Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC Backpack Thoughts - 15" Laptop + 2nd Smaller Laptop or Tablet

Hey all! Hope y'all are doing well!

I was curious if y'all had any thoughts or advice on EDC backpacks you like to use that hold more than one laptop, or a laptop and a tablet device. I'm going to need to start carrying a 15" laptop (2018 MacBook Pro) and a secondary smaller laptop (2018 MacBook Air 13"), and sometimes a tablet in addition to or in place of the smaller laptop on a daily basis. It would be nice if I could also fit a small lunch sack or few other small gear/edc pouches and what not as well.

I already have a bunch of Tom Bihn backpacks, and bags, and caches, so I could probably hodgepodge something together I already own but I'm also always open to getting something new! Just curious to hear what others in similar situations might be rocking these days. I dig the design of the new Luminary, but based on the description it looks to be way too small unfortunately. I"m guessing it's going to come down to a S25 or BB?

Thanks for your help!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S25 seems an obvious choice if you already have one.

I don't really know how you might improve on Perfect?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    S25 seems an obvious choice if you already have one.

I don't really know how you might improve on Perfect?
    Hah! Well said! I think if I had one negative of the S25 in this sort of setup, is that if I wanted to use multiple caches, I'd have to suspend one on the front interior panel and the other on the interior back panel(at least without resorting to a bag hack). I've always found heavy devices suspended from the front part of the bag made it feel like it's weighted a bit oddly. But it is doable! I suppose I could also just let the secondary devices lay in the bag (within a sleeve or cache of course). What I really need is a dual-device cache!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the S25 would work well for this use case. You should be able to clip two caches into the main compartment and still have room for chargers and accessories in the other pockets. The BB would also seem to work on paper, but it always seemed too big for my EDC use cases. Unless you regularly carry lots of clothing or other large gear I would go for the S25.

Forum Member
    Santa Cruz, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a Synapse 25 with a 15in Thinkpad and an iPad Pro, each in thin non-TB sleeves. They stay at the back of the pack against the internal frame, and there is plenty of room in the main compartment for file folders, chargers, and even a Sidekick tethered to one of the O-rings.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S25 owners have stated, that from their experience, the S25 does a great job with multiple laptops and/or tablets and phones, it is a great excuse to get a Brain Bag.

The Brain Bag is one of the most versatile TB Bag, not only it holds multiple computers and tablets comfortably, I always prefer TB Caches because I don't trust others with expensive electronic.

Furthermore, one of the earliest produced TB Cache I used for one of the earliest mini laptop, (which became obsolete because, not only its OS but, its physical integrity started to fail), fits my iPad Mini perfectly and can also be used to fit many kind of electronics from tablets to fablets to games devices, even lences.
    It is also great to protect small artworks as well as wedding/birth/graduation/anniversary photo albums, scrapbooks and journals.

Now back to the Brain Bag, in addition to be able to carry loads of electronic, it can be a great domestic U.S travel bag, for one bag travel or as a personal item, if another bag is checked. It fits under the seat and can be organized with Packing Cubes, Travel Stuff Sacks and other TB organizing tools.

The new Ballistic colors are really good looking, I have the older Cordura version.

It is such a great backpack, it is all I can do to stop myself from getting one in Ballistic, the S25 doesn't fit me.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-14-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brain Bag would keep the second laptop closer to your back then the S25, but that bag is a monster.

If I were running your load in my GES25, the 15" would definitely be cached against the internal frame, to be closer to my back. Leaving the lighter cache on the opposite side of the main compartment...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the great responses! Going to try the S25 route for the week and see how that goes!