Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raise your hand if color wins out over fabric type.

Got to admit I love the Halcyon but will choose color first every time. Big Grin
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tuskegee7294 Do I correctly surmise form your post that the 26oz Yeti bottle did not completely fit in the water bottle pocket?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Raise your hand if color wins out over fabric type.

Got to admit I love the Halcyon but will choose color first every time. Big Grin
    Not this time! I usually avoid black or blue bags but the more I thought about parapack the more I realized that was what I really wanted.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure this question has been asked or covered in one of the many reviews/faqs/etc, but I can't find it and the forum search function is not working well for me at the moment. I'd love to know which Freudian Slip(s) fit the Synik 22? EDITED TO ADD... Ah I found it hidden deep down under all the organizer pouch etc info in the FAQ. Sorry for my oversight!
    Last edited by Tonya; 08-13-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I'm sure this question has been asked or covered in one of the many reviews/faqs/etc, but I can't find it and the forum search function is not working well for me at the moment. I'd love to know which Freudian Slip(s) fit the Synik 22? EDITED TO ADD... Ah I found it hidden deep down under all the organizer pouch etc info in the FAQ. Sorry for my oversight!
    There’s a Synik FAQ that includes suggestions for organizers - https://blog.tombihn.com/synik-faq
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck1369 View Post
    @tuskegee7294 Do I correctly surmise form your post that the 26oz Yeti bottle did not completely fit in the water bottle pocket?
    The handle sticks out some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 questions about the Synik 30...

1. Will the laptop compartment fit my work issued Dell Latitude 3590? Dimensions are:14.96" x 10.16" x 0.89"

2. Will the Brain Bag freudian slip fit into the pouch area on the front of the main compartment?

3. For those who got pre-release bags, has anyone used it for edc? The posts I've seen all have people packing it for trips, but does it work well as a regular work backpack with the clamshell design? I worry that stuff will have a tendency to cluster together in the bag if it's packed clamshell but used top loading.

My ideal carry for this bag is for work. Where I have my laptop in the laptop compartment and my notebooks in my brain bag freudian slip in the front pouch. This leaves the bulk of the main compartment for my sidekick purse, Nintendo Switch and possibly my Oculus Quest (the latter two items to be used during my lunch break, of course).

Unfortunately, if either my laptop or notebooks don't fit in the pouches, I may have to pass on considering this bag. I want to make best use of the bag space and would rather not have everything stacked on top of each other in the main compartment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nolegrl; 08-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    1. Will the laptop compartment fit my work issued Dell Latitude 3590? Dimensions are:14.96" x 10.16" x 0.89"
    No, the Dell Latitude 3590 at 14.96" x 10.16" x 0.89" will not fit in the built-in compartment. The Synik FAQ says:

"Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
    14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm
    Example devices: the 2015 15” MacBook Pro Retina or the 2019 15” MacBook Pro Touchbar will fit in the Synik 30 laptop compartment."

You would need to do what I'm doing with my larger 15.6" laptop, which is to use a Tom Bihn cache that attaches with the rail system to the inside of the Synik's main compartment. In your case, it would be a cache size 15A, which fits laptops of 15.24" x 10.67" x 0.39-1.10".

2. Will the Brain Bag freudian slip fit into the pouch area on the front of the main compartment?
    Yes, see imagineez's review where he shows a photo of the different Freudian Slips:

And had this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by imagineez View Post
    With the S25 Freudian Slip, you have access to the side o-rings at the main compartment’s back wall, by the laptop compartment zipper. The Brain Bag Freudian Slip will cover access to these side o-rings. An issue if you rely on o-rings there.

It is slightly easier to access the zipper of laptop compartment with the S25 FS placed in front of it - though the BB FS is slightly shorter in height and it’s just as easy to move/bend the FS’s out of the way.

The thickness is the same for both the FS’s. Definitely a less cluttered feel with the S25 FS in place at the top, but the S25 FS tends to slump down (do a curve-in) if you don’t pack the bottom two pockets or have very much placed inside the main compartment.

