Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New EDC bag - luminary or DLBP??

Hi all -

I'm a long time lurker here, and proud owner of numerous Tom Bihn bags! I'm starting a new job, and would be interested in recommendations for a new bag. For the first time in ages, I don't need to bring a laptop back and forth, so am looking to size down. Basically, stuff I'd be carrying would include
    - Side effect (purse with essentials)
    - water bottle
    - kindle and/or iPad mini
    - couple of tupperware like containers with lunch
    - sometimes a folder of 8 1/2 x 11 papers
    - rain jacket or light sweater (not always)

I've been using a bag comparable to a synapse 25 when hauling a laptop, but that's really overkill. I'm thinking about a 15L luminary or the daylight backpack, and would welcome suggestions. Right now everything fits easily into a small shop bag, which I see is 16.5L, but I want something a little more streamlined as my permanent choice. If it matters, I'm about 5' 8".

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Cathy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyr View Post
    Hi all -

I'm a long time lurker here, and proud owner of numerous Tom Bihn bags! I'm starting a new job, and would be interested in recommendations for a new bag. For the first time in ages, I don't need to bring a laptop back and forth, so am looking to size down. Basically, stuff I'd be carrying would include
    - Side effect (purse with essentials)
    - water bottle
    - kindle and/or iPad mini
    - couple of tupperware like containers with lunch
    - sometimes a folder of 8 1/2 x 11 papers
    - rain jacket or light sweater (not always)

I've been using a bag comparable to a synapse 25 when hauling a laptop, but that's really overkill. I'm thinking about a 15L luminary or the daylight backpack, and would welcome suggestions. Right now everything fits easily into a small shop bag, which I see is 16.5L, but I want something a little more streamlined as my permanent choice. If it matters, I'm about 5' 8".

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Cathy
    I have a L12 and two DLBP so I’ll give my opinion on the DLBP. From what you’re carrying the DLBP would be a good fit. You can use your jacket in one of the pockets to make your own padded back and the straps are actually quite comfortable. There’s plenty of room what you plan to carry. The Halcyon version is lighter than the Ballistic in case weight is a factor. Cost-wise the Daylight is also cheaper by about $60-70, which frees up money for more accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @cathyr, welcome to the Forums!

I have both, and I think the Daylight Backpack might work better for you. Depending on the shape of your tupperware you might have trouble fitting the tupperware, water bottle, and Side Effect in the Luminary all at the same time; I don't think that would be an issue in the DLBP. (I'd offer to do a test pack for you, but I'm visiting family and don't have either of those bags with me this trip.)

I also think the pocket organization on the DLBP might suit you better. You could put your iPad or Kindle in the front zip pocket or the top interior pocket for easier access, whereas with the Luminary your iPad or Kindle would be in the main section with everything else. The only downside I see to that choice is that you wouldn't have the Luminary's inner divider to hold your water bottle upright, but people have come up with other solutions for holding their water bottles upright in a Daylight Backpack. (Some of the solutions: use a Freudian Slip and put the water bottle in a pocket, hang a Travel Stuff Sack from one of the DLBP's O-rings, run a Key Strap around the water bottle and attach to an O-ring.)

Plus, @tuskegee7294 has a good point that the DLBP's lower price will let you add more accessories! Smilie

Oh, but of course if your budget allows you can also order both and send back the one that doesn't work as well for you. (You have to know yourself to know whether this will work, though--will you be able to send back the other bag?)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums!

I'll offer the contrary opinion and reco the Luminary 15. It's a sleek bag with just enough organization. Your kindle/ipad can fit in the back padded compartment, everything else inside the main or the side pockets. Only concern is, as @aedifica mentions, the size of your lunch containers, which only you can verify.

The DLBP should work well for you if those carry items are what you will use it for.
    If you randomly use the bag for other things that can't help with providing internal bag structure, you may find it uncomfortable (as I did).

Best of luck and let us know which one you eventually pick!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how I was forgetting the back pocket on the Luminary! Of course your iPad or Kindle could fit in there. I'm glad @G42 pointed that out!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi cathyr, another welcome to the forums! When the Luminary15 came out I did a comparison with the DLBP and took a couple of photos that might be useful for you. Both bags are great and if you're living in the the US @aedifica's suggestion to try them both is perhaps the best way to come to a decision.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that back zipper pouch on the L15 is awesome for tablets, and that mesh compartment inside for centering your water bottle or coffee mug is super cool...

Does the DLBP have a way to center the weight of your liquids too?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    Does the DLBP have a way to center the weight of your liquids too?
    Yeah the water bottle pouch of the Luminaries is great! The DLBP doesn‘t have a comparable feature. To center the weight of a water bottle you have to pack accordingly with some smaller things e.g. a Side Effect or a PCSB to the left and right of the bottle.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - thanks for all the responses! Bartleby, ready your review/comparison, which was great, as well as others I could find. I'm leaning toward the luminary, but might end up ordering both it and the DLBP for comparison. Just have to discipline myself to send one back. The colors I would want for the luminary are still in production, so need to wait a bit anyway. I'll report back when I've gotten them and have test packed!

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the L15 and the DLBP and I love both of them. You will find a configuration for either pack that will work for you but I think the breakpoint will be how far you will carry it each day. I work from home so my experience varies from yours but if I was going to be walking or taking public transit a lot the L15 would be the EDC. That’s based on the padded straps and back and for me, the one-shoulder carry-mode works better with the L15. And the water bottle holder probably seals the deal.

Good luck!
    EDC: Black Halcyon DLBP | Nebulous Gray Luminary 15 ~ Work Carry: Black Ristretto ~ Fun Carry: Black Medium Yeoman Duffel

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
    Yeah the water bottle pouch of the Luminaries is great! The DLBP doesn‘t have a comparable feature. To center the weight of a water bottle you have to pack accordingly with some smaller things e.g. a Side Effect or a PCSB to the left and right of the bottle.
    The other thing I have done in the DLBP is to attach a "hangable" water bottle to the top o-ring with a carabiner. The "carry" of the bag is nice then (with the higher center of gravity), but it's not as nice when set down.
    Last edited by x3n0n; 06-20-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums!

I'll offer the contrary opinion and reco the Luminary 15. It's a sleek bag with just enough organization. Your kindle/ipad can fit in the back padded compartment, everything else inside the main or the side pockets. Only concern is, as @aedifica mentions, the size of your lunch containers, which only you can verify.

The DLBP should work well for you if those carry items are what you will use it for.
    If you randomly use the bag for other things that can't help with providing internal bag structure, you may find it uncomfortable (as I did).

Best of luck and let us know which one you eventually pick!
    I stumbled across this thread with nearly the same questions. We have all one size of tupperware in my house and it's 6.5" squares that are a few inches deep (https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Solu.../dp/B00C6M4NP8 the 4 cup). Can anyone tell me if something like this would fit into the luminary 15 (or even 12? I'm petite but I doubt it would fit in this) with a water bottle? I'm biking or taking the train to work every day and am tired of using uncomfortable backpacks, so I'm wary that I'd find the DLBP uncomfortable too.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickybecky1 View Post
    I stumbled across this thread with nearly the same questions. We have all one size of tupperware in my house and it's 6.5" squares that are a few inches deep (https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Solu.../dp/B00C6M4NP8 the 4 cup). Can anyone tell me if something like this would fit into the luminary 15 (or even 12? I'm petite but I doubt it would fit in this) with a water bottle? I'm biking or taking the train to work every day and am tired of using uncomfortable backpacks, so I'm wary that I'd find the DLBP uncomfortable too.
    What size water bottle do you expect to carry? I'm asking because that will affect how much room is left for your tupperware.

Also, can you tell us what makes your current backpack uncomfortable? (Shoulder straps don't spread the weight comfortably, stuff pokes you in the back, some other problem...) I ask because I'm wondering whether to assure you that the DLBP is likely to be more comfortable than you think, or if you're probably right that it wouldn't work for you. It is a lot more comfortable than I ever thought it would be, but it isn't the right bag for all people and all situations.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 32 oz contigo water bottle - it's about 3.5" wide and 10.5" tall.

I've carried the patagonia lightweight travel tote as a backpack for a while. It was fine, not amazing, and has now been pressed into duty as a diaper bag, and I doubt I'll be clamoring to get it back when we don't need the diaper bag anymore. I got the tote because I wanted a bag that could do both shoulder back and backpack and I wanted to pack it into the aeronaut for travel. Since then, I had a jujube be Supplied pump bag that I used for long after I weaned and realized I do not want to use shoulder bags anymore. Right now I'm borrowing my husband's Alchemy Goods backpack which has recycled seatbelts as shoulder straps. I think they're really really uncomfortable and I think it's more than just the seatbelt, I think a big part of it is the spacing or fit. Things don't poke me in the back, but it has a structured back. My hesitation about the DLBP is that I often am not carrying a jacket - I'm wearing it. Every day, I carry a water bottle, lunch, and a kindle. Sometimes I pack small shoes but usually I just wear my shoes. Sometimes I pack rain pants, but I'm not sure I want to have to depend on them for comfort.

I've also realized that I don't end up packing my bag into the A30 because I want to have my personal item with me and I was needing to squish things up to make that happen. So while I'm most interested in a bag that does great for EDC, I'm also thinking about how to carry it while I have the A30 on my back. I was intrigued by Topo Designs daypack/travel pack combinations and ordered their Y-pack but it was SO uncomfortable and the straps dug into my arms.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickybecky1 View Post
    That container is 6.8" square and I'm assuming that you'd want to stack them flat into the bottom of the bag to reduce the chance of spilling...

I ended up with a cheap plastic 'to go' container from a recent pot luck that is basically that size. It mostly fits in the center of the bottom of the L15. The L15 is oval shaped and about 5" seam to seam front to back, on the bottom, so technically the container is too big. But the extra space can be stolen from the front of the bag...

This is hard to photograph, but here's the L15 with a glass 1L carafe (stand in for your bottle) next to the container on the bottom. The water bottle mesh divider obviously needs to be unzipped for this.

In theory, you stuff would all fit, but you'd be better off test packing and carry it around the house to ensure that it works for your exact stuff and is comfortable. FWIW, I think the Luminary straps are super comfy.

HTH

New EDC bag - luminary or DLBP??-img_20190625_130033-1-jpg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast