Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patches on an Aeronaut 45

Was thinking of either ironing on or sewing on some patches from the places Iíve visited onto my ballistic Aeronaut 45. Is this a thing and if so, anyone have any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sewn patches on a Pop Tote because it was easy to get to the back side of the fabric because the Pop Tote is not lined. I used a very fine sharp needle. I basted the patches on first so they wouldn't move because I didn't want to use pins (which would distort the fabric) or glue (in case I ever wanted to remove the patches).

Since the A45 is lined and has pockets, it makes it very difficult to move any needle to the backside of the fabric. I couldn't do a running stitch in the ballistic fabric. I had to stab from the front straight to the back and from the back straight through to the front. Even in the Pop Tote, I found this challenging.

I'd be concerned about ruining the ballistic fabric if I did a glue on patch since those usually require heat to set them, but perhaps someone else could comment about gluing on patches.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not done so, but I wanted to suggest bringing it to a tailor. They would probably have the proper tools and know-how for sewing onto thick ballistic fabric. They probably wouldnít charge too much either since itís a pretty straight forward job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sewn patches onto my S25 using a curved tapestry needle to avoid the lining. That ballistic is TOUGH to get through and the A45 fabric is even thicker.

Could you do it? Maybe? I could see the needle strength being an issue (able not just to pierce the fabric but hold it's shape as you force it through). Would it be worth the time, frustration, and pain? Nope. I wouldn't use glue either, I don't think it would stick particularly well, eventually it'd fall off and leave an ugly glue residue. Plus I'd be afraid if it needed heat, that would damage the fabric.

I understand your desire, I just don't think it'll work very well on the A45. Plus, there's the warranty to consider. This would certainly void it (at least as far as the fabric is concerned).
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30
    "I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seaker, or a gunfighter but I am proud of what I am... I am a Librarian!"
    -The Mummy

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at my A30, the only places that look easy to sew onto are the front hatch panel and the very tops of the side zipper pockets: single thickness and easy to reach inside for needle control near the top. Warranty? Your choice. Might compromise the water resistance a bit, too.

Iron-ons will not last long on this type of luggageófabric is fuzzy, too much flexing and external abrasion.