Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful. Thanks, everyone.

I haven’t 100% decided on the Synic 22 yet. I’m seriously considering one bag travel. I also carry camera gear, which complicates things a bit. Just getting tired of schlepping two bags.

I have a trip to Western Canada next year, so may order the Synic without any pouches or cubes. When we’re in Vancouver (or Victoria) we may do a side trip to Seattle. That way, I can see all the pouch/cube options. I’ll need time to figure out what I need/don’t need.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarpy View Post
    I haven’t 100% decided on the Synic 22 yet. I’m seriously considering one bag travel. I also carry camera gear, which complicates things a bit. Just getting tired of schlepping two bags.
    I carry camera gear too.

It's a "bad habit" I'm trying to break. It makes onebag travel a lot harder and heavier. But my m43 camera with a pancake lens fits great in one side pocket of the S19 or S22 and a compact telephoto and fisheye fits just fine in the other side pocket.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very helpful. Thanks, everyone.

I have a trip to Western Canada next year, so may order the Synic without any pouches or cubes. When we’re in Vancouver (or Victoria) we may do a side trip to Seattle. That way, I can see all the pouch/cube options. I’ll need time to figure out what I need/don’t need.
    Is the Synik 30 too large for your needs? It is too bad the Smart Alec has been discontinued, that is my favorite "one bag" option. Pack it, tuck the camera gear (preferably m43 as mentioned above) into the corners, and all set. I don't travel a lot, but I've easily done weekends with "just" the Smart Alec. (We won't talk about pillows, food, and other non-standard bits that wouldn't usually be part of "true" one bag travel.)
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few responses to start …

carrot: I’ve owned two of the lenses you show in your pic—the 40-150 and Pany 20 back when I had my Pen-F.
    Meglet: The 30 would be good for carry-on, but a bit large (for me) for day-bag.

As this is a specific Synic 22/30 Q&A, I was actually going to hold all of this for a separate post . However, it’s somewhat relevant, as I’m considering the Synic as a one-bag solution.

I’m just going to do a brain dump here …

I’m retired, so don’t really have a need for an EDC. I also don’t carry a laptop (though on rare occasions I do carry a 12.9” iPad Pro). The closest for me would be a bag for my camera gear. For local trips (ie. car or transit), that’s normally a Peak Design 5L Sling. For vacation, I may replace that with my Courierware Incognito messenger bag.

My GF and I have done carry-on only for over ten years. This has been mostly been with the Red Oxx Air-Boss. We recently purchased the Mini-Boss for weekend trips, and realized we could have even used this for longer trips.

In general, we have loved these bags. But recurring back problems (for me—not my GF) led us to trying rollabouts on our last trip. In the airport, they’re fantastic. But they didn’t even fit perpendicular in an A330 compartment. They were heavy-ish, and opening and closing them with the wheels was a PITA. Plus, who knows what those wheels have tracked in from the street. My GF was a little more forgiving than me, but may go back to her Air Boss.

Me, on the other hand, started re-thinking the whole travel process. About half the time, my camera bag goes in for extra scrutinization at security (TSA or CATSA). It doesn’t matter if we use the NEXUS lane or not. More on this below.

So …

Messenger bag: Easy access, but limited storage and bad for my back.
    Backpack: Fussier access, but more options for storage and better for my back.

I have to be ruthless about what I pack in the messenger bag. If I want to include my phone charger, then a lens has to come out. It’s like whack-a-mole.

Truth is, I’m not a “backpack” guy, but I probably need to become one.

It was James Clear’s article about one-bag travel with his S19 that got me on this whole thing. Frankly, I’m getting weary of schlepping stuff. It’s something I’d just need to go all-in on. I’m looking for that sweet-spot of carry-on and day-bag. I’m even looking at traveling with no liquids. Chase Reeves mentioned this in a video, and I think I could do it.

But the rub is the camera gear. With a backpack, I lose the easy access, but I can use a slider-strap for my camera. It’s stowing the gear I’m grappling with.

I’m using a Fuji X-E3 rangefinder “style” camera. It’s pretty compact. The smallest kit I would bring is my 23/2 prime and 18-55 zoom. Depending on the trip, I may add my 35/1/4 prime and 50-230 zoom.

The ultimate would be to sub my current camera gear for a Fuji X100. That would simplify things immensely. It depends on the type of trip. I wish I could be one of those people who are happy with their phone camera. I find that experience … unsatisfying.

I did try two other backpacks.

I bought, and returned, a Wandrd Prvke 21 rucksack. I found the side access for the camera very fussy, and getting access to the camera compartment on the back was fiddly. I know many people love this bag, but it didn’t work for me. I also bought, and kept, a Tenba Fulton 14L rucksack. If I was traveling with my Air Boss, I could see this working in tandem. The camera storage compartment is decent, but the straps are middling and storage for non-camera gear isn’t optimal. It’s “ok”. It doesn’t spark joy when I pick it up (hello Marie Kondo) so it rarely gets used.

This seems to be the thing with camera-specific backpacks. Most assume you’re going to fill up the whole thing with camera gear. There are very few that allow a mix of camera gear and other gear.

The option—for a non-camera bag—is to use a camera-specific insert like this

Or wraps like these

Or store in the side pockets as carrot mentioned.

I’ve also considered the S19, as it’s available right now.

* Synik 22 is one pound heavier than the S19.
    * Synik is more expensive than the S19.
    * Synik has better(?) frame integration than the S19.
    * Synik has the edgeless straps. I have somewhat bony shoulders, so a plus.
    * Don’t need passthrough sleeve, so would be an unused feature on the Synic 22.

That said, I’m still leaning towards the Synic 22, as I think I’ll need the extra 3L.

And just to give you an idea of what my typical travel day-bag gear would be …

Camera Gear
    * X-E3
    * 18-55
    * 23/2
    * 35/1.4 (sometimes)
    * 50-230 (sometimes)
    * 2 extra batteries
    * SD cards
    * Micro Fibre Cloth
    * Lens Pen
    * UV Filters
    * ND Filter
    * Plastic bags and dessicant

First Aid Kit
    * Bandids
    * Alcohol wipes
    * Lip balm
    * Floss
    * Lotion
    * Advil
    * Pepcid
    * Tweezers
    * Imodium
    * Q-Tips

Misc
    * Field Notes
    * Pencil
    * Gum
    * Anker charger
    * Anker 1ft. lightning cable
    * Fenix E18 Flashlight

Bulkier Stuff
    * Merino full-zip sweater
    * Marmot Precip rainjacket

A lot of rambling, but that’s where I am right now.
    Last edited by Yarpy; 09-17-2019 at 07:38 AM.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yarpy,
    Did you think about the Capture (of PeakDesign) ? it may help you to hold it in front of you without too much fuss

My camera is mirrorless, small enough to fit in my purse, so I put it in my purse with my phone/minimal wallet/etc., and everything else in my backpack
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve also considered the S19, as it’s available right now.

* Synik 22 is one pound heavier than the S19.
    * Synik is more expensive than the S19.
    * Synik has better(?) frame integration than the S19.
    * Synik has the edgeless straps. I have somewhat bony shoulders, so a plus.
    * Don’t need passthrough sleeve, so would be an unused feature on the Synic 22.

That said, I’m still leaning towards the Synic 22, as I think I’ll need the extra 3L.
    I may have lost track with your earlier responses, but if you don't need most of the extra features (along with weight & cost) of the Synic's vs the Synapses, but you want more space than the S19 - have you tried the Synapse 25? The nice thing about the Synapses is that they don't look weird if they're underpacked...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On camera gear:
    The X-E3 is about the same size body as my E-M10. It looks like your walkaround prime 23/2 is a little longer which might actually not fit well in the Synik 22. It did not fit well in the Synapse 19 side pocket but the pockets have changed a bit so it might fit on the newer Synapse / Synik with the triangular bottle compartment.

I think your camera gear would fit very easily in the Synapse 25 or Synik 30 bottom pocket. It probably would even fit in the side pockets. If you have a long torso or like big backpacks, I think you might actually be better off with a Synapse 25 with Internal Frame.

On onebag:
    Traveling onebag with the Synapse 19 was the best upgrade I could ever make to my travel. One little backpack stuffed full of camera gear and clothes is still heavy, but not unwieldy at all. It's easy to navigate public transit and the airports. Traveling with the Synik 22 was also eye-opening; the clamshell configuration is really nice to use when you pack it up or arrive at your destination and it's no more unwieldy than the half-zip of the Synapse. The padded straps are great, much nicer than on the Synapse, though I never had a real complaint about the Synapse straps.

On the Synik 30:
    My buddy dropped by with his Synik 30 yesterday and I really liked it, actually a lot more than the S25. The shape of the back panel is more comfortable for me and it doesn't feel as oversized as it sounds.

Now that I have the Synik 22 I will be selling the Synapse 25. It's the sweet spot for me for most trips.

But I'll keep thinking about supplementing it with the A30 or S30 for trips with bigger carry requirements.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    @Yarpy,
    Did you think about the Capture (of PeakDesign) ? it may help you to hold it in front of you without too much fuss

My camera is mirrorless, small enough to fit in my purse, so I put it in my purse with my phone/minimal wallet/etc., and everything else in my backpack
    I have a PD Capture Clip, but it didn’t work well with my Tenba backpack. The straps are a bit thin, so the camera tended to sag. I couldn’t objectively test so I’ve stored it away for now.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I may have lost track with your earlier responses, but if you don't need most of the extra features (along with weight & cost) of the Synic's vs the Synapses, but you want more space than the S19 - have you tried the Synapse 25? The nice thing about the Synapses is that they don't look weird if they're underpacked...

My challenge with trying any gear is I’m in Canada. I’m likely paying duties which I won’t get back if I have to exchange. That said, I will add it to my list of things to consider.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    On camera gear:
    The X-E3 is about the same size body as my E-M10. It looks like your walkaround prime 23/2 is a little longer which might actually not fit well in the Synik 22. It did not fit well in the Synapse 19 side pocket but the pockets have changed a bit so it might fit on the newer Synapse / Synik with the triangular bottle compartment.

I think your camera gear would fit very easily in the Synapse 25 or Synik 30 bottom pocket. It probably would even fit in the side pockets. If you have a long torso or like big backpacks, I think you might actually be better off with a Synapse 25 with Internal Frame.

On onebag:
    Traveling onebag with the Synapse 19 was the best upgrade I could ever make to my travel. One little backpack stuffed full of camera gear and clothes is still heavy, but not unwieldy at all. It's easy to navigate public transit and the airports. Traveling with the Synik 22 was also eye-opening; the clamshell configuration is really nice to use when you pack it up or arrive at your destination and it's no more unwieldy than the half-zip of the Synapse. The padded straps are great, much nicer than on the Synapse, though I never had a real complaint about the Synapse straps.

On the Synik 30:
    My buddy dropped by with his Synik 30 yesterday and I really liked it, actually a lot more than the S25. The shape of the back panel is more comfortable for me and it doesn't feel as oversized as it sounds.

Now that I have the Synik 22 I will be selling the Synapse 25. It's the sweet spot for me for most trips.

But I'll keep thinking about supplementing it with the A30 or S30 for trips with bigger carry requirements.
    The 23/2 is 2” (50mm) long. Not too big, but it’s not a pancake.

I’m 5’11”, but would prefer to stay away from a big backpack.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My challenge with trying any gear is Iím in Canada. Iím likely paying duties which I wonít get back if I have to exchange. That said, I will add it to my list of things to consider.
    I take it that youíre not near Toronto? (From other comments, itís clear youíre not in Western Canada). I was thinking that @tpnl, although no longer active as a mod, might be able to show you the Synapse 25. I donít know whether he has tried either model Synik.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I take it that you’re not near Toronto? (From other comments, it’s clear you’re not in Western Canada). I was thinking that @tpnl, although no longer active as a mod, might be able to show you the Synapse 25. I don’t know whether he has tried either model Synik.
    Actually, I’m right next to Toronto, in Mississauga.

Forum Member
    Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few responses to start Ö

[...]

A lot of rambling, but thatís where I am right now.
    Can you pack enough clothes for a one bag trip in the Synik 22 though?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n2n2 View Post
    Can you pack enough clothes for a one bag trip in the Synik 22 though?
    For our recent 10 day trip to Ireland ...

Worn on the plane:
    * Jeans (just regular cotton, not travel-tech)
    * Merino t-shirt
    * Merino button-up shirt
    * Merino full-zip sweater
    * Merino underwear/socks

In the bag:
    * 4 merino t-shirts
    * 2 quick-dry polyester button-up shirts
    * Merino pullover sweater (not bulky)
    * 2 pair merino socks
    * 2 pair merino underwear
    * Extra pair of “dressy” jeans
    * Marmot Precip rainjacket

Yeah. A lot of merino.

We hand wash stuff in the sink. With merino, that’s not nearly as often as with synthetics. On our last trip we only did a wash once. Love merino.

I don’t pack extra shoes. If I do, it’s probably a pair of Xero sandals (depending on the trip). I prefer items that can pull double-duty. I wore the Precip on cooler days, that way I didn’t have to also carry the merino zip when exploring.

All the clothing fits into the one half of my Mini Boss ... 12” x 17” x 3”, or about 10L.

Forum Member
    Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good list! These days I'm doing onebag travel with a 27 L with some space to spare, I think the 22 could work for me if I'm a bit more careful about what I pack.

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast