Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    London
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I certainly one bag around Europe, averaging couple of overnights per week. Laptop and accessories, gym kit (fold flat Nike's crucial), spare clothes and shirts. Wester Flyer. Tristar I found the sections too thin.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Hey @Bogiesan, it would be more useful if you explained why you think @matt77 should get the Aeronaut 30 instead of just telling them to do it. What is it about the A30 that you think is particularly useful for their needs?
    Can I step in for Bogiesan?

Speaking as someone who owns an Aeronaut 45 ...

I'm not a "backpack" person, so I'm not familiar with the Synapse 25. But it seems to me that if Matt is used to the packing flexibility of the Synapse (in terms of odd-shaped items), he might not be happy with either the Tristar or the Western Flyer.

Here's what he's looking for:

-- Something to carry all of his clothes and other stuff, including "business" stuff.
    -- A bag that looks professional enough in a business setting as a "briefcase".

Right off the bat, the Tristar is out. Once you take out all your clothes and fill it with just your laptop and other "business" stuff, it's a deflated suitcase and looks nothing like a "briefcase".

He MIGHT be able to pull off the briefcase look with the Western Flyer. BUT -- and this is a big "but" -- as his primary bag, he'll be losing the flexibility of packing odd-shaped stuff, being constrained to the Tristar/Western Flyer school of "flat packing" only.

The Aeronaut 30 solves both problems, giving him the flexibility of NOT "flat packing", and gives him 5 more litres of packing space than his Synapse, and 4 more litres of space than the Western Flyer.

He could then pair it with a "briefcase-y" bag like the Pilot, Co-Pilot or Cadet, or if he wants to "one bag" it, a Daylight briefcase tucked inside the Aeronaut (or any of the other messenger bags either folded up tightly or used as a packing cube).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats awesome, thanks so much for taking the time to pen those thoughts :-)

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Hey @Bogiesan, it would be more useful if you explained why you think @matt77 should get the Aeronaut 30 instead of just telling them to do it. What is it about the A30 that you think is particularly useful for their needs?
    Easily researched in the catalog and extensive online reviews. Fabulous device for onebagging although the 45 may be necessary for the uncommitted and I hadnít seen it mentioned yet. Seems obvious to me but thatís me.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogiesan View Post
    Seems obvious to me but that’s me.
    If it were obvious to the rest of us, @matt77 wouldn't have needed to ask for a recommendation! Any time you make a recommendation, it's always better to explain why you think it's the best idea.

A friend of mine sometimes says "It's a good thing we don't all like the same things, otherwise, just think what the cost of oatmeal would be!" Similarly, what's clear to one person isn't necessarily clear to another.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is no. You need a cross-body for everyday, plus a duffel or tote for travel. You can carry on both bags. Women do this all the time.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though this is an old thread, here's the solution I use, as many have said, is the Western Flyer, and with a few tweaks:

(1.) I use a DLBP as a packing cube for my clothes
    - it fits perfectly in the WF's rear pocket
    - running shoes go in one of the front pockets (I'm size 12.5 which fit straight up with a little work)
    - laptop goes into a cache here as well, or if I'm going backpack mode that day, I put it in the WF shoulder strap pocket

(2.) I have a black halcyon Pilot which I roll up and and keep in one of the front pockets (usually the shoe one)
    - Or you an kind fold it in half to line the bottom of one of the WF's front pockets and pack on top of it
    - When I get to my work location I use Pilot as my briefcase, plenty of room for lunch, etc

(3.) I use a PCSB in one of the WF's front pockets
    - this serves as my flight diddy kit: full size headphones, and snacks, med kit, etc in a small SC
    - As i get to my aircraft seat, I remove it from the WF and toss it on the seat, and then clip it to the seat back in front of me for the flight

Bonus tip: i also carry a full sized BT speaker! I wrap the pilot around it and it goes next to my shoes in the WF's front pocket

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big factor for me when it comes to 1 bag travel when an extra pair of shoes are needed is shoe size. I wear a 12-13 and find that the TriStar just gets too tight. I’m a huge fan of the Brain bag for 1 bag business travel. My laptop, papers, and packing folder with dress pants and dress shirts go in the back section. I can use the front section for everything else. Plenty of room for 3 day trips for business & workout clothes. I also love that when I get to the hotel and unload my clothes, I can easily tighten the bag down with just my laptop and papers and it condenses down to a smaller backpack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2