Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MvT...65880782935931

The Tom Bihn staff replied to my comment, stating there will be a Guide's Edition Synik in 2020!!!!!

I kept that to myself for all of 6 minutes...
    Nice! What (if any) do you the differences will be? Apart from the coloring with coyote trim?

Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous question about using it as a hiking pack. After reading them I think I've decided to stick to 'true' hiking packs for now and just get a new Deuter. For hiking at present I have a Talon 11, Deuter Groden 32, and Kelty Redwing 50 as my primary go-to bags. I also have a Kelty 40L that... well, let's say that in my opinion the quality on Kelty bags has gone down signficantly since I bought the 50L.

I think for now I'll stick to the half a dozen Bihn bags I already have and love, hah!

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BowTrek View Post
    Nice! What (if any) do you the differences will be? Apart from the coloring with coyote trim?
    [...]
    I guess, more or less like this one => https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=92872343559
    but with Synik changes
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since D'Arcy said they were waiting to receive Coyote in 525 ballistic, I had the impression they intended to do a full on coyote version, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    Since D'Arcy said they were waiting to receive Coyote in 525 ballistic, I had the impression they intended to do a full on coyote version, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    I do remember she said so
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone actually done some hiking with any Bihn bags that aren't the Guide's Pack?
    Only with the DLBP and I love it. The super light weight is phenomenal on day hikes, but I plan to try out my preordered S22 on day hikes asap. With the Daylight, I have to be sure to wear a shirt (no tanks) that will cover my shoulders where the straps will be because they're not padded. They don't rub unless I'm sweaty, but I'm always sweaty when I hike. (Excuse me, NOT sweaty. In the South, we ladies *perspire.*) And I've got one of the older fabrics that can be kinda scratchy but it's crazy durable. I don't use a water bladder, so that's something to consider.

However full disclosure: If I'm doing more than 8-10 miles, I'll carry a different pack with better straps and more internal framing support. I'm hoping the S22 will solve those issues. I don't baby my bags at all, and I'm 4 years into the DLBP and it's good as new.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    What is the max height of a water bottle that will fit in the center pocket of the Synik 22 while still being able to close the zipper? I have a couple of different bottles I use that vary in height and I'm just trying to determine which ones I'll be able to use without them sticking out the top.
    I'm also interested in this. I haven't seen my brand of water bottles (Klean Kanteen uninsulated 800ml/27oz) mentioned, and a height measurement would help me way more than brand/ounces. My waterbottles are fairly thin so I'm not too concerned about the width displacement of the pocket.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    (Excuse me, NOT sweaty. In the South, we ladies *perspire.*)
    I always heard it from my Virginia relatives as "Horses sweat, men perspire, and ladies glow" (or glisten, in some versions). I wonder what nonbinary folks do? I can certainly "glow" buckets when visiting my relatives there!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone actually done some hiking with any Bihn bags that aren't the Guide's Pack? That one was specifically designed for it, after all.

I know these are comfortable for wearing around but what about a 10-mile (loop or out-and-back) day hike in, say, Yellowstone? I've recently realized I need to replace my Deuter Groden and while I love these packs (and the design) I'm wary of treating them like true hiking packs.

I love all my Bihn bags but despite that I've always used Osprey, Kelty, and Deuter for packs that I'll be taking on long hikes. Still very tempted, however. Do these compete or is it more of a ... "they can be used for hiking but as they aren't designed for it they aren't as good as bags that are" type thing?
    (I typed this up yesterday, but never got around to posting it! @BowTrek I know you've made your call on this and it makes sense to me. I wanted to post this anyway just in case someone else is wondering the same thing.)

I hike with the Guide's Pack, Synapse, Daylight Backpack, and Hero's Journey on hikes ranging from 3 miles to 20 miles. I do a fair amount of cross-country hiking and am not that careful with my bags when I'm climbing under brush or downed trees and scraping them. There's maybe a scratch here or there that I mostly don't even notice, but I've never had an issue beyond that.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, though, because I may be a bit of a weirdo. I love our bags, but I'd also be happy hiking with one of the vintage packs that Tom has (and I have, for bag testing experience!) that have few of the modern features. I hike nearly exclusively in lightweight hiking sandals in the late spring/summer/fall and carry more weight than some would think is reasonable: I drink a lot of water, so I pack a lot (esp. on hikes where I won't be able to filter), plus I'll take some tea or iced tea and maybe lunch and dinner, or one of the two. And I'm usually hiking with dogs, so I carry water and stuff for them as well. I can find people who would advise me not to hike long distances or in difficult terrain in sandals, or inform me that I must carry less weight, or that I could replace my burrito and salad in a container with some lightweight bars, and they'd be totally right: in their experience, that's solid advice because it's what works for them. I've found, through trial and error and some occasional discomfort of the character-and-experience building type what works for me.

So that's all to say: my recommendation would be to try a local hike with your TB pack before that Yellowstone trip. Does it feel good? Did you forget you were wearing it? Is it the pack you know, and you know it can be with you in the city and in the backcountry and thatís meaningful? Then it's the right choice. Did you wish it had a back panel that was suspended away from your back to reduce heat? Does it just feel more right to be hiking with an Osprey or similar? Then that's the right choice.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great response Darcy! Thank you so much. I love this company and how great responses always are. <3

For reference I just finished hiking the West Highland Way in Scotland this summer (over 8 days - I was slow). I carried a 40L Kelty with tent, sleeping bag, etc. No cooking equipment though, as that particular trails goes near enough to towns that I could stop in somewhere once a day. Yellowstone was two years ago but I do want to go back soon.

The thing is... I have a Kelty Redwing 50L (great condition!), a Kelty Redwing 40 (now torn up, b/c apparently their quality has plummeted in the last 15 years), a Deuter Groden 32, an Osprey Talon 11, a Patagonia 8L, a Hydration Vest by Osprety, and... uh, a larger Osprey somewhere that's ripped up. Those are my backpacks.

None of my Tom Bihn bags are backpacks though, that's why I can't go test it. And I'm wary of tossing out ~300 on a Synik to replace the Groden without having tried hiking with any of your options before. I have two Pilots, a Co-Pilot, a Medium Cafe Bag, a Side Effect (?), and for a while I had a Maker's Bag. I've hiked with the Co-Pilot because it was an unexpected hike and I happened to have that one with me. It did great - but it's clearly not a standard hiking pack.

I've got 100% confidence that the 1050 Ballistic would hold up to anything I've done and more. I'm reasonably sure your 525 Ballistic and Parapack would do more than fine. I've managed to tear up Halcyon before, but then I was not... uh, yeah, that's on me, not on y'all or the material. I've just never worn one of your backpacks... but hey, next summer I'll probably be in Seattle!

Thanks again, much appreciated. Loved the actual experience you were able to share.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking at getting a TB backpack for awhile now, and despite the Synapses piquing my interest, there was just always something about them that kept me from pulling the trigger. However, the debut of the Synik has me back rethinking some of those reservations.

The ultimate goal is to be able to use the Synik as my one bag travel pack for a month-long international trek next summer, and outside of that to use it for shorter trips, as a personal carry-on item, or as just an EDC bag.

Given the price bump for the Syniks, however, I need to do more research before investing that much cash into it, so I have several questions I hope someone can answer for me:

1. First off, being a short person, should I go with the Synik 22L or the 30L?
    a.) I am just 5'5" (165cm), and all the photos of the larger 25/30L Syn bags seem to be massive on anyone <5'10" ft in height, so I am concerned not only about the look of it on someone of my frame, but also whether I'd physically be able to carry the larger bag comfortably?
    b.) Also, in general, is there a good rule of thumb in terms of how much clothes a beginner would need to safely one bag for an extended amount of time? I feel like if I plan accordingly with the right type of clothes [that I can wear for multiple days at a time and/or wash/dry effectively], that'll take care of most of my space concerns.

2. Where is most of the volume of the Synik contained: the front organization pockets or the "main" back compartment?
    a.) Looking at the dimensions of the on the site, it seems like the only change from the Synapse is in the depth of the bag, but in the 22L, for example, it gives a depth range of 7.1-9.4in, which I don't really understand. Does that mean the whole bag's depth is 9.4in and the main compartment is 7.1in or does that mean the whole bag is just 7.1in in depth when empty but the fabric is able to stretch up to 9.4in?
    b.) For reference, I currently use a Cotopaxi Boma 13L daypack (dimensions: 16 x10.5 x6.5in) for extended weekend trips. I use a medium-sized packing cube (dimensions: 13.7 x 9.8 x 4in) that takes up just about the entire single compartment, but I can usually fit about 3-4 sets of T-shirts/underwear, a pair of pants, and a pair of sleepwear (usually another T-shirt and shorts) into it. I can also usually stuff a small rolled-up travel towel, a very small toiletry bag, and my iPad into what space remains in the bag, but by then it is completely stuffed.
    c.) Would a packing list like that fit into the main compartment in the 22L, and if it did, would the front pockets be too compressed to add anything else in them?

3. Is there much functional difference between the interior fabric choices in the Synik?
    a.) I would probably go with the Ballistic exterior just due to color options available, but I'm not sure whether or not to do get the Halcyon or Ballistic interior. All my other TB bags have a solid color Ballistic interior, and from a purely aesthetic point of view, I prefer that. However, I've read the Halcyon material (which I'm not really a big fan of the grid pattern) seems to have a bit more give/stretch and is just a little lighter, though that seems to mostly apply when the entire bag is made of the material. My question is since the exterior would be Ballistic, would there really be any noticeable benefit to getting a Halcyon interior?

4. Do you need to buy a rain cover for the Synik? To what extent of rain are the zippers/fabric generally able to withstand and still keep the stuff inside dry?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by daaarn; 08-17-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daaarn View Post
    a.) I am just 5'5" (165cm), and all the photos of the larger 25/30L Syn bags seem to be massive on anyone <5'10" ft in height, so I am concerned not only about the look of it on someone of my frame, but also whether I'd physically be able to carry the larger bag comfortably?

2. Where is most of the volume of the Synik contained: the front organization pockets or the "main" back compartment?
    a.) Looking at the dimensions of the on the site, it seems like the only change from the Synapse is in the depth of the bag, but in the 22L, for example, it gives a depth range of 7.1-9.4in, which I don't really understand. Does that mean the whole bag's depth is 9.4in and the main compartment is 7.1in or does that mean the whole bag is just 7.1in in depth when empty but the fabric is able to stretch up to 9.4in?
    b.) For reference, I currently use a Cotopaxi Boma 13L daypack (dimensions: 16 x10.5 x6.5in) for extended weekend trips. I use a medium-sized packing cube (dimensions: 13.7 x 9.8 x 4in) that takes up just about the entire single compartment, but I can usually fit about 3-4 sets of T-shirts/underwear, a pair of pants, and a pair of sleepwear (usually another T-shirt and shorts) into it. I can also usually stuff a small rolled-up travel towel, a very small toiletry bag, and my iPad into what space remains in the bag, but by then it is completely stuffed.
    c.) Would a packing list like that fit into the main compartment in the 22L, and if it did, would the front pockets be too compressed to add anything else in them?

3. Is there much functional difference between the interior fabric choices in the Synik?
    a.) I would probably go with the Ballistic exterior just due to color options available, but I'm not sure whether or not to do get the Halcyon or Ballistic interior. All my other TB bags have a solid color Ballistic interior, and from a purely aesthetic point of view, I prefer that. However, I've read the Halcyon material (which I'm not really a big fan of the grid pattern) seems to have a bit more give/stretch and is just a little lighter, though that seems to mostly apply when the entire bag is made of the material. My question is since the exterior would be Ballistic, would there really be any noticeable benefit to getting a Halcyon interior?

4. Do you need to buy a rain cover for the Synik? To what extent of rain are the zippers/fabric generally able to withstand and still keep the stuff inside dry?

For sizing, be sure to determine your torso length - that's more important that your height in determining how the bag will carry for you.
    Grab a friend & a measuring tape https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...sting-fit.html
    For instance, I am 5'4" and my torso is less than 20", so while I can physically carry a Synapse 25 and a Synik 30, the lower end of the bag hangs down too far on me to be comfortable for a long duration. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it's still constantly annoying vs I will forget I'm even carrying a S19 or S22 or a Smart Alec.
    Visually, how it looks is a personal issue.

For volume, most of the volume is in the main compartment, then the chin pocket, the side pockets, water bottle pocket, small front pocket... If you jam pack the main compartment, it makes using the space in the pockets harder. Your packing list sounds feasible, but the details of how you pack, the materials of your items, and exact sizes will determine how comfortable you find it. Be sure to check out all the reviews posted so far to see what other people packed - your best bet (cheapest if you're in the US) is to test pack the bags you're interested in
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

For fabric choice, check out the materials page https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    But generally, for interior, the 210d ballistic vs 200d halcyon is an aesthetic choice

Rain cover is dependent on what you're doing...I've used my bags in light showers with no issues, the water beads up and rolls off, most bags (check the product pages) have water resistant zippers... none of the bags are officially waterproof but they have a high level of water resistance

HTH
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone actually done some hiking with any Bihn bags that aren't the Guide's Pack? That one was specifically designed for it, after all.

I know these are comfortable for wearing around but what about a 10-mile (loop or out-and-back) day hike in, say, Yellowstone? I've recently realized I need to replace my Deuter Groden and while I love these packs (and the design) I'm wary of treating them like true hiking packs.

I love all my Bihn bags but despite that I've always used Osprey, Kelty, and Deuter for packs that I'll be taking on long hikes. Still very tempted, however. Do these compete or is it more of a ... "they can be used for hiking but as they aren't designed for it they aren't as good as bags that are" type thing?

Thanks!
    First I might add this: I do not (yet) own a Tom Bihn bag - although I eagerly await my Syink 22..
    That being said, hiking, alpine hikes (higher up altitudes), light mountaineering and some climbing are amongst my passions and have been for a long while... and I happen to love backpacks ...

I think whenever anyone asks "can you hike with Pack X or Y or Z..." the question should not be can you hike/climb / Etc with a specific pack, but rather the following aspects should be considered:

- Distance, Terrain, Difficulty & Climate: These factors will determine the type of gear you'll need...
    so say you pack 15kg of gear because oyu need rope, harness, cramp-ons, camalots/friends, quickdraws, climbing shoes, food, drink... - well this is slightly different from needing "only" water, food and basic hot weather clothing...
    Whatever it is you're doing - a realistic gear list, also in regards to amount of water needed, food, etc - will help to essentially rule out certain packs.

for basic hiking, say, 10-25 km (6-15 miles), in moderate climate, without any specific gear for ice / glaciers etc... you can get away with suprisingly little.
    I usually as a bare minumum of kit pack:
    - light wind/rain jacket & trousers (if there's a chance of the weather turning bad)

- spare t-shirt and one set of socks/underwar in a vacuum bag (really compact & WATERPROOF ... so in case you get really drenched, you'll at least have dry underwear to change into)

- Very basic first aid kit & sunscreen

- IF I need to navigate with my smartphone (I use Locus btw) I make sure to take a good ext. battery pack... just in case, and a paper print out of the map....

- Water ... well you know how much you drink and need, but for a good day's hike I like a good 3L (0,8Gallon) and I often take a UV-Sterilized or at the VERY LEAST some micropur water cleaning tablets along (these usually residfe in my first aid kit)... this way I can - if accessible replenish my water from a stream or such.
    Water I usually prefer to carry the major load of it in a bladder... I've got a 2l bladder and I often take a 1L camelbak bottle or a nalgene bottle as well.

- Food ... I can get away with quite a little amount over a healthy 6-10 hour hike... I take a good amount of dried fruits (like dried banana, dates, figs...) & some nuts, a few carrots, two or three "power bars" ... and that's usually it.... if I do strenous stuff I often take one of these sports energy Gels... loved by distance runners, bicyclists, etc (I do hate the taste usually, but it's fast energy for when you feel your body is down to it's last bit)...)
    If I do longer stuff I sometimes take a very very portable gas cooker and a small "mug" to heat up some dried soup or pasta... but that's more like it when I'm trekking more than a day.... for usual hikes the above is what gets me through a good day easily.

If I need trekking poles - I can choose between some relly lightweigh segmented compact carbon ones and a bit stiffer beefier ones for tougher terrain.... the first ones are so comapct you can usually fit them INTO the pack, the latter need ext. mouting points.

Now this determines a couple things I like a bag to do:
    - Waterbladder compatible
    - ext. mounting points for trekking poles if needed
    - lightweight - I don't want to add needless weight to my kit
    - 16-25lt depedning on climate & clothes ....
    - comfortable harness and on my Hiking packs especially if I'm approaching more difficult terrain: good hip-belt and preferrably & ventilated back.

the latter: ventilated back: well you'll sweat... but having Some decent ventilation will allow your back to dry quicker when you're not working out

I've hiked with extremely minimal packs such as an exped cloudburst 15 - which essentially is a flimsy waterproof rolltop bag with thin shoulderstraps and no back-system whatsoever.
    doesn't work well with a water bladder, but if I'm not going far, or know I can replenish water from different sources along the way, it works... comfortable? sort of ... it's ultra light weight and if you pack it "cleverly" it can be ok... great? nope...

I usually prefer my Ortovox Traverse 20 - for anything that doesn't involve mountaineering / Climbing equipment (for that it's too small usually).
    I've travelled a good bit with it - but mainly it's my hiking, light alpine pack. Low weight, excellent suspension system for it's size, waterbladder compatible, great hip-belt, good organisation, easy access, ext. attachment points for anything like hiking poles, ice axes, snow shoes (yup I use it often for winter snow shoeing, and it works like a treat)... helmet holder comes included which is great for when you want a rock helmet or when you go bicycle touring with it.
    and as a bonus: integrated rain cover.
    Frankly it's the best "do it all" sports pack I've bought and have in my (extensive) collection of bags.
    it's also not super expensive (albeit not cheap either) - so scratching and tearing it up isn't as painful.

But again, as long as you don't need to attach stuff externally to the pack (like hiking poles etc.) (or at least without modifying the pack) - then the synapse / Synik would make pretty great hiking packs.
    the layout offers enough organisation to say store dry clothes, rain gear, your first aid kit, snacks with a good and easy access in mind.
    there's a few things it doesn't do dedicately: water bladder... sure it's not a big deal to stuff it in the main compatment and use the O-rings to hang it and route the hose through the zippers... so yes, it's "compatible" but it's not a dedicated system for that....
    I think for myself - the biggest drawback on using a Synapse or Synik for cross country hiking etc would be the lack of ext mounting points to quickly attach the hiking poles or say quickly stuff a jacket under a compression strap. Also the lack of a really integrated harness hip belt is a bit of a downside.
    with the harness/hip strap you can argue though, that with low gear loads, it's not important... but I find on tough terrain it adds stability to your load and on long hikes it can be used to take weight of your shoulders...

I think - and that's the reason I ordered a Synik (and previously was interested in buying the synapse) - that the synik / Synapse are once of the most clever travel/edc/do-it-all jack of all trades bags out there.
    You can I think make it work for almost anything... there's the thing thogh - it's NOT a "dedicated, sports oriented alpine/hiking pack"....
    Same reason and logic can be applied in reverse, my beloved Ortovox Traverse 20 isn't a dedicated EDC / Travel backpack... can it work as such? Sure... is it perfect at it? nope. There's no laptop sleeve... there's no way to remove the excellent hip-belt from the suspension system (I don't care when hiking, but daily & travelling: I was so close of taking a scissor and removing it once and for all). Style, well it says hiking, alpinis, etc... it clearly looks a tad out of place in the middle of a city ... also the zippers are nowhere near as beefy as the No10 / 8 Tom Bihn Acquaguard things...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daaarn View Post
    Been looking at getting a TB backpack for awhile now, and despite the Synapses piquing my interest, there was just always something about them that kept me from pulling the trigger. However, the debut of the Synik has me back rethinking some of those reservations.

The ultimate goal is to be able to use the Synik as my one bag travel pack for a month-long international trek next summer, and outside of that to use it for shorter trips, as a personal carry-on item, or as just an EDC bag.

Given the price bump for the Syniks, however, I need to do more research before investing that much cash into it, so I have several questions I hope someone can answer for me:

b.) Also, in general, is there a good rule of thumb in terms of how much clothes a beginner would need to safely one bag for an extended amount of time? I feel like if I plan accordingly with the right type of clothes [that I can wear for multiple days at a time and/or wash/dry effectively], that'll take care of most of my space concerns.

Thanks in advance!
    Size question on Synik... I was in quite a similar dillemma over the size.

I went with the 22...

I'm 5'9"... I guess I could easily go with the 30 - just from it's "frame size" .... but here's the thing.
    my average packs for both travel and EDC so far have been between 20 and 25... it's been years since I've used a 30 or more litre pack for TRAVEL ....
    I had settled on buying a SYNAPSE 25 - "minutes" before finding out about the Synik... and frankly, the synik offered the few things I wished the Synapse would have offered, so naturally I didn't order the synapse
    but with it came the downside of being available in 22 and 30.
    I was actually really close to purchase the 30... but then sort of figured that for 95% of the situations I'd be using it: EDC, travel (1day - few months) - 30 litres is just too big for my personal taste.
    Again I wished sort of they kept the 25ltr / 19 ltr size choice from the synapse - that would have made my decision easy

I settled on the 22 - I know I can work my kit to fit in there easily even with a tad of room to spare.
    Laptop: the largest I've owned was a 13" - and these days I either use my main computer (12" surface pro 6) or my 10" ... and perhaps will get an ipad pro 11".
    All of these fit the Synik... and I have zero need and desire to get a larger laptop for my needs.

Fabric choices: I went with the ballistic exterior for one simple reason: it's the most durable.
    (also I wanted it black) ... Sure I don't doubt that Halcyon (Exterior) isn't durable - but from Tom Bihns own website showing the Taber-Test - the ballistic is the one that is the most abrasion resistant... and I like my EDC/Travel stuff to be sturdy... (I sometimes am a bit rough on my gear).

Rain cover:
    From all bags I've used, I can offer you this advice: unless it's a welded, fully seam sealed, roll top bag or features YKK's famous T-ZIP Zipper, it's not waterproof.
    I think tom bihn actually walks the extra mile and adds beefy Aquaguard Zippers which are from my experience superior at keeping rain out.
    But eventually, say torrential monsoon, any "normal" backpack will get some leaks.. I have forever carried a small exped raincover in all of my travel packs (unless again, the thing was waterproof).... saved the gear a few times.
    but here's another thing: I have a very slim roll-top seam sealed bag that fits my laptop... it's really slim and non padded, folds down to nothing... but when I know I'm in torrential weather... I put the laptop in this bag and I know I could actually take a swim.
    Same goes for passport: I've got a waterproof zip-lock bag made of clear plastics, passport sized. the passport / document sit in this all the time,.... exactly the same thing slightly larger is used for my battery pack. and a few meds etc from my first aid kit are also in of these zip lock bags.
    last but not least, the similar thin roll top waterproof bag I use for the laptop I also use to compress and store a set of underwear and lightweigh shorts whenever I travel in really wet climate like SE-ASia during a monsoon... happens what will, at least some dry clothes, and my important documents and electronics can literally take a bath in a river if it happens... (like that one time the small boat decided to sink almost a mile from the shore... yup.).
    The rain cover rarely slips over the pack - it's something I rarely use because as mentioned above my important kit is water-protected inside the bag. but still it can help to keep the rest perfectly dry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    For sizing, be sure to determine your torso length - that's more important that your height in determining how the bag will carry for you.
    Grab a friend & a measuring tape https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...sting-fit.html
    For instance, I am 5'4" and my torso is less than 20", so while I can physically carry a Synapse 25 and a Synik 30, the lower end of the bag hangs down too far on me to be comfortable for a long duration. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it's still constantly annoying vs I will forget I'm even carrying a S19 or S22 or a Smart Alec.
    Visually, how it looks is a personal issue.

For volume, most of the volume is in the main compartment, then the chin pocket, the side pockets, water bottle pocket, small front pocket... If you jam pack the main compartment, it makes using the space in the pockets harder. Your packing list sounds feasible, but the details of how you pack, the materials of your items, and exact sizes will determine how comfortable you find it. Be sure to check out all the reviews posted so far to see what other people packed - your best bet (cheapest if you're in the US) is to test pack the bags you're interested in
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

For fabric choice, check out the materials page https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials
    But generally, for interior, the 210d ballistic vs 200d halcyon is an aesthetic choice

Rain cover is dependent on what you're doing...I've used my bags in light showers with no issues, the water beads up and rolls off, most bags (check the product pages) have water resistant zippers... none of the bags are officially waterproof but they have a high level of water resistance

HTH
    Thanks, that torso length guide will help. I'm probably gonna measure out to the SN22 since it's about the size of my current daypack which fits me well [maybe just a tad short in some instances when I cinch it high on my back]. Just gotta find my tape measure somewhere haha.

I can't wait for more reviews to eventually come out. I'd love to see a packing review that compares how the same amount of cargo in the SN22 fits in the SN30. I feel like that would give me the most useful information about how the volumes are different. I recall reading one review somewhere that said the main compartment in the SN30 seemed to allow packing of a full pair of shoes in the main compartment in addition to what could be packed in the SN22. Not sure how true that is, but it does allow me to formulate how much extra space I would potentially be gaining/losing depending on what size bag I eventually got.

Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    Size question on Synik... I was in quite a similar dillemma over the size.

I went with the 22...

I'm 5'9"... I guess I could easily go with the 30 - just from it's "frame size" .... but here's the thing.
    my average packs for both travel and EDC so far have been between 20 and 25... it's been years since I've used a 30 or more litre pack for TRAVEL ....
    I had settled on buying a SYNAPSE 25 - "minutes" before finding out about the Synik... and frankly, the synik offered the few things I wished the Synapse would have offered, so naturally I didn't order the synapse
    but with it came the downside of being available in 22 and 30.
    I was actually really close to purchase the 30... but then sort of figured that for 95% of the situations I'd be using it: EDC, travel (1day - few months) - 30 litres is just too big for my personal taste.
    Again I wished sort of they kept the 25ltr / 19 ltr size choice from the synapse - that would have made my decision easy

I settled on the 22 - I know I can work my kit to fit in there easily even with a tad of room to spare.
    Laptop: the largest I've owned was a 13" - and these days I either use my main computer (12" surface pro 6) or my 10" ... and perhaps will get an ipad pro 11".
    All of these fit the Synik... and I have zero need and desire to get a larger laptop for my needs.

Fabric choices: I went with the ballistic exterior for one simple reason: it's the most durable.
    (also I wanted it black) ... Sure I don't doubt that Halcyon (Exterior) isn't durable - but from Tom Bihns own website showing the Taber-Test - the ballistic is the one that is the most abrasion resistant... and I like my EDC/Travel stuff to be sturdy... (I sometimes am a bit rough on my gear).

Rain cover:
    From all bags I've used, I can offer you this advice: unless it's a welded, fully seam sealed, roll top bag or features YKK's famous T-ZIP Zipper, it's not waterproof.
    I think tom bihn actually walks the extra mile and adds beefy Aquaguard Zippers which are from my experience superior at keeping rain out.
    But eventually, say torrential monsoon, any "normal" backpack will get some leaks.. I have forever carried a small exped raincover in all of my travel packs (unless again, the thing was waterproof).... saved the gear a few times.
    but here's another thing: I have a very slim roll-top seam sealed bag that fits my laptop... it's really slim and non padded, folds down to nothing... but when I know I'm in torrential weather... I put the laptop in this bag and I know I could actually take a swim.
    Same goes for passport: I've got a waterproof zip-lock bag made of clear plastics, passport sized. the passport / document sit in this all the time,.... exactly the same thing slightly larger is used for my battery pack. and a few meds etc from my first aid kit are also in of these zip lock bags.
    last but not least, the similar thin roll top waterproof bag I use for the laptop I also use to compress and store a set of underwear and lightweigh shorts whenever I travel in really wet climate like SE-ASia during a monsoon... happens what will, at least some dry clothes, and my important documents and electronics can literally take a bath in a river if it happens... (like that one time the small boat decided to sink almost a mile from the shore... yup.).
    The rain cover rarely slips over the pack - it's something I rarely use because as mentioned above my important kit is water-protected inside the bag. but still it can help to keep the rest perfectly dry.
    Thanks for your input. I kinda have the same thought process as far as which bag to buy. Despite my ultimate goal of using this to one bag for about 4-6 weeks, the vast majority of the time I'll be using this just for EDC, and 30L is way too big for that. As an alternative to 30L, I'm considering packing a collapsible/stowawble auxiliary duffle bag to use just in case I end up accumulating too much stuff while traveling. Also, thinking about it now, the carry-on wheelie bag I have is probably around 30-35L [can't seem to find any specs on it anywhere, even on the manufacturer's website] and as nice as it is to have that much space, I definitely find myself packing to fill it most of the time, even when I probably don't need to.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second Synik pre-order has sold out, and now @Countron has some work to do: it'll randomly choose people to receive PPB bags. We expect to email the folks chosen by Thursday of this week, and the PPB bags will ship next week on the 27th/28th/29th.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast