Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the synik30, it says the depth can vary from 8-10.8 inches, what does this exactly mean? im currently looking at this and the topo core pack, with the latter winning mainly due to looks and price, but also my worry that the synik30 would be just too large for an edc/flight personal item/travel daypack. im also 6'2 if that helps with sizing

anyone have experience or comments that could bring me to the tom bihn side of the fence?
    Last edited by arjunsw; 09-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n2 View Post
    Would a Synik 22 packed moderately full fit into Ryanair personal item sizer? It's 40x20x25 cm, while the Synik dimensions stated on the page are 49x24x29 cm.
    edit: I think there's a mistake in the Synik page: it states that the height is 16", that's 40.5 cm, but then it converts that to 49 cm.
    No, but the turn round time for Ryanair between the plane coming in and flying out again is so short that they don't have time to check any bags that are borderline. Only people blatantly taking the P get pulled over by the gate agents.
    Buy a dark colour and don't overstuff it or it won't fit under the seat - 9 inches is about the max height underseat for a 737.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arjunsw View Post
    on the synik30, it says the depth can vary from 8-10.8 inches, what does this exactly mean? im currently looking at this and the topo core pack, with the latter winning mainly due to looks and price, but also my worry that the synik30 would be just too large for an edc/flight personal item/travel daypack. im also 6'2 if that helps with sizing

anyone have experience or comments that could bring me to the tom bihn side of the fence?
    It means that if you pack it moderately it will be about 8 inches thick, if full it will be nearer 11 inches.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arjunsw View Post

I'm 6'0 and have been using my recently received synik30 the past two days as my edc. I carry it mostly empty except for my mac pro 15. I don't find it too big in the slightest and i very much like the side access zipper for the laptop compartment. I pulled out my tristar large packing cube and filled that with a bunch of clothes and it fit into the main compartment easily. It also didn't look all too different in the mirror on my back just slightly thicker. I had been using an Id for the past bunch of years but wanted a backpack style rather than a messenger bag style. I'm quite happy with it and i forsee it replacing my tristar on weekend trips.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the optimal packing cube width to match the width of the interior of the main compartment of the Synik 30? It's a little tricky because the width of the compartment can vary, I think, depending on how full it it is (narrower when full, wider when lightly packed), but I'm hoping you can point me to the right Tom Bihn cubes for the Synik 30.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billthecat View Post
    What is the optimal packing cube width to match the width of the interior of the main compartment of the Synik 30? It's a little tricky because the width of the compartment can vary, I think, depending on how full it it is (narrower when full, wider when lightly packed), but I'm hoping you can point me to the right Tom Bihn cubes for the Synik 30.
    @billthecat, have you seen the Synik FAQ? It lists combinations of TB packing cubes that work well for each size of Synik.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    @billthecat, have you seen the Synik FAQ? It lists combinations of TB packing cubes that work well for each size of Synik.
    OK, found it.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's a long shot, and the dimensions say no, but I'm hoping the S25 FS will squeeze into an S22. Any chance someone out there can make my day and tell me that it's possible?

P.S. I know the S19 FS will fit, but I don't like that one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I have ordered a Synik 22. I have a 13" Surface laptop. Its dimensions are: 12.13" x 8.79" x 0.57". On the Synik 22 page it states that the maximum device dimensions for the laptop compartment are: 12.35" x 8.65" x .75". So there might be a problem with width. Are the max dimensions to be taken to the letter? Is there anyone out there with a Synik 22 and a surface laptop? Does it fit? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos_H View Post
    Hello. I have ordered a Synik 22. I have a 13" Surface laptop. Its dimensions are: 12.13" x 8.79" x 0.57". On the Synik 22 page it states that the maximum device dimensions for the laptop compartment are: 12.35" x 8.65" x .75". So there might be a problem with width. Are the max dimensions to be taken to the letter? Is there anyone out there with a Synik 22 and a surface laptop? Does it fit? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I don’t have one but it could be that since your laptop isn’t using the max possible thickness (.57” vs .75”) that it’ll let you get some of that back as extra room in the width dimension.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    I know it's a long shot, and the dimensions say no, but I'm hoping the S25 FS will squeeze into an S22. Any chance someone out there can make my day and tell me that it's possible?

P.S. I know the S19 FS will fit, but I don't like that one.
    Sorry @Tonya,
    But the S25 Freudian Slip definitely doesn’t fit the Synik 22 — it looks like you’d have to lop 4 inches off the top to get it inside,

The Medium Cafe Bag FS would work — you’ve probably seen pictures of this with the Luminary (both L12 and L15) as well. But you won’t get the full height of the S22

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Sorry @Tonya,
    But the S25 Freudian Slip definitely doesn’t fit the Synik 22 — it looks like you’d have to lop 4 inches off the top to get it inside,

The Medium Cafe Bag FS would work — you’ve probably seen pictures of this with the Luminary (both L12 and L15) as well. But you won’t get the full height of the S22
    Big thanks for this... even if you destroyed my dreams. I didn't think it would work but you never know! I've got the Med Cafe FS and it's very nice, but I could really use the extra storage space that the larger FS offers. I know I've got plenty of exterior pockets on the S22 but I like to keep all of my sketching tools together in one place, and the S25 FS would work very nicely for that purpose.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone provide the actual width and height for the Synic 22 compression strap compartment? I use the Eagle Creek Pack-it Specter Garment Folders (Medium size). They're 17 x 12 in (43 x 30 cm). The Synic FAQ says it will fit a large Aeronaut Packing Cube, so I'm assuming the width is ok. It's the height I'm not sure about.

Thanks in advance.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-3804a842-fa7b-445a-96e5-7268c112b404-jpeg
    The Synik 22 just fits the small (15”) Eagle Creek folder. The added picture shows the S22 with the 15” Eagle Creek Packing Folder against the back of the laptop compartment. There is a Tri-Star Medium Packing with green Ibex merino jersey below, and a small Western Flyer Packing Cube with an A-line skirt above it. The solar and ultraviolet items to either side are (discontinued) tall yarn stuff sacks that fit perfectly in the Synik 22 with their attached snaphooks at exactly the right height to hook into the O-rings at the top corners. (This was part of a sequence shot to show Ravelry members how this fit with carrying knitting stuff sack projects

ETA: it’s length goes up to the top of the main compartment. If you use this and are packing it fairly cornersfull, then I recommend you consider using the Tri-Star medium packing cube, which is a good match to the height of the compartment but not as thick as the Aeronaut packing cubes. This gives you more flexibility in alternative packing strategy combinations, especially if your goal is not to simply turn your Synik to entirely suitcase like functions with maximum volume for clothing-like items in the packing cubes. For example, if you want to put items in the inside pocket opposite the laptop compartment, there’s more room to do this without having to underpack the packing cubes to get this to fit.
    Last edited by moriond; 09-16-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post
    Can anyone provide the actual width and height for the Synic 22 compression strap compartment? I use the Eagle Creek Pack-it Specter Garment Folders (Medium size). They're 17 x 12 in (43 x 30 cm). The Synic FAQ says it will fit a large Aeronaut Packing Cube, so I'm assuming the width is ok. It's the height I'm not sure about.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't have a Garment Folder but I do use other parts of the Eagle Creek system.

Here is my Synik 22 with the Large Specter Compression Cube, a pair of flips in a Specter Shoe Sac, an umbrella, and a small toiletry bag. I'm just coming home from a weekender today.

I'd say the main compartment is about as full as I'd really want it, although more can definitely be squeezed in.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast