Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflective Night Safety

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for passive night safety.

I have a small collection of TB gear: A45, S25, BB, DLBP, and MB. I mainly use the S25 for daily commuting. I have a Guardian Light for the bottom loop of the S25. I like redundancy, so having a passive night safety accessory when the Guardian Light dies mid commute would be great.

I have tried reflective paracord, but after some time the reflective cord just ends up looking like dingy candy canes. I would prefer not to sew anything to any of my bags, but would also like something that is always attached.

Thoughts?
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are stick on reflective tapes for fabrics. I think I'd have a difficult time putting something with adhesive directly on my TB bag fabric areas, but maybe along some of the webbing areas would be okay. Could you carry a secondary small flash light with some kind of carabiner attachment inside the bag for a 'just in case' scenario?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said you'd prefer not to sew anything onto your bag, but sewing on a strip of something like this reflective fabric tape is the best I've thought of so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what other suggestions people come up with!

This page about passive bike lighting was interesting.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely look at bike shops, you could also have loops of reflective strap/wristband material on the top handle and bottom light loop.
    I bought a reflective wristband with carabiner on one end for exactly this use case - think I found it among the dog walking supplies!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagle Creek makes reflective luggage tags. There are lots of bicycle pant cuff bands that are reflective. Running stores will have a bunch of reflective accessories too. When cycling I use a fabric triangle reflector that has a mitten hook attachment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad idea but, as a cyclist who commutes for fifty years, I say reflective, unless it’s absolutely HUGE, is grossly overrated as protection. However, the best reflective material is not cheap so, if this is really important to you, don’t try to scrimp on the materials.

If you are looking at adhesive products, search for “conspicuity tape” and “retro reflective”.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...-visible-after

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...94857497&rt=r3

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve never been a cyclist commuter but I do drive to work at 3:30 am every day. Reflective anything and brighter colors make an incredible amount of difference. I really do see the thin reflective strips on backpacks and shoes. Many times Iíve slowed down trying to figure out what that odd little moving light near the ground was only to discover an entire person I couldnít see until I was very, very close to them. What is that weird floating orb thing right there? Omigod, a guy with a backpack walking too close to the road!

Last week I honestly thought someone had put out a robot statue by their mailbox. Only when I was directly in front of it could I see it was in fact a tall, gangly man dressed in a white shirt and light khaki shorts with a flashlight around his neck walking his dog. So I donít know if reflective materials help on city streets at noon but I KNOW that small lights and reflective parts make otherwise unsee people noticeable in neighborhoods at ungodly hours of the morning.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaOps View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for passive night safety.

I have a small collection of TB gear: A45, S25, BB, DLBP, and MB. I mainly use the S25 for daily commuting. I have a Guardian Light for the bottom loop of the S25. I like redundancy, so having a passive night safety accessory when the Guardian Light dies mid commute would be great.

I have tried reflective paracord, but after some time the reflective cord just ends up looking like dingy candy canes. I would prefer not to sew anything to any of my bags, but would also like something that is always attached.

Thoughts?
    This site might help you, the backpack covers in particular. The whole site is devoted to reflective/high-visibility stuff.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/s...ack-cover.html