Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of adding another bag to the collection but which one?

I have just returned from my second trip with the Synapse 25 and still thinking its not 100% perfect for me.
    I love the bag/looks/material, and realize 3-4 week trips with a 25 liter bag isnít bad, and Ive certainly improved over the years. However, Iím not minimal enough, and would like a little extra room, so everything isnít so tightly packed on my return - Perhaps 30 ish liter bag?.
    Also, I have got it into my head, that if a backpack opened Ďclamshellí, it would be easier to access stuff, instead of pulling everything out of the bottom of the rucksack.
    I did have an interesting thought that I could pack the S25 so its flat and put packing cubes in that way, but still hankering on another bag, just a bit larger.
    I bought 2 bags on sale : - To test pack & return if not suitable:-
    Eagle Wayfinder 30 liter - not clamshell, but could pack it so its flat, it fits everything in that I unpacked from the S25, but not much extra room spare. Itís grey/black, slim looking & comfy.
    Eagle Creek Nebula 34 litre, like the organization and believe EC is well respected/quality, but think its a bit hiking looking bag (that it is). Both bags are relatively cheap, both on sale - $50 (UKP).
    Also, considering ordering a EC Porter 30, which is a clamshell design.
    However, I love TB bags, and wondering if anyone else has had this dilemma re wanting a slightly larger bag at approx 30 liters in a clamshell design, did they buy another bag/different style.
    Really wanting backpack straps, so not sure about an Aeronaut- I have a Western Flyer, but only used it once.
    Has anyone else had this dilemma?
    TIA
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the nearest thing in the TB range to your requirement set would be an Aeronaut 30.

>25 litre capacity: check (30 litres, split between a main compartment and two much smaller end pockets)
    backpack straps: check (I use mine pretty much all the time in backpack mode - for heavy loads I would recommend a frame sheet to support the bag structure more effectively)
    packable "flat": check (it's rectilinear unless seriously overstuffed)
    "clamshell" design: check (actually more of a front-loading duffel design, but close enough)

I wouldn't call a Western Flyer a clamshell... it kind of is, in that it opens out that way, but it's much closer genetically to the Tri-Star: almost demands packing cubes and a very organised approach to packing. I have a Tri-Star, but prefer the more free-form A30 structure.

I did buy a Guide's Edition Synapse 25, hoping to downsize my packing for overnight stays; the experiment didn't work because even with packing cubes, everything ended up stacked on top of everything else and I didn't like having to "dig" to the bottom of the pack. Plus, like you, my use case involves slightly more stuff than fits comfortably in 25 litres. I ended up sticking with the A30 for most of my travel needs. The A30, and its bigger brother the A45, are supremely good at the "living out of the suitcase" trick, where one doesn't need to fully unpack them - just lay them flat in e.g. a hotel room and open the 3 compartments, and everything is easily accessible.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-03-2019 at 05:43 PM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Yes, as much as I love the Synapse25, when I'm traveling I could really use a Synapse30. The Aeronaut30 is a fabulous bag, but the Synapse is more comfortable. elisa

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Aeronaut 30 would be the one to consider. Its backpack straps are comfortable enough for travel, as in carrying it from car to plane to bus to hotel etc. The contents are easy to access because it's more of a duffel style, so you won't have to dig in the bottom. I recently switched from the S25 to the A30 as my carry on, and I can't believe I didn't do so long ago. One of my favorite things is that the backpack straps stow away, actually. I stow them before going through security and before putting it in an overhead bin, so there is nothing to dangle/get caught on stuff. That was one of my main issues with the S25, but any backpack, really. Buckles can catch in rollers, straps grab surfaces that are sticking out - it's lovely not to worry about that anymore.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your suggestions re the Aeronaut 30 - Its a bag I haven’t really considered up until now.. but will have a look at size.weight etc.
    Is the size suitable for carry on (obviously weight dependent) and fitting under the seat of the larger airplanes - I don’t like having my bag out of sight, especially if its TB.
    I do have cheap little bag that is a similar sort of style to the A30, but was like $20 (UKP), a few years ago and always thought the A30 would be better (in every way). So, I tend to use that as a quick little bag, but it has its limitations but for the price its good.
    Does anyone have any of the other bags I mentioned. I have seen a Porter 46 in a few posts, but no mention of a Porter 30.
    I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels the S25 is a little too small and 30 liters would a little wiggle room.
    Perhaps the style of packing the WF, is the reason I haven’t used it, as even though it isn’t a backpack, packing cubes tend to move around and it quite floppy in dynema.
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the A30 fits under the seat of larger planes. I haven't had any gate agents or FAs blink at it, including on super-low-cost European airlines.

FWIW the S25 is described as a bag for ultralight travel, while the A30 is described as a carry on. So that's literally what it's made for!

Don't know about the other non-TB bags you mention. Personally, I have all but quit buying other brands, since I'm inevitably disappointed with the quality and organization

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my dreams, Im an ultralight Traveller- but in reality Im a Ultralight Plus Traveller!!. Im also striving to improve my packing/weight on every trip.
    Im trying to downsize and I have had various TB bags/accessories over the years. Im thinking I will probably see if I can swop the S25/WF and get a A30 instead and see if that works for the majority of my airplane travelling.
    I see posts re NFTD, and think it is now discontinued, how did it differ to the A30 and is there any reasons why it was discontinued?

Jaffa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROAD BUDDY 36!!!! I like it so much better than the A30. It has better 2D packing space, and you can actually fit stuff in the end pockets because they are larger and gusseted.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    I see posts re NFTD, and think it is now discontinued, how did it differ to the A30 and is there any reasons why it was discontinued?
    Jaffa
    The Night Flight Travel Duffle was a much smaller bag than an A30, intended to be more of a personal item sized bag in horizontal duffle format. As I recall it had a capacity of well under 20 litres; I have one in aubergine/wasabi, and used to use it as a kitbag when going to yoga class - see https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post109001 for pictures.. As to why it was discontinued - I can surmise that sales didn't justify continuing with that design, but for the actual reason you would need to ask one of the TB crew.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link - I see what you mean, it is a lot smaller, but dinky.....
    Looking like it might be a A30 for me - however, seeing as I have a 2 as new TB bags, a S25 & WF, I have posted a wanted swop.
    As living in the UK, it makes sense to see if I can swop either of my bags for the A30.
    I will start looking at my TB accessories as well, to see what I don’t use..
    Strange Im thinking I will need a smaller rucksack/bag for a yoga bag, so the cheap $20 (UKP) might do for now.

Jaffa

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of adding another bag to the collection but which one?

I have travelled with an A30 and WF quite extensively. I quite liked it actually. A30 was my carryon and the WF was my ďlaptop personal itemĒ. Never had any problems flying Ryan Air or Emirates. I moved to this combo after using an A45 and pilot combo. While I love the pilot, sometimes you just want a backpack.

I liked the WF because some places you donít want to carry a backpack (crowded markets in a thirds world country or Europe are primed for theft from your bag on your back). The shoulder carry works better for this. And most other times I like carrying it as a backpack.

So the A30 was my main bag with all my stuff and the WF was empty most of the time but used as my day bag at destination.

Iíd consider getting rid of the S25 for now to get the A30 and see how you like that combo. Plus you have tons of space in the WF to add your ďultra light plusĒ items Thinking of adding another bag to the collection but which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will see if a ‘swop’ comes up, as I don’t like having ‘stuff’ I don’t use and that seems to apply to TB bags.
    I would rather have bags that work for me, and use them on a constant basis, than hanging onto them as they are TB.
    Plus hopefully I will end up with fewer bags (not sure if that will work out!).
    I also, don’t ‘beat myself up’ that I wont be travelling the world as a ultra lightweight Traveller. Just accept what works for me and enjoy the bags that travel with me.

Jaffa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aeronaut makes sense if you want a large opening. The Makerís Bag makes a great pairing, wearing the Aeronaut in backpack mode and the Makerís Bag cross body and around your hip. One as ďcabin bagĒ in the overhead and the other as ďpersonal bagĒ under the seat. You can fill the Makerís Bag to 12 liters for boarding and lighten it up for a day bag once you have a room.

But to keep the Synapse going, a couple large packing cubes will slide in and out of a top opening backpack like drawers and a tube style packing cube can fill any space along the side. Iíve layered two
    large cubes plus a small folder with room for smaller liter sized cubes for liquids and shaving kit and more. Itís the same game as a clamshell, with everything organized and bundled so things arenít diving to the bottom. When on the move itís the outer pockets that have anything I might need.

Iíve used a self stowing backpack like an Osprey Stuff Pack as a packing cube too, ready as a day bag to supplement the cross body bag. I usually carry an ultralight grocery bag like a ChicoBag and that too can be used to organize a top loader backpack, as well as a laundry bag, or itís intended use for groceries.

If anything goes in the bottom, shoes are likely, or a rolled rain jacket in fair weather, etc. Again, a cross body bag like the MB, a Cafe bag, Risetto or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag will pair well.

Iím pretty much done with a backpack for an urban day bag and that came with difficulty, being a lifelong hiker. Cross body bags are more secure, better as under the radar camera bags and easier to manage on buses, subway cars, in and out of taxis and stowed in a restaurant (with my leg through the strap). I found myself wearing my daypack over one should most of the time and asked, why bother?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    I have travelled with an A30 and WF quite extensively. I quite liked it actually. A30 was my carryon and the WF was my “laptop personal item”. Never had any problems flying Ryan Air or Emirates. Thinking of adding another bag to the collection but which one?

So Emirates let you on with a personal item? Certainly not in economy, right? I've heard they're pretty strict about the 1 bag/7kg policy...

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runningtravels View Post
    So Emirates let you on with a personal item? Certainly not in economy, right? I've heard they're pretty strict about the 1 bag/7kg policy...
    Well when I was travelling frequently for work (a few years ago now) they would let me carry both. They only once weighed my bag and that was on a flight to Ghana which was no doubt one of their ďtroublesomeĒ flights with overweight carry on.

Not sure what their policies are now as theyíre always reducing allowances etc and at that time I was a platinum flyer but would fly economy maybe 40% of the time and never had any problems.