’s not as elegant, because the PCSB is not really stiff enough by itself to hold its shape as well when suspended that way without something else inside the bag, but it will work.