Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Item Choices

as a tristar user ever since it was released it goes on every trip.
    I have always struggled a bit and have yet to find the perfect personal item bag that works well when carrying the tristar (either as a shoulder or backpack) as I go back and forth between both

suggestions?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it is the Pilot.

I always have a computer and some other tech and do not want to separate from it in the plane if at all possible and no matter how much I cram into the pilot I can carry it along with the Tri-Star in the end.

Add to this that the Pilot has an amazing level of organization too and really limits my amount of small stuff while letting me still carry some of it and the Pilot is the ideal bag for me here.

I also carry my TS often as a Back Pack and so I prefer not to carry a second one usually or I would carry the S25 probably instead.
    Last edited by AVService; 07-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried the new zip top shop bags? You can fit a lot inside, they fit under even the small plane seats, and the handles are long enough to hold with your shoulder... they work as great shop bags at the your destination too Wink
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always like having a backpack as a personal item because I can fit more in there and prefer the two-strap ergonomics for walking around at the destination. So in the case of TB, that'd be a Synapse 19 or 25. (I only own the 25 and prefer bags in that size range.)

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a daylight backpack? It can be rolled and put away if you decide you donít need it, itíll keep your hands free for your Tristan when you do need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly use my Pop Tote as a personal item because I can carry italong with whatever main bag I'm using on a trip (roller, Road Buddy, A30.) I use my Pilot on business trips as a personal item since I need to carry my laptop.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have considered the pilot actually. Also was looking at the yeoman duffle but wondering about how functional it would be and if it would be awkward to carry it along with the tristar but it looks like a nice little bag (thinking of the smaller one of course). Also have considered a smaller backpack too. II use to use my tenba camera bag for all my camera gear and I have significantly reduced what I carry with. I could still use that bag as my personal item but just repurpose it but I have to say I always want to find the perfect bag.
    I also have a smaller shoulder bag I pull out and it holds my camera and a lens and not much else but it is perfect for walking around.
    Thoughts on the yeoman duffle?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Makerís Bag now. If you need less room, the Cafe bags fill the same niche and there is the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag too.

All allow wearing while carrying the Tristar as a backpack and can be stashed under the seat and can be used as a day bag at your destination. Iíve used a small backpack, but that ties up a hand when wearing another backpack.

A convertible tote/backpack/shoulder bag about 12-15 liters would make a good personal bag. Imagine the Tristar Packing Cube Backpack with a shoulder strap mounting option and tuck away backpack straps. I choose the Tristar option as it has a pocket for documents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One nice thing about the flatter bags* as a companion to the Tri-Star is that they can slide into the middle section of the Tri-Star if that section happens to be empty.

* Pilot, Cadet, Cafe Bag, Ristretto, Packing Cube Backpack, Daylight Backpack, and there are others that would also work
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Co-Pilot as a personal item on several trips and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer to travel without a laptop when possible and the CP does a great job holding my iPad, a pair of headphones, and everything else I need. On my most recent trip I carried a Daylight Briefcase inside the main compartment of my A45 and then removed it once I got on the plane. This worked really well for me too.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Have you tried the new zip top shop bags? You can fit a lot inside, they fit under even the small plane seats, and the handles are long enough to hold with your shoulder... they work as great shop bags at the your destination too Wink
    Second on the ZTSB. I use the Side Effect for everything I'll actually need in flight, but if I absolutely have to carry a water bottle or sweater or scarf or something bulky, it goes under the seat in my ZTSB (which I always pack anyway).