Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
    France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sure the info was shared in a much earlier post, but struggling to find it... What size cache fit into the Synik 22 and 30 main compartments?

As the main compartment will be a touch bigger than the laptop compartment (but not sure whether the cache may take up thta extra space), interested to know what slightly larger laptop sizes might be able to be carried in either Synik for occasional use..

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    I’m sure the info was shared in a much earlier post, but struggling to find it... What size cache fit into the Synik 22 and 30 main compartments?

As the main compartment will be a touch bigger than the laptop compartment (but not sure whether the cache may take up thta extra space), interested to know what slightly larger laptop sizes might be able to be carried in either Synik for occasional use..
    The Synik FAQ says:

Synik 22

Cache

If you need to carry two laptops or devices, one can fit in the built-in laptop compartment and the other could fit in a Cache that’s stowed in the main compartment. You can secure the Cache to the set of rail loops above the open-top pocket in the main compartment, or even use the included tie-down straps to secure the Cache against the front of the laptop compartment. The Synik 22 will fit up to the Size 13 A/B/C/D/E Cache.

Synik 30

The Synik 30 will fit up to the Size 15 A/B/C/D Cache.

I plan to use a Cache 15A in a Synik 30 for my 15.6" Lenovo Y540 gaming laptop with dimensions 14.25" x 10.5625" x 1.1875".

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    The Synik FAQ says:

Synik 22

Cache

If you need to carry two laptops or devices, one can fit in the built-in laptop compartment and the other could fit in a Cache that’s stowed in the main compartment. You can secure the Cache to the set of rail loops above the open-top pocket in the main compartment, or even use the included tie-down straps to secure the Cache against the front of the laptop compartment. The Synik 22 will fit up to the Size 13 A/B/C/D/E Cache.

Synik 30

The Synik 30 will fit up to the Size 15 A/B/C/D Cache.

I plan to use a Cache 15A in a Synik 30 for my 15.6" Lenovo Y540 gaming laptop with dimensions 14.25" x 10.5625" x 1.1875".
    Thanks @yugo! I knew I’d seen it somewhere, but search failed me.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have missed this in the thread, but if I decide not to preorder Synik, when will they be available for sale as in stock item on the site?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrowndog View Post
    I might have missed this in the thread, but if I decide not to preorder Synik, when will they be available for sale as in stock item on the site?
    The schedule information does not list when the Synik will appear as an in-stock item, but perhaps in November or so, after the pre-orders ship?

Pre-order timeline:

August 13th
    Pre-order opens sometime 7:00am – 9:00am Pacific Time / remains open until 08/20 unless either size of Synik sells out. You can sign up on the Synik 22 or 30 pages to be notified the moment pre-order opens.

August 20th
    Pre-order closes.

Late October
    Pre-order Syniks ship.

And the FAQ stating that the Guide's Edition of the Synik will be "early 2020."

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been thinking more and more about how a 13” PC won’t fit into the S22 built-in laptop compartment. That seems like a deficiency to me since 13” is so common for a lot of smaller laptops. And yeah, I know I could use a cache or other sleeve but it defeats the purpose of the builit-in compartment. It seems like the compartment is geared more towards a tablet in the S22.

Here’s my question. Once a design is released to production, does TB ever rethink a design and make a revision in its specs shortly after going into production? Or would this only occur as a major revision years later?

I’m asking because I’m trying to decide whether they’re are enough changes in the S22 to purchase it even though my HP Elitebook won’t fit the laptop compartment. The built-in compartment was originally the main driver for my interest.

For me, it’s a question of whether the extra 3L in the S22 is worth the purchase as I already have an S19 and S25 (and don’t want the S30). Both are only about a year old.

I carry an iPad every day but a laptop at most 2 days per week. Usually I use the S19 for non-laptop days and switch to the S25 when I do carry one or generally have a heavier load. For example, in the winter, I tend to carry the s25 almost every day because it gives me more room for winter items whereas in the summer I carry the S19 half the time because my load is smaller. The S22 would probably be a compromise to fit both winter’s heavier load and summer’s lighter one, making it more of a single EDC, even in winter, saving the S25 for travel.

If however, TB ever makes design adjustments less than a year after a release, then it might be worthwhile to wait.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by KathyH; 08-12-2019 at 12:31 AM.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I’ve been thinking more and more about how a 13” PC won’t fit into the S22 built-in laptop compartment. That seems like a deficiency to me since 13” is so common for a lot of smaller laptops. And yeah, I know I could use a cache or other sleeve but it defeats the purpose of the builit-in compartment. It seems like the compartment is geared more towards a tablet in the S22.
    I'm in a similar boat, in that my 15.6" gaming laptop does not fit into the Synik 30, so I am forced to use a Cache 15A, and the built-in laptop compartment is largely wasted for me. But I understand that there is probably not a lot of overlap between people who one bag and own a gaming laptop; a MacBook Pro is much more common. In a similar vein, the Synik 22 will fit a 2015 13" MacBook Pro or newer 13" MacBook Air, but not some 13" PC laptops like yours. I am trying to justify the existence of the otherwise-useless-to-me built-in laptop compartment in that I do have a work MacBook Pro that I might carry from time to time, as well serving as a pouch for a Kindle or tablet.

But the main draw of the Synik 30 for me is the luggage-like clamshell opening, which would help ease packing for my overnight trips. My two cents would be to judge the usefulness of the clamshell feature as to whether or not you should want a Synik over your existing Synapse. If the clamshell is not useful to you, skip the Synik and continue happily using your Synapse.

I do hope that Tom Bihn makes consideration for possible changes and improvements in later versions of the bag. People like you and I with larger-than-MacBook laptops might not be a majority of laptop owners, but I would like to think we are a big enough audience to be considered for a future model with a bigger built-in laptop compartment. Or perhaps a Synapse with updated straps and other improvements from the Synik, so that the built-in laptop compartment is removed.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s my question. Once a design is released to production, does TB ever rethink a design and make a revision in its specs shortly after going into production? Or would this only occur as a major revision years later?

I’m asking because I’m trying to decide whether they’re are enough changes in the S22 to purchase it even though my HP Elitebook won’t fit the laptop compartment. The built-in compartment was originally the main driver for my interest.

For me, it’s a question of whether the extra 3L in the S22 is worth the purchase as I already have an S19 and S25 (and don’t want the S30). Both are only about a year old.

I carry an iPad every day but a laptop at most 2 days per week. Usually I use the S19 for non-laptop days and switch to the S25 when I do carry one or generally have a heavier load. For example, in the winter, I tend to carry the s25 almost every day because it gives me more room for winter items whereas in the summer I carry the S19 half the time because my load is smaller. The S22 would probably be a compromise to fit both winter’s heavier load and summer’s lighter one, making it more of a single EDC, even in winter, saving the S25 for travel.

If however, TB ever makes design adjustments less than a year after a release, then it might be worthwhile to wait.

Thoughts?

I think the new design on the Synik series is a very cool step in a good direction.
    is it flawless? certainly no...

but in all my years as a backpack-addict I haven't found one single bag that does everything right - some come close.
    it is because of this that I believe when you buy a new backpack that YOU need to decide which of its advantanges outweigh its disadvantages for you personally.
    Personally if I'd be in your shoes with the laptop NOT fitting the designated built-in laptop compartment, that would be a deal breaker for me, or respectively push me towards the larger size if needed.
    whilst I usually carry my 12" Surface pro 6 around every day (it's my main workstation) it's a rather compact/tiny/thin/Lightweight computer... I actually bought it for that specific reasons - because it has enough computing power for what I need it to do, a decent keyboard and a brilliant touchscreen at a pretty much unbeatable size.
    but yes, a 13" compartment on a backpack is what I'd personally see as a minimum... but I guess here's where you can argue... there are some "13" notebooks which are really beefy... heavier and almost larger than some 15" models... and there's a few really portable 15" models out there...

Personally I wish tom bihn would have stuck with the 19/25 ... or say 20 / 26 litre or so range and didn't up-size to 22/30....
    for my personal needs a 25 litre pack is perfect in size and can do EDC and extended one bag travel really really well (I can go with 20ltr... but cold climate/season will make that a bit of a stretch, that's why I opt for 25.)... usually when I travel I don't fill up the 25ltr. to the brim... so I know a 30ltr pack will essentially be too large.
    But I don't like to over-pack / pack to the max... so I think the 22 will be just a tad on the small size... and thus I'm sort of torn between the new 22 or 33 for tomorrow's pre-order.
    I'm not tall (5'9") but I do have a rather broad back / beefy shoulders... so I guess the 30 wouldn't look too weird as a EDC bag on my back.
    I also don't like the upped size because it has been done by adding depth to the pack .- something I'd rather not have too much off.
    On the other hand, the pack (synik) seems to "compress" easily when not stuffed full - so again it might not be that noticable.
    (I was sooo close to ordering the synapse 25, when I just discovered they were bringing forth the synik... the synik has what the synapse has been lacking in my opinion:
    - clamshell
    - laptop compartment
    - better straps.
    I just wish they'd kept it at around 25ltr. ...
    and this is the loop-back on the compomises - personal advantages/downsides within a specific pack.
    if I'm realisitc I know that I can pack probably everything in the 22... but I know that during colder climates, when I travel, the 22 will be filled pretty much to the top... which I dislike.
    The 30 I know don't have to stuff it fully... and thus well it might be a bit larger, or even too large - but I think if it isn't stuffed full it'll sort of compress down neatly enough not to bother me.
    the other way round - a fully stuffed pack would bother me endlessly ... So I think my decision is to go with my personal lesser of two evils

Reflecting back on your laptop dillema, I'd say again, for me the dedicated and suspended laptop compartment is a crucial feature... if I'd be carrying my laptop only once a week of a few times a month, I'd be prbably happy to stuff it in a neoprene sleeve and cram it inside the main compartment somwhere... but if it's a regular / daily thing I know *I* would not be happy with that.
    I've had packs with and without dedicated external laptop access and if you rely on a laptop during work/travel this is an indispensible feature to me. it makes all the difference in comfort.
    it's so much less annoying than cramming it in the main compartment.
    hands down one of the best deisgns in that regards for THIN laptops is what goruck has done with their laptop compartment on the GR-Series. it's vistually "invisble" - it doesn't get in the way of the main compartment, the laptop is quite well protected, and it's VERY easy to access it. The design (GR1) has it's flaws too though... firstly the zippers aren't aquaguard... and contrary to the main compartment the laptop compartment has no "zipper flap" either... so in heavy weather I usually stuff the laptop in a thin but fully waterproof exped rolltop cover... (it lives in the bottom of my pack for when needed, weighs nothing and is again, fully seam sealed... so I can essentially waterproof my laptop if needed)... then also the laptop compartment on the GR works extremly well with THIN laptops.. anything more substantial like graphic-workstation grade laptop (think CAD not Illustrator) or a gamer's laptop will have a pretty hard time fitting in there, you also need to move the shoulder strap(s) out of the way to fully access the compartment..
    Another pack I frequently use is the Millican "Smith the roll" pack (25ltrs) it has a dedicated laptop comaprtment, which isn't bad... but whilst they say it's 15" rated... it would be a bit of an act of violence to thwart it in there every time (ok I'm exaggerating - but it's a close call). my 12" fits perfectly-sort of... really depends on how you pack the bag... you see the laptop compartment whilst nice, hasn't - in my opinion - been really designed with the idea of actually packing the rest of the bag with a decent load... the pack will bend (the frameshee is really not stiff, it's too soft in my opinion) ... it will then be difficult to even stuff the 12" in there with ease... it's a lovely pack, great materials, (in my opinion) very cool looks and features... it's a good EDC ... BUT the lapttop comaprtment is a bit of an after thought.
    Then here's the thing I've got more packs (yeah, I know... I can't help it though). the ones WITHOUT a laptop compartment have essentially been kicked off the EDC/Travel list completely...
    OF course I don't care about a laptop compartment on my mountaineering & hiking packs... they need to do other things, crucial things, better... but for EDC & Travel the dedicated laptop compartment has been a defining feature... and having quick access makes that one last email at the airport, etc a breeze.

So I see two options - both have their merits:
    get the larger pack....
    or get a smaller / lighter laptop

(Ok, I don't suggest you need to torture the piggy bank and make it squeal so hard that you can go digital candy shopping for an ultrabook so that you can then happily buy the Synik 22... but if a laptop replacment is in you near future anyhow, consider IF a smaller / thinner laptop could work well for you (yes, they do also come with a set of drawbacks on their own, compromises everywhere I guess.)
    I downsized from a 15 to a 13" macbook pro years ago... in between I had what I considered the almost perfect computer (The 11" macbook air, which they stopped making,... I had the tricked out maxed out version that ran like a little speed demon)... then I needed to switch to windows (two of my frquently used tools were only win based and I wasn't about to run a already powerhungry app on a virtual machine)... and I wanted something that was again, smaller / lighter than the 13" I had... got the surface and it has been mostly great.
    Would I switch back to mac I'd definitely go with the newest macbook air.... I'm actually pondering buying an 11" iPad Pro once iPadOS (iOS13 for iPad) hits the final realease - as it solves 99% of my issues with the iPAd and would make it into an ultra comapact travel computer... it doesn't do everything - but everything I would need to do whilst travelling, remotely working.
    I've long been what is known as a onebagger - keeping my kit light, and compact is a way of life (frankly I just hate having to leave my shit behind and I'm too lazy to carry 20kg of stuff I never wear or use)..

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    I've been curious about this too, since I picked up some refurb cubes on eBay when I thought I was getting the PD travel pack (still under consideration.). The short answer appears to be yes, but you have to ask in what configuration - compressed or uncompressed, stacked or side by side.

The length and width of the PD cubes are larger than A30 cubes, but smaller than A45 cubes: S=12.6" x 6.7"; M=12.6" x 12.6". Their depth is 3.1" compressed (but they bulge out further than that when packed) and 6.7" uncompressed.

Packhacker (in comments to their quick hits video) have this picture of packed, compressed PD cubes laying side by side in the main compartment, but the S cube is kind of scrunched in (even though the stated footprint of the 2 cubes is smaller than the stated footprint of the SN30):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0

Packhacker also has this video showing a fully packed, uncompressed M cube fitting pretty easily in the bottom part of the SN30:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    Awesome intel. It looks like it should work, if packed carefully. Thanks!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been thinking more and more about how a 13” PC won’t fit into the S22 built-in laptop compartment. That seems like a deficiency to me since 13” is so common for a lot of smaller laptops.
    This isn't entirely correct. The Synik 22 page says "The Synik 22 fits laptops up to the size of the 13” MacBook Pro (but not the older non-Retina Air) or the Dell XPS 13". So yes, there may be some 13" laptops that won't fit but others definitely do! The older 13" MacBook Air is longer than most 13" laptops to the best of my knowledge, and that's why it doesn't fit. Anything the size of a 13" MacBook Pro or 13" Dell XPS should fit just fine in the Synik 22.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried working through this whole thread but may have missed a couple of items.

1.) Have any review units in parapack been shipped? I'd don't recall seeing any images/videos.

2.) Just to confirm, the reason the S30 looks much wider than the S25 is because of an increase to the depth and not an increase in the width...correct?

To quote a great movie, "When will then be now?" "Soon"

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim13 View Post
    I've tried working through this whole thread but may have missed a couple of items.

1.) Have any review units in parapack been shipped? I'd don't recall seeing any images/videos.
    @bartleby has a parapack SN30

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ynik-30-a.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    @G42 Have you seen a Halycon review appear yet? I may have missed it.

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djkindred View Post
    @G42 Have you seen a Halycon review appear yet? I may have missed it.

Thanks!
    I don't recall any... so far only 525 ballistic and at least one Parapack... they probably hadn't made any/many yet. There's only one halcyon option in this first pre-order.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim13 View Post

2.) Just to confirm, the reason the S30 looks much wider than the S25 is because of an increase to the depth and not an increase in the width...correct?

To quote a great movie, "When will then be now?" "Soon"
    1) This review by slightlysaltybagman also features his use of a navy parapack Synik 30 in addition to bartleby’s review.

2) The top is more squared off and therefore wider, but the added depth also gives the appearance the whole bag could seem wider compared to the Synapse. At first I thought everything was in fact bigger on the Synik compared to the Synapse.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast