Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: In Chase Reeves' review of the Synik, he carries his 15" MacBook Pro in the mesh compartment of the Synik 22. Chase says at 18 minutes 30 seconds in:

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Reeves
    I can just fit my 15" into this 22-liter. I have a 15" MacBook Pro; I can just fit it in [the mesh pocket of the main compartment] and get [the bag's] corners around this thing.
    So a 15" laptop on the smaller end (MacBook Pro) that is naked (no sleeve or cache) sounds like it can fit into the main compartment of the Synik 22.

Original post:
    I asked Tom Bihn's support if a 15" Cache can fit inside the main compartment of a Synik 22, in the hopes that even if a 15" laptop would not fit in the built-in compartment, it could still be carried, but the answer is no:

Quote Originally Posted by Kat at Tom Bihn
    I'm afraid that none of our 15" Caches, including the 15A, will fit into the Synik 22. The Synik has a design that curves towards the top of the bag, so a larger 15" laptop will not fit in the main compartment, since it will be too wide towards the top of the bag. However, the Synik 30 will be able to fit the 15A Cache in its main compartment without any trouble.
    Last edited by yugo; 08-14-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by improvised View Post
    Not this time! I usually avoid black or blue bags but the more I thought about parapack the more I realized that was what I really wanted.
    When the information page went online I was almost settled on the Parapack, but the longer I thought about it, the more I was looking at colors instead. In the end, I decided I really wanted the Iberian inner color, so my options were Nebulous Grey vs Deep Blue for the outer color (where the Deep Blue won because my A45 is Steel and I don't want them to look too similar.)
    Last edited by mkasu; 08-14-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    UPDATE: In Chase Reeves' review of the Synik, he carries his 15" MacBook Pro in the mesh compartment of the Synik 22. Chase says at 18 minutes 30 seconds in:

So a 15" laptop on the smaller end (MacBook Pro) that is naked (no sleeve or cache) sounds like it can fit into the main compartment of the Synik 22.

Original post:
    I asked Tom Bihn's support if a 15" Cache can fit inside the main compartment of a Synik 22, in the hopes that even if a 15" laptop would not fit in the built-in compartment, it could still be carried, but the answer is no:
    Keep in mind that he also mentioned how much it stressed the bag/zippers.
    If you pack a laptop that exceeds what TB has stated will fit, you may void the warranty.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone actually done some hiking with any Bihn bags that aren't the Guide's Pack? That one was specifically designed for it, after all.

I know these are comfortable for wearing around but what about a 10-mile (loop or out-and-back) day hike in, say, Yellowstone? I've recently realized I need to replace my Deuter Groden and while I love these packs (and the design) I'm wary of treating them like true hiking packs.

I love all my Bihn bags but despite that I've always used Osprey, Kelty, and Deuter for packs that I'll be taking on long hikes. Still very tempted, however. Do these compete or is it more of a ... "they can be used for hiking but as they aren't designed for it they aren't as good as bags that are" type thing?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen any independent reports about hiking with it, but this is on the FAQs page:

"Does the Synik work as a day-hiking pack?

Sure. We actually carried the Synik on many day hikes (long and short, ranging from 2 miles to 12 miles) to test out the Edgeless shoulder straps and its waist belt/optional padded hip belt attachment points (we eventually lowered them).

We generally prefer using packs without a full clamshell opening for hiking because it’s not unusual for us to find ourselves stopped on a narrow part of a trail to open our packs — and we don’t want all of our stuff falling out of a clamshell opening.

That said, because the Synik has Aquaguard zippers, its clamshell won’t, in our experience, fully open by itself — so, we can unzip its main compartment half way and it’ll stay that way."

The Synik weighs 3 lbs, compared to the 2 lbs or less of framed packs from specialty brands (e.g., Hyperlite, Gossamer Gear, Zpacks, etc.). And you can save even more weight (and stuff it in another bag) by going frameless. I just bought a 1 lb frameless pack from Mountain Laurel Designs. It is made with DCF (as are Hyperlite), which is basically waterproof (except for the pinholes made by the sewing), which makes it pretty pricey. For total loads under 18 lbs, frameless is popular with certain serious backpackers, which I'm not, but I decided to try out for an overnight hike during an upcoming trip (since the Synik won't ship in time).

I've previously used both 30 and 40 liter versions of the Gregory Zulu pack, which has a very well ventilated trampoline style frame, great straps and robust hip pads, and weighs about 3 lbs. The Osprey Exos is similar and weighs even less (and gets good reviews for comfort, etc.). The other advantage to purpose made backpacking packs is the more precise fitting in respect to torso length.
    Last edited by ayazgood; 08-15-2019 at 05:30 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BowTrek View Post
    Has anyone actually done some hiking with any Bihn bags that aren't the Guide's Pack? That one was specifically designed for it, after all.

I know these are comfortable for wearing around but what about a 10-mile (loop or out-and-back) day hike in, say, Yellowstone? I've recently realized I need to replace my Deuter Groden and while I love these packs (and the design) I'm wary of treating them like true hiking packs.

I love all my Bihn bags but despite that I've always used Osprey, Kelty, and Deuter for packs that I'll be taking on long hikes. Still very tempted, however. Do these compete or is it more of a ... "they can be used for hiking but as they aren't designed for it they aren't as good as bags that are" type thing?

Thanks!
    The Synapse 19 was originally designed for day hiking.... and they eventually made the 25L since folks were clamoring for more volume.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    the best aswer I could give: try it Wink
    it is actually depends on person, on how heavy is the load they carry, how they feel about it, I use a synapse for hiking, but some will find it not efficient enough (sweat, frame, or whatever), bags like synapse they are technically efficient enough, but some backpack are more (like specialized ones), I think it just depends on how you feel with them
    just a Bihnion here

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MvT...65880782935931

The Tom Bihn staff replied to my comment, stating there will be a Guide's Edition Synik in 2020!!!!!

I kept that to myself for all of 6 minutes...

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    @BowTrek, I have done some day hiking with Bihn packs, for example when I did some spontaneous hikes in the Shenandoahs in Virginia, and I only had my Daylight backpack with me. Or I have tried other bags in a pinch. Since I normally use a water bladder when hiking, my first preference is a bag from a hiking specific manufacturer that includes a sleeve for that, but that said, they worked fine when I used them. Perhaps because I already had a fair amount of hiking and backpacking packs when I discovered TB, I do not tend to purpose my TB bags for hiking, as I would prefer to use them in a more urban manner and not sweat all over them. Instead I let my Osprey or Deuter or ULA or other outdoorsy packs get all dirty, and I reserve my TB backpacks for all other life adventures.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Since I normally use a water bladder when hiking, my first preference is a bag from a hiking specific manufacturer that includes a sleeve for that, but that said, they worked fine when I used them.
    This is my reservation with using Tom Bihn bags for hiking -- they don't seem to specialty accommodate a CamelBak water bladder. I find having that drinkable straw readily accessible without having to remove my backpack very useful during hiking. I'm guessing that this is a philosophical difference with Tom Bihn bags, in that they prefer the water bottle storage pocket over designing for a water bladder?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    This is my reservation with using Tom Bihn bags for hiking -- they don't seem to specialty accommodate a CamelBak water bladder. I find having that drinkable straw readily accessible without having to remove my backpack very useful during hiking. I'm guessing that this is a philosophical difference with Tom Bihn bags, in that they prefer the water bottle storage pocket over designing for a water bladder?
    You put the water bladder in either the main compartment or the elastic pocket inside the main compartment...run the hose out the top of the bag (slightly unzipped) and there's a hose clip on the straps.... Check out the photos on the Synapse pages

Not the same as a completely dedicated system, but there are plenty of those already out there if that's what you prefer.

NC, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my pre-order in this morning for a Synik 22 and am very excited about it. I plan to use it for my under the seat personal item on flights and then as my carry bag while traveling. I do have 2 questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. Will the luggage pass through on the Synik 22 fit over the handle of a Travelpro Crew 10 21" Spinner? I looked and could not find the width of the carry handle online and I don't have it handy to measure. It does flair out a bit at the top which is my main reason for concern. If that can't be answered specifically, what is the max width of a luggage handle that will work? With that info, I can measure my Travelpro when I can get to it.

2. What is the max height of a water bottle that will fit in the center pocket of the Synik 22 while still being able to close the zipper? I have a couple of different bottles I use that vary in height and I'm just trying to determine which ones I'll be able to use without them sticking out the top.

Thanks to the mods for such a great forum. I love TB quality, but also that they engage with their customers so much and listen to their feedback.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    I have a Synapse that I use as my daily carry (back and forth to work), but I have a Smart Alec that will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands that I use for hiking / everything else. I personally am not a big fan of the frame on the Synapse, and when you take it out and stuff it full, the Synapse starts to take on an "egg shape" that feels awkward. If you want an awesome day hiking back, I'd suggest a Guide's pack or a used Smart Alec over the Synapse / Synik personally... Also, I have a mental aversion to putting water bottles inside a pack if at all possible, because approximately 99.99% of waterbottles I have ever used hate me, and leak or sweat and get the stuff they touch soaked as well. With the Smart Alec, I have the "Lower Module Pocket" that perfectly fits a couple of nice big water bottles, and has the added benefit of making that pack stand up all super stable on it's bottom when I want to put it down and dig into it. I love my synapse, but it's always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine that it's just not going to stay "upright" when I put it down. I always end up putting it down on it's back pad, which makes me kind of sad, because I'd like to keep that nice mesh all clean and happy.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You put the water bladder in either the main compartment or the elastic pocket inside the main compartment...run the hose out the top of the bag (slightly unzipped) and there's a hose clip on the straps.... Check out the photos on the Synapse pages

Not the same as a completely dedicated system, but there are plenty of those already out there if that's what you prefer.
    Here's a photo from a little while back that illustrates @G42's good point:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...html#post74871

So it is totally workable, and I have tried it, even if it is not always my preferred solution to have the tube running out the top of the pack. This probably works the most neatly (when I have tried it) in the Daylight backpack because it does have a sleeve on the back panel, unlike the Synapse.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 08-15-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    I got my pre-order in this morning for a Synik 22 and am very excited about it. I plan to use it for my under the seat personal item on flights and then as my carry bag while traveling. I do have 2 questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. Will the luggage pass through on the Synik 22 fit over the handle of a Travelpro Crew 10 21" Spinner? I looked and could not find the width of the carry handle online and I don't have it handy to measure. It does flair out a bit at the top which is my main reason for concern. If that can't be answered specifically, what is the max width of a luggage handle that will work? With that info, I can measure my Travelpro when I can get to it.

2. What is the max height of a water bottle that will fit in the center pocket of the Synik 22 while still being able to close the zipper? I have a couple of different bottles I use that vary in height and I'm just trying to determine which ones I'll be able to use without them sticking out the top.

Thanks to the mods for such a great forum. I love TB quality, but also that they engage with their customers so much and listen to their feedback.
    A Hydroflask 32oz Wide Mouth can fit but it takes some doing to get it in there.

An 18oz Yeti can fit as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast