Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taD3noaHmg View Post
    Super random question. Will the Synik 30 fit on the handle of a Pelican 1510? 1000 internet points to anyone who can answer this... Thank you!
    I happen to have a Pelican 1510 as well as the S30. The handle fits through the bottom of the passthrough, but not the top. So can hook your fingers onto the handle through the opening and tow it behind you pretty well, but the handle won't extend all the way through. It definitely makes a nice perch for the S30 though.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darcy! Those videos were amazingly helpful. I'm definitely ordering a Synik but have been torn between the 22 and 30. I have Synapse 25 that I use as my personal item carry on and I think it actually is too long to fit under the seat (the top sticks out where my feet want to be). I love the Synik's 30 size but I think the 22 size would be best - just not sure if my laptop (HP Elitebook or my Surface Pro 2) would fit.

Can someone point me to a comparison between the 525 Ballistic and the Parapack? I don't have a bag with parapack yet so I don't know what to think of it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear02 View Post
    Thanks Darcy! Those videos were amazingly helpful. I'm definitely ordering a Synik but have been torn between the 22 and 30. I have Synapse 25 that I use as my personal item carry on and I think it actually is too long to fit under the seat (the top sticks out where my feet want to be). I love the Synik's 30 size but I think the 22 size would be best - just not sure if my laptop (HP Elitebook or my Surface Pro 2) would fit.

Can someone point me to a comparison between the 525 Ballistic and the Parapack? I don't have a bag with parapack yet so I don't know what to think of it.
    Heads up, I have an HP Elitebook for work and it does NOT fit the onboard laptop sleeve on the SN22... I can put it into the main compartment in a neoprene sleeve though, because there is more space that way.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Heads up, I have an HP Elitebook for work and it does NOT fit the onboard laptop sleeve on the SN22... I can put it into the main compartment in a neoprene sleeve though, because there is more space that way.
    @G42 - Cycling back for greater clarification because I have an HP Elitebook too. Are you saying you can slip your HP into the S22’s built-in computer sleeve but only via the main compartment? Or are you saying it doesn’t fit into the built-in compartment at all?
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    @G42 - Cycling back for greater clarification because I have an HP Elitebook too. Are you saying you can slip your HP into the S22’s built-in computer sleeve but only via the main compartment? Or are you saying it doesn’t fit into the built-in compartment at all?

The old MacBook Air 13 and the 13" HP Elitebooks (my personal and work laptops) CANNOT fit in the onboard laptop sleeve of the SN22.

You can physically force them in, but it's very hard to get them out again & they stress the bag too much. TB has also said that they're too big (ie, that would probably violate the warranty).

Since the bag is bigger than the onboard sleeve, you can fit either of them (or similar) into the main compartment of the SN22 - just not the onboard sleeve, so no side access obviously as well.
    I happen to have non-TB neoprene sleeves for both laptops, so that is what I put them in if I'm carrying them in my Synapse 19, Aeronauts, Pilots, etc.

Sorry for the confusion
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear02 View Post
    You might find the Materials page useful!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old MacBook Air 13 and the 13" HP Elitebooks (my personal and work laptops) CANNOT fit in the onboard laptop sleeve of the SN22.

You can physically force them in, but it's very hard to get them out again & they stress the bag too much. TB has also said that they're too big (ie, that would probably violate the warranty).
    NOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!

Now I’m sad. Think the only solution is to buy an S22 and try out how it loads.

P.S. Now that my drama is over, thanks @G42!
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    I happen to have a Pelican 1510 as well as the S30. The handle fits through the bottom of the passthrough, but not the top. So can hook your fingers onto the handle through the opening and tow it behind you pretty well, but the handle won't extend all the way through. It definitely makes a nice perch for the S30 though.
    You're awesome. This bums me out though. I may skip the pre-order and wait for more reviews now. Thank you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone done any men's suit packing in the SN30?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this questions is OK to ask... because it my specific dilemma. My max pack is in two packing cubes, specifically the Peak Designs Medium and small. Will these 2 packing cubes fit together into the SN30 main compartment?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been curious about this too, since I picked up some refurb cubes on eBay when I thought I was getting the PD travel pack (still under consideration.). The short answer appears to be yes, but you have to ask in what configuration - compressed or uncompressed, stacked or side by side.

The length and width of the PD cubes are larger than A30 cubes, but smaller than A45 cubes: S=12.6" x 6.7"; M=12.6" x 12.6". Their depth is 3.1" compressed (but they bulge out further than that when packed) and 6.7" uncompressed.

Packhacker (in comments to their quick hits video) have this picture of packed, compressed PD cubes laying side by side in the main compartment, but the S cube is kind of scrunched in (even though the stated footprint of the 2 cubes is smaller than the stated footprint of the SN30):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0

Packhacker also has this video showing a fully packed, uncompressed M cube fitting pretty easily in the bottom part of the SN30:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    Last edited by ayazgood; 08-11-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The straps on the Synapse 25 always feel like they are sliding away from my neck and feeling like they will slide off my shoulders. Maybe, my shoulders are narrower than average? Is the geometry of the Synik straps the same? I fine that Tom Bihn straps are more "s-shaped," where other brands are straighter. Or maybe it's the Tom Bihn straps angle sharply towards the left and right at the top of the bag, where other brands tend to be straight from the top to the bottom of the bag. Why do Tom Bihn Synapse straps have such a unique angle and does the Synik have the same? Thanks.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old MacBook Air 13 and the 13" HP Elitebooks (my personal and work laptops) CANNOT fit in the onboard laptop sleeve of the SN22. Since the bag is bigger than the onboard sleeve, you can fit either of them (or similar) into the main compartment of the SN22 - just not the onboard sleeve, so no side access obviously as well.
    In your opinion, is there enough bottom padding in the SN22 to protect a laptop with just a thin sleeve? I also have an ancient 13-inch MacBook Air and would love to be able to carry it in the SN22 without carrying/using an extra laptop bag for protection. Hate that the included SN22 laptop pocket won't work for me at the moment, but I'll need a new computer one day so there's hope!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb88 View Post
    The straps on the Synapse 25 always feel like they are sliding away from my neck and feeling like they will slide off my shoulders. Maybe, my shoulders are narrower than average? Is the geometry of the Synik straps the same? I fine that Tom Bihn straps are more "s-shaped," where other brands are straighter. Or maybe it's the Tom Bihn straps angle sharply towards the left and right at the top of the bag, where other brands tend to be straight from the top to the bottom of the bag. Why do Tom Bihn Synapse straps have such a unique angle and does the Synik have the same? Thanks.
    @tb88, I sometimes felt like my Synapse 19 straps wanted to slide off my shoulders, but I have not experienced that with the Synik 22. I am not sure if it is the additional width of the Synik straps, the angle, or that the Synik seems slightly heavier with the addition of the framesheet (which I have been leaving in), but it seems to have solved the problem for me. I do not have enormous shoulders either.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    In your opinion, is there enough bottom padding in the SN22 to protect a laptop with just a thin sleeve? I also have an ancient 13-inch MacBook Air and would love to be able to carry it in the SN22 without carrying/using an extra laptop bag for protection. Hate that the included SN22 laptop pocket won't work for me at the moment, but I'll need a new computer one day so there's hope!
    I use a relatively thin Apple neoprene sleeve for my old Air in the Synapse 19, A30, etc. and it's what I'll use in my Synik 22. I think the sleeve is more than enough by itself, because I don't throw my backpack around, drop it from off my back, etc. thought I don't treat my bag like it's fragile either...
    I've used a variety of bags with this sleeve in the 7 or so years I've had the laptop and never had an issue. The extra padding on the bottom of the SN22 is therefor just a bonus to me...
    So it depends on how you personally handle your stuff.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast