Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Just watched the video and was wondering if you had considered making the shoulder straps detachable at the bottom end? It looks like you would then be able to tuck the straps down into the luggage pass through. I find stowable straps make sliding a bag under airplane seats much easier.
    This is a GREAT idea!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight of Synik in halcyon?

I saw on the video review that the weight of the ballistic is 3 pounds. In the black halcyon, what’s the weight? Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does the larger liter space on the new Syniks come from, and is it compromised by any of the new additions? I was first considering the Synapse 25, but heard the new Synik will be a 22L. Im still concerned if it will carry as much as the 19L, or the added 3 liters is fully useable and the Synik 22 will sit between the old Synapses in functionality too.
    Last edited by arjunsw; 07-24-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +2 on detachable storable straps - would definitely make me more inclined to buy it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Synik 30
    Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
    14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm
    Ah, that’s disappointing. I have the newish LG Gram 17 (slim 17” in a nearly 15” form factor) and it’s 15” x 10.5” x 0.7”. Less than an inch too large in L/W.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the novices such as myself: would 525 ballistic be a better choice or Parapack?

Would there be an anticipated price difference? To be honest, this would probably be the main factor for me: I'd likely opt for the cheaper one.

My main uses for the bag would be everyday use and every-so-often travel use, including but not limited to: work (laptop, documents, water bottles, electronics and cords), beach, baseball games, parks, thrown in to cars, and car trunks, and overhead airplane storage, and under plane seats, camping, etc.

Any input regarding material would be appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers

I had the opportunity to briefly try out a Synik 22 and took it on a work trip, and I wanted to post a couple of photos (with permission) in case they are helpful. One is shown under a narrow aisle seat, and the other is over my roll aboard handle on the metro. The bag easily fit under the seat without any struggle. I was amazed that 3 extra liters made it seem so much more spacious than a Synapse 19.

While I will leave the comprehensive reviews to the official testers, I will comment that I loved the new comfy shoulder straps. I also was happy that the design allows you to flip the straps over when you are using the pass through on a roll aboard, so they aren’t dangling awkwardly

Note: I brought a tall water bottle.

I will also admit that I really didn’t want to return it when it was time, and I miss it already! Smilie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-24-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I had the opportunity to briefly try out a Synik 22 and took it on a work trip, and I wanted to post a couple of photos (with permission) in case they are helpful. One is shown under a narrow aisle seat, and the other is over my roll aboard handle on the metro. The bag easily fit under the seat without any struggle. I was amazed that 3 extra liters made it seem so much more spacious than a Synapse 19.

While I will leave the comprehensive reviews to the official testers, I will comment that I loved the new comfy shoulder straps. I also was happy that the design allows you to flip the straps over when you are using the pass through on a roll aboard, so they aren’t dangling awkwardly

Note: I brought a tall water bottle.

I will also admit that I really didn’t want to return it when it was time, and I miss it already! Smilie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for the 22L photos! I'm quite envious you got to try it out. In the all spoken review they mentioned that the 30L was quite tall and ever so slightly awkward when they used the pass-through, I wondered if the 22L would be better. It seems from your photos as though it is Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers Just wondering if you took a laptop on your trip, and how you big it was if you did?

The 22L really seems like the perfect size, I'm so excited to pour over the TB page in August! Like others I have been planning a trip for October but it looks like I'm going to have to postpone it... Just so I can have the right luggage! Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so glad I found this...
    I was essentially just about to pull the trigger on a synapse 25... and now I'm glad I didn't, as the synik 22/30 seems to be the answer to just about everything I wished the Synapse had different.

Anyhow... I'm certainly eager to wait for the pre order to start... but have had a few questions:

1) Size comparison.
    As the Synik comes in 22 and 30 - how does this respectively compare to the synapse 19 and 25? especially depth and width wise, don't care that much about height.

2) Size question ...
    I was slightly torn between the 19 and the 25 synapse... and deciced on the 25... how's it with the 22 and the 30, what do you say, if I'd chosen the synapse 25, should I rather get the 22 or the 30.
    (I mean the 22 seems, size wise, closer to the 25 than the 30... and usually 30l packs are a tad to large for me..)

2) Does it come with the frame sheet included?

3) price range? similar to the synapse 25?

thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing the overall size of Synik 22 with Synapse 19, is it true that the only difference is the depth (Synik 22 is deeper than Synapse 19)?

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    so glad I found this...
    2) Size question ...
    I was slightly torn between the 19 and the 25 synapse... and deciced on the 25... how's it with the 22 and the 30, what do you say, if I'd chosen the synapse 25, should I rather get the 22 or the 30.
    (I mean the 22 seems, size wise, closer to the 25 than the 30... and usually 30l packs are a tad to large for me..)

thanks!
    I haven’t seen a Synik yet but maybe this will help. I use an S19 and S25 as my EDC. I’m 5’4” and both bags are comfortable for me to carry. TB doesn’t have specialized designs for women like some brands, but TB unisex bags are more comfortable on my shoulders than women’s packs like North Face and Osprey.

On lighter, non-laptop days, I like my S19. My 13” laptop fits (HP Elitebook) but the main compartment can feel cramped if I’m carrying other stuff. I ride a train for 45 min as part of my commute and want it easy to pull things in and out. When I’m carrying my laptop, the partial zip makes it sometimes too stuffed for easy pullouts.

Mind you, lots of folks use the S19 as for their EDC and carry a laptop plus. It’s my personal preference not to be cramped. So on laptop days, I switch to the S25 to give me more space — and most time I have leftover capacity.

My understanding of Synik 22 and 30 is the laptop section is added on to the depth of each bag, although one of the current reviewers mentioned the Synik 30 is wider than the S25 so it’s worth confirming.

For me, if I buy a Synik, I’m going to go with the 22 (since I already have both Synapses, I may pass for now). However, knowing what I know about the Synapses, if I had neither and was deciding between a Synapse and Synik, I’d go with the Synik 22 — because the 1 bag would be a perfect compromise for me between light and heavy carry days.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puncertain View Post
    Just wondering if you took a laptop on your trip, and how you big it was if you did?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    I didn't take a laptop, but I brought a regular sized iPad and put it in the zippered section, and that worked great.

In terms of sizing, I was glad I had the opportunity to try the 22, since it fit me well in the same way the S19 does in terms of length. I am 5'3" with a shorter torso; the S25 feels long on me, so I suspect the 30 would as well. Compared to my original parapack S19, the 22 in ballistic felt more substantial. While the 22 with the framesheet in was heavier than my parapack S19 without a framesheet, I found the combination of wider padded straps and framesheet helped to offset my packing it with quite a few things. Just my two cents.

I will be super curious to see the parapack versions, since I think that is one of the most elegant bag fabrics TB uses.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-25-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also really curious about the price range!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, I kind of hate it. I loved that TB bags weren't clamshell. I really don't get why everyone is so obsessed with clamshell, Especially if you use packing cubes. I feel like it turns a bag that could have been a day bag into something I'm never going to be able to use as a day bag because there's just so much zipper and it's not a quick and easy unzip because there's no stopping point and I could easily accidentally unzip too much and end up spilling half my contents out and I'll be forever trying to figure out where I left the zippers. I also liked that I had the choice of whether it had a laptop in it or not. I mean at least this doesn't take up that much space but it's still a wasted feature for people who didn't want their laptop in the bag all the time or even in that location. This really isn't a new bag, just a Synapse with changes I didn't want or need without fixing the issues I do have with this bag. I'm sure it is great for people who wanted it, it just isn't for me.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new strap design is something that I'm looking forward to feedback on. My S25 can get a little uncomfortable when I'm carrying it for extended periods.

Will the Synik ever be available in 1050D? Or are TB moving away from 1050D?

Thinking about it, something like the Shadow Guide, with the new strap design might be my ideal gym bag.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast