Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The luggage pass through on the Synik isn’t really suitable to use as a pocket. The opening isn’t as big as people would want, it’s too deep, it’s an odd shape, and it’s a black hole. So you’re not missing out on much with it not having a closing bottom.

The Synik luggage frame pouch became a pass through when they realized they could leave the bottom open a bit. It didn’t start life as a pass through, that was a bonus. So it being a usable pocket as well would be twice removed from its original purpose.
    Thanks Cristina, I do appreciate your feedback and agree that the luggage handle pass through is deep and, by its very purpose, slim. But for me, I was not looking for a useable pocket but somewhere to occasionally slip in a thin document file, folded newspaper or magazine - such as when waiting at airport to board or in a train, not really when carrying as backpack. I don’t see that such an idea of a bottom fastener is really changing from current intended purpose - but which will not be used by all. The size of the pass through to accommodate luggage handles should be sufficient for paperwork to fit in.

@dgentile’s idea of velcro, although I don’t recall seeing this used at all on other Tom Bihn designs, could be an effective solution.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffon View Post
    I currently use the Brain Bag (BB) for one bag travel. I use one compartment to hold two packing cubes and the front compartment to hold a freudian slip with my slim laptop. Ithink, for the way I pack, the BB is a bit overkill. Because I fly international I have a 7kg limit for a carry on. Even if I wanted to pack out both compartments in the BB, I simply cant do it and stay within weight limit. So that brings me to the Synik 30. It look a tad lighter in the right material and seems to have a big enough main compartment to hold a couple packing cubes. Am I on the right path to try and use this for one bag travel under 7kg? I just bought my BB a couple months ago so I want to be sure replacing it will be a good move. Every ounce matters!
    I am working on my review of the Synik 30 and have done some exterior comparison shots with the Brain Bag.

I will be shooting photos today of the Synik 30 for travel purposes and will include packing cubes, Freudian Slip, and laptop to help give people a sense of what they can fit for one bag travel.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post
    I am working on my review of the Synik 30 and have done some exterior comparison shots with the Brain Bag.
    Thank you and I am looking forward to your review comparing with BB. At first, I was very excited about the Synik’s, but now I am less confident why I should buy one in addition to my BB as I read more reviews. I am disappointed that S22 is the same size (footprint) as S19 that is too small for me. With the increased depth (same footprint size as S25), S30 could feel like as large as BB. I was looking for something in between S25 and S19 in size and I thought S22 was that size. I am also disappointed that the notebook sleeve only fits thin and small notebooks. I heard that the straps are super comfortable though, which makes me still interested in S30.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any one explored water bottle fit in the front pockets on the S30? What size of Yeti/Hydroflask bottle fits? Thank you in advance.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we ever get an answer to “when, specifically, will the bags go on sale for pre-orders on August 13”? Apologies if it’s somewhere in one of these threads and Darcy has answered already. I’m on east coast time, so wondering if it’s 8:00 a.m. PST? midnight PST? Something else? Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taD3noaHmg View Post
    Has any one explored water bottle fit in the front pockets on the S30? What size of Yeti/Hydroflask bottle fits? Thank you in advance.
    I have two insulated Klean Kanteens, 16oz. and 20oz. Both fit in my Sy22 -- the 20oz. fills the pocket completely, the 16oz. gives a bit more space to add in a small notebook or something else.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    Thank you and I am looking forward to your review comparing with BB. At first, I was very excited about the Synik’s, but now I am less confident why I should buy one in addition to my BB as I read more reviews. I am disappointed that S22 is the same size (footprint) as S19 that is too small for me. With the increased depth (same footprint size as S25), S30 could feel like as large as BB. I was looking for something in between S25 and S19 in size and I thought S22 was that size. I am also disappointed that the notebook sleeve only fits thin and small notebooks. I heard that the straps are super comfortable though, which makes me still interested in S30.
    The S22 is bigger than the 19 -it is between the 19 & 25, the volume increase is partly there to allow for the built in laptop sling area. How much of the extra 3L is therefor available in the main compartment for non laptop stuff is part of what we'll hopefully all be sharing and exploring in the reviews.

