Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted100 View Post
    Thanks yugo. I read that post earlier but was wondering how stretchable is the laptop compartment becaue it sounds like it will take in a larger laptop.
    Pretty stretchable. I put my 15 inch MacBook in the Synik 30 with my 11 inch iPad Pro that is in a Logitech keyboard case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I don’t have any insider info, however, TB are in Seattle and usually preorders open sometime in the morning, Pacific time. So it would most likely happen after your 7-9am EST window. More like early afternoon.

Edited to add: while the initial offerings of smaller items like Cubelets and Travel Cubelets did sell out within just a couple of hours, larger and more expensive items are usually a bit slower to sell out. I would be surprised if the Syniks sold out on the first day.
    Helpful! And, makes sense re more expensive items hanging around in inventory a bit longer....although if the window opens in early afternoon my time, I’ll be well into my meeting, and will have to keep my eye on things “quietly”. Thanks, Christina.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    Helpful! And, makes sense re more expensive items hanging around in inventory a bit longer....although if the window opens in early afternoon my time, I’ll be well into my meeting, and will have to keep my eye on things “quietly”. Thanks, Christina.
    Previous pre-orders that I've stalked have usually opened at 10am PST (1PM EST.) However for the last one I believe they may have done an 8am PST (11am EST) but I skipped the last pre-order so while I remember thinking the time was different, I don't remember exactly what time it was.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that we don't have enough Nordic Halcyon fabric to make preorders, but would there be a chance to request or get some limited number of that or Original Halcyon before they're retired? While I'm sure custom-color combos aren't the most scalable, it would be super nice if there was a way to release even a few super limited options into the hands of those colors' fans.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkibble View Post
    I haven't seen any mention nor did any of the pictures I saw have a shot of the gatekeeper loops for the hip belt. With the extra size I would think the padded hip belt option would be even more useful. Does it have those like the Synapse does?
    As @aedifica noted yes: the 1” Padded Hip Belt for the Synapse also works great with the Synik.

We lowered the waist/hip belt attachment points on the Synik — so, the included webbing waist belt or the optional Padded Hip Belt will fit an even wider variety of heights and torso lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Would all the Caches that fit in the Daylight Briefcase fit in the Synik 22?
    Yes -- in the main compartment. Some of the Caches might fit in the laptop compartment itself, but most probably would need to go in the main compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    May I offer one suggestion??

It would be nice if that Luggage handle pass through slot had a zipper at the bottom.

Why? I carry one bag only, will never use it as a luggage handle pass through, but would love to use it for important papers, or a magazine, airline ticket/boarding pass, etc. etc.

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Could o-rings be added to the frame pouch, in case one wants to remove the frame and use the pocket to hold a couple of organizer pouches for easy to retrieve stuff like paperwork.

I think it would be a great opportunity to design a portrait OP with a zipper at the shorter/vertical side instead of longitudinal/landscape side.
    @Cristina covered some of this, and I’ll add:

Adding a zipper to the bottom of the pass-through/frame area would restrict the opening for the luggage handle. This could mean that some wider handles that can currently fit through that opening wouldn’t be able to.

You might be able to feel that zipper slider/pull (or O-rings) against your back.

I don’t mean to be a bummer about this. If you knew how, in the design process, each of us thinks of stuff like this only to realize (we think) it won’t work for one reason or another…. that’s a big part of it. Some days it can be discouraging and other days we can see it as a good thing to sort through all of the options by eliminating some.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyan View Post
    Am planning a factory visit the first week of November...is it possible to pre-order and have them picked up from the factory myself, rather than waiting for it to be shipped to me in Singapore?
    Yes! emailus@tombihn.com

Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Darcy, sorry for making you repeat on this subject, but I'm not sure what you mean by your paragraph. Is a Guide's Edition Synik planned for next year? I love the Guide's Edition Synapse Deep Blue / Coyote and would love to get a Synik of that color combo. I see that one of the Synik pre-order colors is "Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic" but I presume that one has black zippers instead of coyote colored zippers?
    Yes. At this point, we plan to offer a Guide’s Edition Synik in early 2020.

And yes: the pre-order color Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic has black zippers, not coyote.

Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Is the main compartment zip on the Synik chunkier than the one used on the synapses? I'm thinking of the S19 here since that's what I have.
    It looks bigger in the photos.
    How does the zip size on the new bag compare to the sizes used on other TB bags in the same size range e.g. Western Flyer, Smart Alec, A30?
    Reason I ask is that the Western Flyer has a super chunky zip which is ok if the bag is ballistic but seemed a bit heavy for the halcyon fabric (which is why I switched to ballistic, well that and the Nordic colour wasn't really me Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers).
    I'm thinking ballistic for the S22 anyway because of the colours available, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I was wondering.
    The Synapse 19 has a #8 main compartment zipper; we upped it to a #10 zipper on the Synik 22.
    Both the Synapse 25 and the Synik 30 have #10 main compartment zippers.

The Western Flyer, Smart Alec, and Aeronaut 30 all use #10 zippers for their main compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by djkindred View Post
    Not sure if the link is allowed but search for “Tom Bihn Bags BST”.
    It’s okay to post the link. FWIW we aren’t part of, and haven’t seen the group, so we can’t vouch for it but we’ve heard it’s active and people like it/find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted100 View Post
    Would it be possible to cram a Dell 5480 (Height 0.88" x Width: 13.1" x Depth: 9.0") into the laptop compartment of the Synik 22? I very much prefer the smaller Synik for my EDC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    I also have a Dell, 13.03" x 8.8" x 0.70". I need to switch to a backpack from my Pilot, and I'm pretty sure the Synik 30 will be too big for me.
    Both @Ted100 and @Shortie — your laptops won’t fit in the laptop compartment of the Synik 22. You’d need to use the Synik 30.

Pasting it here for convenience:

Synik 22
Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
12.35” x 8.65” x 0.75” / 314mm x 220mm x 19mm

Synik 30
Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm

Always good to ask if you’re wondering if your device will fit!

Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    Did we ever get an answer to “when, specifically, will the bags go on sale for pre-orders on August 13”? Apologies if it’s somewhere in one of these threads and Darcy has answered already. I’m on east coast time, so wondering if it’s 8:00 a.m. PST? midnight PST? Something else? Thanks!
    We expect pre-order to open sometime 6:00am - 9:00am Pacific Time on August 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    Holy smokes this is dedication. Granted I haven't experienced a TB preorder, will they really "sell out" of the preorders that quickly? I envisioned the preorders being open for a week, but has past experience shown that if you don't order within minutes or within an hour you are out of luck?
    I can't imagine it would be minutes or hours. Otherwise, it depends on the pre-order. I'll have to give a magic 8-ball answer on this one: Cannot predict now.

Seriously, we don't know. Smilie We try to structure the pre-order so that bags are available for the one week -- from the day the pre-order opens until the day it closes.

Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    I saw that we don't have enough Nordic Halcyon fabric to make preorders, but would there be a chance to request or get some limited number of that or Original Halcyon before they're retired? While I'm sure custom-color combos aren't the most scalable, it would be super nice if there was a way to release even a few super limited options into the hands of those colors' fans.
    I hear you on this. At a certain point, we find we have to limit the number of color options — even with pre-orders, for which we offer the most color options. I’ll think about your request and maybe we can come up with a way to make it work.

Finally: I thought everyone might like to see some pictures from back in April when Nik took a Synik 30 on a trip to California. This was an earlier version of the Synik, though these photos don't really show off the differences between then and now.

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-early-synik-1-jpg

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-early-synik-2-jpg

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-early-synik-3-1-jpg
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a silly question, but what is the rationale for a zipper on the laptop sleeve? I would think the pack would fit more laptops if you just left top top completely open. It also would make taking a laptop in and out easier.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    This is a silly question, but what is the rationale for a zipper on the laptop sleeve? I would think the pack would fit more laptops if you just left top top completely open. It also would make taking a laptop in and out easier.
    Not a silly question at all... I can't find the original post about it (so correct me if I misstate @darcy/Mods)... but basically it's to ensure that if you use the side zipper access to put your laptop back in and get a little enthusiastic about it, you don't just push it right out the other side...

So you can just leave the zipper open at the top access point if you don't want to use it.
    Last edited by G42; 08-01-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: inevitable typos
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
    Big +1 on the Original Halcyon. And in my perfect world, the interior is Iberian, also before it goes!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or wasabi. Original Halcyon + Wasabi is a wonderful combo imo.

Also thanks darcy for explaining about the problems with zip at the bottom, that makes a lot of sense and helps a lot!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see Syniks in original halcyon/Island before original halcyon is history. Would be a great way for that fabric to go out with a bang. Very sad it's going to be retired and that the only 400d choice will be black halcyon.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Both @Ted100 and @Shortie — your laptops won’t fit in the laptop compartment of the Synik 22. You’d need to use the Synik 30.

Pasting it here for convenience:

Synik 22
12.35” x 8.65” x 0.75” / 314mm x 220mm x 19mm

Synik 30
14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm

Always good to ask if you’re wondering if your device will fit!
    Thank you, Darcy. As luck would have it today I started a new position at my company and will no longer have to carry my laptop every day. I'll leave my Pilot at work for the rare occasions I need to take my laptop home. And the new position is in an office building with a gym. So my EDC will include gym clothes instead of a laptop and I can use a Synik 22. *happy dance* Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    Thank you, Darcy. As luck would have it today I started a new position at my company and will no longer have to carry my laptop every day. I'll leave my Pilot at work for the rare occasions I need to take my laptop home. And the new position is in an office building with a gym. So my EDC will include gym clothes instead of a laptop and I can use a Synik 22. *happy dance* Smilie
    Keep in mind (I'm not where I can measure it right now to check your specific size) but you always have the backup option of just putting the laptop into the main compartment and NOT the sleeve area.
    For example, my old MacBook Air won't fit in the S22 onboard sleeve, but I can fit it into my S19 or SN22 in a separate neoprene sleeve or the cache.
    Just another backup option besides the Pilot (but Pilot's are cool, so it's also a good excuse to use it)
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tuskegee7294;178012]It’s not too boxy once you start playing with it. At first it did seem to look a little weird but once I started packing it with stuff it started to look like the Synapse only a little wider.

Can you do me a favor tuskegee7294? I would like to use this as a 1 bag carry for minimalist travel, but it is smaller than I was looking for. Do you have packing cubes? Would you do a post on the SN22 with how they fit in the main compartment? Please. From the photos it could work.

Thanks so much. Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. You can leave it open, but I'm under the impression that a sleeve with a zipper will never open as wide as one without a zipper because of the lack of stretch and the space a zipper needs on each end.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there someone who owns the SN22 and the L12 and could say something about the straps? (I haven’t read the whole thread, sorry if this was asked before.) The straps of the L12 are lovely and smooth, but they’re not right for me - just the outer edges touch my body. Is this also an issue with the SN22? I really like the layout of the L12, but I’m thinking about passing it on because of the strap issue. I thought it would get better with wear, but it’s just not that comfortable to wear it over a longer time.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast