Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3DOC Used as Approved Clear Bag for Concerts, etc?

Has anyone used a 3DOC for concerts or events where you need a clear bag? I thought it might be a good option with a strap added.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter's carried one with a SE strap to a variety of college sport events.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to ask what may seem like an obvious question:. Do most events now require a clear bag? I've never come across this but I hardly go to big events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    Has anyone used a 3DOC for concerts or events where you need a clear bag? I thought it might be a good option with a strap added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Sorry to ask what may seem like an obvious question:. Do most events now require a clear bag? I've never come across this but I hardly go to big events.

Hi All,

Some of these issues have been discussed in older threads like Tom Bihn & the NFL, which also includes some of the official rules governing the size and restrictions of bags that may carried at events (assuming that specific exceptions for medically necessary items are not involved -- which also require inspection at a specially designated gate).

Read through the thread -- I think that technically the 3DOC is 0.5 inch outside of the NFL requirements, but that people have used it. I don't know how stringent the rules are for other events.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I'll also append this more recent wish list post, that seems aimed at the topic of the present thread, except for the fact that "DLBC" size sounds outside the limits:

Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Clear Stadium Bag that could be a shoulder carry bag, clear packing cube, bottle bag for luggage, at home organizer; DLBC size and style with little more clamshell opening, no pockets, but O-rings.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-21-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond! I did a search, but couldn't find anything. I appreciate you providing the link.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw, I went to a concert last month at US bank stadium (home to the Minnesota Vikings) and they were strictly enforcing the same bag rules as NFL games have. sooooooo many people assumed they wouldn’t be, or maybe just didn’t think about it, and were forced to part with their bags at the gate. I used a fabric 3DOC with a wrist strap as sort of a clutch, thus it didn’t have to be clear. Nobody gave it a second look even though it was technically the tiiiiniest bit too big.

that may be the strictest venue I’ve been to with regard to bags, granted I normally don’t go to stadium shows or huge sporting events. nobody has ever batted an eye at my SK, and I only got grief one time over my imago, at metro in Chicago (forced to coat check, then saw loads of people who’d gotten in with big ol backpacks, but what can you do...)
    Last edited by capncat; 06-21-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thank you all for sharing. I had no idea. Now I need to buy another bag!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    Wow. Thank you all for sharing. I had no idea. Now I need to buy another bag!
    Whatever excuse you need, right? I was planning to order the SK when it was available in Original Halcyon. The accessories I “added” to my order almost doubled the total, but in the long run saved me money by combining shipping!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think that technically the 3DOC is 0.5 inch outside of the NFL requirements, but that people have used it. I don't know how stringent the rules are for other events.
    @moriond, the current NFL bag rules allow clear bags up to 12" x 6" x 12" or one-gallon Ziploc bags; bags the size of a clutch purse don't have to be clear. The 3DCOC's 7.1" x 4.3" x 2" fits easily within the clear bag requirement. You might be thinking of itsablur's post in that thread where they said that the size of clutch purse the NFL allows is half an inch smaller than a 3DOC. (I can't find anything in writing on the NFL page that defines the size of a clutch except "approximately the size of a hand" but there are diagrams that imply 4.5" x 6.5" is OK.)

So a 3D Clear Organizer Cube is definitely OK as a clear bag by NFL standards (as long as the bag checker doesn't get fussy about the fabric strip around the edge) and a 3D All Fabric or Mesh Organizer Cube is technically too large to count as a clutch but would probably pass anyway.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.