The laptop/notebook size restriction on the SN22 has to do with the overall dimensions of the bag, since the sleeve is then further inboard of the seams, etc. If your laptop is larger than the smaller 13" ones, you wouldn't be able to use the SN22 inboard sleeve. The bag sizing isn't just about volumes, it's also about the size of person that they fit... as you size up or down for torso length, it usually follows that the bag volume changes as well.
    As a person who is vertically challenged, the S19 and SN22 fit my torso the best, but my laptops are large, so they can't fit in the inboard sleeve of the SN22... I also usually use a separate neoprene sleeve, so the Synik family isn't really a sweet spot for my use case and that's ok, there's plenty of folks who've been waiting for just these bags.

As more of the reviews/pack outs come out, you'll have a better chance to see if either of the new bags do meet an unmet need you have.
    Last edited by G42; 07-28-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    Did we ever get an answer to “when, specifically, will the bags go on sale for pre-orders on August 13”? Apologies if it’s somewhere in one of these threads and Darcy has answered already. I’m on east coast time, so wondering if it’s 8:00 a.m. PST? midnight PST? Something else? Thanks!
    Usually the time isn't mentioned until closer to the date but it's often sometime in the morning Pacific time.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Usually the time isn't mentioned until closer to the date but it's often sometime in the morning Pacific time.
    Thanks very much!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    No UV combinations are in the cards this year. Maybe next year if there’s enough requests.
    Emphatic request from me for Neb Grey / Ultraviolet! I've been eyeing the Side Effect in this combo and it looks great

I'm also super into the idea of Neb Grey / Viridian ballistic, which I don't think I've seen anywhere, but I'd absolutely love it.

Also Aubergine / Cloud! *also covets the L15 in this combo*

Of the currently announced options, I'm currently feeling really torn between Neb Grey / Dawn, and Aubergine / NW Sky (with Black / Cloud fighting its way in to my shortlist too). Aubergine is the most beautiful, and as a purple-lover it's hard to turn down this option, but Neb Grey is the most versatile/universal/understated choice, whilst still being a bit different than black. And I told myself that I really am going to get a grey backpack for my EDC (the Caribbean blue of my little Osprey Farpoint daypack that I've ended up using detached from its Farpoint 70 big brother stands out a bit more than I'd like in a more business/formal setting, and doesn't always go well with my clothing! Plus the full mesh back is just shredding said clothing, so I'm keen to put it back where it belongs with the 70 for proper travel use).

I'm a fan of the plain lining fabrics so the Dawn/Cloud ballistic really appeals... so with all that, I think Neb Grey/Dawn currently just has the edge. But I reserve the right to change my mind at least 3 times before pre-order opens!

Hoping to decide on a size by then too! I currently have an older 13" MacBook Air, which would seemingly sway towards the S30, but the vast majority of the time I only bring my 10.5" iPad, so I might be able to deal with the awkwardness until I save up the funds to upgrade. I manage to fit it into said Osprey (along with the iPad in the separate padded zip compartment), which is allegedly only 13L, despite being all but the same measurements as the S22... though it is 44cm tall compared to the S22's 40.6cm, which might be where the issue is.

I also have a Wenger Ibex 17", which feels much too big and boxy for me, so I'm concerned that it has some similarity to the S30's dimensions:

Ibex: 48 H x 35 W x 31 D
    S30: 50.8 H x 34 W x 27.4 D

The height is actually ok, having just tried it out, but I'm definitely aware of it being there from the width when I reach my arms back at all. Though the depth is undoubtedly what adds to the bulkiness feel, plus it's a more rigid sort of shape than the TB S*, so it may well be fine. I'm 5'7" with slightly wider shoulders than average for my height I think (and I have M/L in the Osprey packs), so it probably wouldn't be an issue purely based on body size and shape.

Not sure if I have a question in here - the S30 definitely doesn't look big and bulky from the pics and reviews so far, so I might just be inventing problems. Very keen to hear any thoughts from either the reviewers so far, or from people with the Synapse 25. I don't know anyone nearby with a Tom Bihn bag to get my hands on to try out for size, alas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taD3noaHmg View Post
    I've been trying my growing collection of bottles in the S30 and have mixed feelings on the newer design of the center pocket. I believe these changes are the same as the ones implemented to the other Synapses and noted in another thread recently.

I had a halcyon S25 that was a few years old, and that badboy could easily swallow a 40oz. hydroflask with the straw lid when the bag wasn't very full. It had even transported a 64oz. mason jar successfully. But the pocket is really meant for a typical 32oz. hydroflask/nalgene, and the newer design maintains this as the maximum.

The 40oz. hydroflask with the most low-profile screw top will not fit. Neither will the skinnier but equally as tall 24oz. standard mouth. As Snowster mentioned, the 20oz. (mine is the wide-mouth with the flip cap) fits well. I don't have my 32oz. at the moment to try, but I'm almost positive it will, as does a wide-mouth quart jar.

The positive side of this is that the side pockets seem much more capacious. One thing to note though is that the three areas now seem to share more of this space, so if either the left or right sides are relatively full, the center pocket will be a tighter fit for your bottle. Right now I have a Canon M6 mirrorless camera in one side pocket and a couple lenses in the other, and my narrow 20oz. bottle catches on the lenses in the adjacent compartment as I slide it into the center pocket. I just have to shimmy it around a bit until it falls into place. Not the end of the world, just different from previous generations. I sort of prefer the older capacity of the center pocket, but most people probably get more use out of the side pockets.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    I've been trying my growing collection of bottles in the S30 and have mixed feelings on the newer design of the center pocket. I believe these changes are the same as the ones implemented to the other Synapses and noted in another thread recently.

I had a halcyon S25 that was a few years old, and that badboy could easily swallow a 40oz. hydroflask with the straw lid when the bag wasn't very full. It had even transported a 64oz. mason jar successfully. But the pocket is really meant for a typical 32oz. hydroflask/nalgene, and the newer design maintains this as the maximum.

The 40oz. hydroflask with the most low-profile screw top will not fit. Neither will the skinnier but equally as tall 24oz. standard mouth. As Snowster mentioned, the 20oz. (mine is the wide-mouth with the flip cap) fits well. I don't have my 32oz. at the moment to try, but I'm almost positive it will, as does a wide-mouth quart jar.

The positive side of this is that the side pockets seem much more capacious. One thing to note though is that the three areas now seem to share more of this space, so if either the left or right sides are relatively full, the center pocket will be a tighter fit for your bottle. Right now I have a Canon M6 mirrorless camera in one side pocket and a couple lenses in the other, and my narrow 20oz. bottle catches on the lenses in the adjacent compartment as I slide it into the center pocket. I just have to shimmy it around a bit until it falls into place. Not the end of the world, just different from previous generations. I sort of prefer the older capacity of the center pocket, but most people probably get more use out of the side pockets.
    Thank you!

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgets View Post
    I went to an Apple retailer to see how the laptops fare in the laptop compartment. If your MacBook Air/Pro is made after late 2016, the bezels are more rounded and therefore easier to retrieve the laptop from the side opening. Older 13” laptops may be a problem.

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowster View Post
    I have two insulated Klean Kanteens, 16oz. and 20oz. Both fit in my Sy22 -- the 20oz. fills the pocket completely, the 16oz. gives a bit more space to add in a small notebook or something else.
    I have a 18oz Yeti Rambler and it fits in the bottle pocket of the S22 but it is a tight fit if the other pockets are overfilled.

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post

I will be shooting photos today of the Synik 30 for travel purposes and will include packing cubes, Freudian Slip, and laptop to help give people a sense of what they can fit for one bag travel.

Stay tuned!

Awesome. Cant wait!!

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast