Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Inbetween Bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inbetween Bag

I'm packing for a week long cruise in my badbag #3. I'm thinking I really need a onebag that is about 40 liters in size (current bag is not labeled correctly online for liters since it is round, I calculate it at about 37). I could use wide shoulder straps and sternum strap. The current backpack straps are narrower and leave red marks after less than 15 minutes of walking. I guess the thick waist strap would be good for people hiking for hours but not necessarily needed for me.

I heard the road buddy does not have backpack straps, and the Aeronaut 30 would be too small and the Aeronaut 45 liter being bigger than I need. I read the Osprey Farpoint 40 can crack a laptop in the pocket furthest from your back in the spot for it. What other viable options are there?

Items to be packed: (these aren't quite all fitting in the current bag)
    Coleman FreeFlow 40oz bottle
    pair of water sandals
    aeronaut 30 packing cube packpack filled with clothes
    BadBag Micro as toiletries bag
    some other miscellaneous thin items free floating in the bag
    laptop

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @thorn,

Have you considered the Brain Bag? It's 36 liters (same capacity as the Road Buddy), has reasonably wide backpack straps and a sternum strap, and I believe it could easily swallow the items you listed.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Hi @thorn,

Have you considered the Brain Bag? It's 36 liters (same capacity as the Road Buddy), has reasonably wide backpack straps and a sternum strap, and I believe it could easily swallow the items you listed.
    I will research that bag. Any chance it'll have a wider range of color selection in the near future besides what is available/'in production'? I'm not a fan of blue/grays or the dull burnt orange, rather have zest type orange.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I will research that bag. Any chance it'll have a wider range of color selection in the near future besides what is available/'in production'? I'm not a fan of blue/grays or the dull burnt orange, rather have zest type orange.
    That's a question for the excellent Customer Service folks, they would have a much better idea of what colors are planned. You can chat them via the website, call, or emailus@tombihn.com .
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After more researching, I'm leaning towards Aeronaut 45 now. If I need less bag, I can leave the souvenir pockets on each end empty. The A45 isn't going to protrude off the back nearly as much as the BB or a duffel and that means better load handling using the backpack straps.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    After more researching, I'm leaning towards Aeronaut 45 now. If I need less bag, I can leave the souvenir pockets on each end empty. The A45 isn't going to protrude off the back nearly as much as the BB or a duffel and that means better load handling using the backpack straps.
    I think that's likely to be an excellent choice! I like my A45 a lot. And I do find it easier to leave some empty space when it's a separate compartment like the ends of the Aeronauts.

The one consideration, though, is your laptop. Aeronauts can carry laptops but it isn't always convenient. Depending on the size of your laptop, you might be able to slide it into the back panel where the backpack straps live (I think someone called this the "smuggler's pocket," which I like) but it may be uncomfortable to have it in there while you're wearing the Aeronaut backpack-style. Otherwise your best bet will probably be to put it in the bottom of the main compartment, and maybe open up one of the interior zippers to let the laptop slide partway under one of the side compartments for more room. That can work great if you don't need to get your laptop out during travel, but inconvenient if you were planning on pulling the laptop out to use during a flight.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually put my laptop (in a neoprene case) on top of all the stuff packed into the A30 or A45. It goes into the overhead bin and I've never had a problem with damage or anything.
    If your bag is super packed, it's harder to do. On the A30, if it's getting a little tight, I unzip the top pocket wall and steal a little space.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my Windows Surface in the smuggler's pocket of my A30, in its padded sleeve, and it almost functions like a frame sheet, making the bag MORE comfortable to carry.

I have tried packing it partially full, but that really only works if the top compartment is empty, and the bottom of middle compartments are quite full. Otherwise it sits weird on your back.