If I had to pick between the two, and I already had a BB FS, I would just stick with the BB FS.

Personally, my main go-to FS is the medium cafe bag - it’s so easy to transfer between all my bags, including to my small zippered shopping bags I can also use for EDC and work purposes.
    Last edited by yugo; 08-14-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    No, the Dell Latitude 3590 at 14.96" x 10.16" x 0.89" will not fit in the built-in compartment. The Synik FAQ says:

"Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
    14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm
    Example devices: the 2015 15” MacBook Pro Retina or the 2019 15” MacBook Pro Touchbar will fit in the Synik 30 laptop compartment."

You would need to do what I'm doing with my larger 15.6" laptop, which is to use a Tom Bihn cache that attaches with the rail system to the inside of the Synik's main compartment. In your case, it would be a cache size 15A, which fits laptops of 15.24" x 10.67" x 0.39-1.10".

Yes, see imagineez's review where he shows a photo of the different Freudian Slips:

And had this to say:
    Thanks! I already have the 15a cache that I'm currently using in my brain bag. Unfortunately, it sounds like this bag won't work for me. The hope was the the built in laptop sleeve would eliminate the need for the cache, the freudian slip would slip into the elastic pouch leaving the main compartment completely free for my bulkier items and everything is easy to access.

The brain bag will still be my work bag it seems. The two separate compartments easily separate out my work items and personal items and don't interfere with each other.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 questions about the Synik 30...

3. For those who got pre-release bags, has anyone used it for edc? The posts I've seen all have people packing it for trips, but does it work well as a regular work backpack with the clamshell design? I worry that stuff will have a tendency to cluster together in the bag if it's packed clamshell but used top loading.

My ideal carry for this bag is for work. Where I have my laptop in the laptop compartment and my notebooks in my brain bag freudian slip in the front pouch. This leaves the bulk of the main compartment for my sidekick purse, Nintendo Switch and possibly my Oculus Quest (the latter two items to be used during my lunch break, of course).
    I have indeed used it as a daily carry - both at MacStock and since I got home! I mostly use my Medium Café Bag so for most days it's too big - but if I am carrying my laptop and other things then I'd opt for either my Synik or my Waterfield Staad (the latter for when I just need my laptop and iPad - not a lot more).

Personally for me I'd see the 30 as too big for daily carry but with what you'd be packing in it it does seem like the right size. (I'm also 5'7" though.)

Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck1369 View Post
    Went back to REI and was able to fit a 26oz Yeti Rambler but it was with a little difficulty but that could be due to how I have my bag loaded. If your side pocket items are encroaching into the water bottle pocket then the bottle will not go in smoothly.

18oz is the sweet spot

If you change the top that could make a difference.

Hope this helps. Tried the Hydroflask but a lot of their lids are tall which keeps the bag from closing.

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    Florida, US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RosemaryOrchard View Post
    I have indeed used it as a daily carry - both at MacStock and since I got home! I mostly use my Medium Café Bag so for most days it's too big - but if I am carrying my laptop and other things then I'd opt for either my Synik or my Waterfield Staad (the latter for when I just need my laptop and iPad - not a lot more).

Personally for me I'd see the 30 as too big for daily carry but with what you'd be packing in it it does seem like the right size. (I'm also 5'7" though.)

Yeah, if my work laptop wasn't so big, I would try the 22, but judging by an earlier response, the Synik is completely out for me since my laptop won't fit in the 30 either.

That's alright though, I'm ok with using my brain bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Went back to REI and was able to fit a 26oz Yeti Rambler but it was with a little difficulty but that could be due to how I have my bag loaded. If your side pocket items are encroaching into the water bottle pocket then the bottle will not go in smoothly.

18oz is the sweet spot

If you change the top that could make a difference.

Hope this helps. Tried the Hydroflask but a lot of their lids are tall which keeps the bag from closing.

Also a 32 oz Hydroflask Wide Mouth will fit but it is a tight fit and you have to be mindful of the items in the side pockets.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the second pre-order is here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post179544
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast