Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    I had a water bottle leak in my S25 and the pocket contained all of it (a good inch or so). Nothing inside was wet at all and a few napkins later, neither was the water bottle pocket.
    I am surprised! Did the water not even get out into the side, wedge-shaped pockets? Which style of water bottle pocket does your S25 have (mesh sides or Halcyon)?
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halcyon, I bought it a couple a couple of years ago. At the time it was still practically new, so super fresh waterproofing probably helped. All the water was contained within the pocket; my clothes, camera, iPad, iPhone, everything was completely dry (much to my surprise as well to be honest). I supposed could have been luck? But the bag was flat under the seat in front of me and then tipped up straight when I went to retrieve the bottle and discovered the leak, so it was moved around a bit and still nothing leaked out.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30
    "I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seaker, or a gunfighter but I am proud of what I am... I am a Librarian!"
    -The Mummy

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @TheLibrarian, that has to have been luck! In the Synapses where the water bottle pocket has Halcyon sides, typically the bottom of the "wall" between the water bottle pocket and the wedge-shaped side pockets is open--that's why I was so surprised to hear nothing in the side pockets got wet. (If you'd said mesh, then I'd have been surprised because I doubt the mesh would hold the water in place--so I was surprised no matter what. )
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bag was pretty stuffed, so maybe that helped kind of 'seal' the open corners? Anyway, I still think it speaks well to the waterproof-ness since the halcyon kept it in the pocket instead of letting it soak through the fabric and into the rest.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30
    "I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seaker, or a gunfighter but I am proud of what I am... I am a Librarian!"
    -The Mummy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the pack is made from completely waterproof material with sealed seams and has a triple roll top, it will not be waterproof. The downside is that you have no place to put wet things. They carry poorly too and lack features.

A rain cover will help and there are many universal models available. Water may still get in around the back panel seams.

Ultimately, if you have items that must remain dry, they need their own waterproof container and/or use a waterproof stuff sack inside your backpack. For hiking I use a trash compactor bag as a liner. For travel, a lightweight waterproof stuff sack would be better in a day bag. That same bag can be used for washing clothes. You could use a couple plastic grocery bags in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2