Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    If you aren't carrying a water bottle, a Kindle Paperwhite or Nintendo Switch fits great in the bottle pocket. Otherwise, you'll have to pack your Kindle like a tablet in the new side-access laptop/tablet compartment.
    The redesign of the water bottle pocket earlier this year makes it easier to fit a Paperwhite or the older Kindle Voyage into the Side Pockets, and this is where I’d now carry these in a Synik. (The reason the redesign makes it easier is that the stretchy mesh that forms the sides of the water bottle pocket attaches at a central, vertically sewn line, instead of at two boxy parallel lines. This works better if you’re using a the water bottle Pocket for a cylindrically shaped water bottle, and want to get more use out of the side pockets because a Paperwhite in the back of a side pocket can have its edge extend inward all the way towards that central mesh attachment line. The curved sections of any cylindrical water bottle placed in the pocket essentially expand out in front of that Kindle placed in the side pocket, without impacting its space usage. And if my bottle is one of the slimmer diameter models, I can more easily use the additional space in the side pocket — for example, I can place a Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Jacket in its Pouch in my Synik 22 side Pocket and still have a Zojirushi thermos in the water bottle pocket. If you used the water bottle pocket to store boxy or large cube-shaped objects, you won’t find this change an improvement, and at least one Synik 22 reviewer has commented about not liking this change.) But, I agree that you’d likely need to put the wider Oasis into the water bottle pocket, or into the side access laptop pocket, if there’s room. The water bottle pocket is where I store my Kindle in my Synapses that were made before the redesign (think this was around early March of 2019).

HTH

moriond

ETA: For pictures of how space usage changed with water bottle pocket redesign, please take a look at the posts and discussion in the Manufacturing change in Synapse 25? thread started on 04-07-2019:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...apse-25-a.html

This thread also contains detailed comments about items that now fit into the side pockets (like Travel Cubelets for the Synapse 25), that wouldn’t have before the redesign. This also includes comments from people who now use the side pockets to store their Kindle Paperwhites. Normally, I would put this ETA (=edited to add) info in a separate post, but the discussion has now moved to early shipping notices, so separating the information would make things confusing
    Last edited by moriond; 10-08-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added link to thread discussing water bottle pocket redesign

Forum Member
    Mississauga, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím looking at a Tenba BYOB 9 Slim Backpack Insert. Thereís also the Tenba Tools Protective Wraps. They may take up less room in the bag, but youíd be futzing with wrapping/unwrapping. You could also put lenses in the side pockets, but may or may not work depending on what else you have stowed there.

I also shoot Fuji (X-E3). A small kit would be 23/2 and 18-55. Depending on the trip Iíd add my 50-230. The 27 pancake can be added anywhere as itís so tiny.

I wonder if the X-E3 and 27 would fit in the water bottle pocket.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pre-ordered a Synik but hadn't received a shipping notification as of this morning. Thought maybe TB was doing multiple shipping waves so I reached out to Cust Service to find out when mine would ship. TB had some sort of emailing glitch. They told me my bag is traveling its way to me and I'll have by Wed.

If you're a pre-order and haven't received your bag or gotten a shipping email, check in with them and (hopefully) you'll have some good news like I got.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    I pre-ordered a Synik but hadn't received a shipping notification as of this morning. Thought maybe TB was doing multiple shipping waves so I reached out to Cust Service to find out when mine would ship. TB had some sort of emailing glitch. They told me my bag is traveling its way to me and I'll have by Wed.

If you're a pre-order and haven't received your bag or gotten a shipping email, check in with them and (hopefully) you'll have some good news like I got.
    Yes I found out mine was coming through the UPS MyChoice account, and never received a tracking email from Tom Bihn.

Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SN30 in Deep Blue / Iberian arrived today. I've uploaded some pics to the pictures thread. I'm very satisfied with my purchase so far. Love the fabrics and colors. I also like the organization - the front pockets are kind of useful because I have lots of small stuff. The water bottle one looked smaller than expected at first glance but then could easily hold my 750 ml water bottle. All in all I'm pretty sure the bag defies the laws of physics.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone compare the size and feel of the Synik 30 and the Synapse 25?

Unfortunately my work issued me a 15” MacBook Pro and while i love the computer, it makes picking an EDC bag complicated. I’d love to use the Synik 22 but I’ve read that while technically the 15” will fit in the main compartment, it causes things to be very awkward, uncomfortable and generally is not recommended.

I have a guide edition SN25 that I love but its a bit big for everything except for the 15”.

Thanks in advance.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by balakay View Post
    Yes I found out mine was coming through the UPS MyChoice account, and never received a tracking email from Tom Bihn.
    Sorry about that. There's a weird system glitch thing where orders that have in-stock items sent separately can only receive one shipping notification from us, and that shipping notification is the the first one for the in-stock items and not the pre-order item. The fix is less than easy, so what we're going to do in the meantime is manually email folks who wouldn't automatically get their shipping notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by mkasu View Post
    My SN30 in Deep Blue / Iberian arrived today. I've uploaded some pics to the pictures thread. I'm very satisfied with my purchase so far. Love the fabrics and colors. I also like the organization - the front pockets are kind of useful because I have lots of small stuff. The water bottle one looked smaller than expected at first glance but then could easily hold my 750 ml water bottle. All in all I'm pretty sure the bag defies the laws of physics.
    I'm glad the Synik is working out for you! I will make sure Nik gets to see this.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I doubly challenged the system because I added 2 orders to my pre-order. No harm, no foul.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). S22 (Aubergine)SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - including Nik's #4 wallets, ghost whales, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I doubly challenged the system because I added 2 orders to my pre-order. No harm, no foul.
    It's a strange glitch because really the only challenge is around getting additional shipping notifications automatically sent! Everything else is pretty much flawless. I think we can fix it tho Smilie
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m pretty excited, though, because I get my order tomorrow. My S22 and a variety of organizers including some mini ghost whales.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsEricP View Post
    I’m sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone compare the size and feel of the Synik 30 and the Synapse 25?

Unfortunately my work issued me a 15” MacBook Pro and while i love the computer, it makes picking an EDC bag complicated. I’d love to use the Synik 22 but I’ve read that while technically the 15” will fit in the main compartment, it causes things to be very awkward, uncomfortable and generally is not recommended.

I have a guide edition SN25 that I love but its a bit big for everything except for the 15”.

Thanks in advance.
    Here are two YouTube links comparing the a Synik 30 and Synapse 25:

Pack Hacker - https://youtu.be/k8SZMMOqJNY

My Tom Bihn Reviews - https://youtu.be/YO24y2mjKN0

Quote Originally Posted by mkasu View Post
    Great pictures! Noticed you threaded some paracord on your zippers - are they 550 paracord? Does it dampen some of the noise the zippers make? I'm considering doing the same once my Synik 30 arrives.

Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Navy Parapack Synick 22 arrived today. At first, it looked small. However, after I unloaded everything out of my Synapse 25, I was surprised everything fit. In the main compartment, there's a 15" laptop, 2 folders, two books, and a lab notebook. On the side pockets, power cord and mouse; two slim card holders, pair of sunglasses and some pens. Small front zipper pocket, a wallet and some loose change. Larger zipper front pocket, my 12 oz Yeti Rambler. Front bottom pocket, checkbook, air pods and misc. cables in a pouch. It's a nice tweener between the synapse 19 and synapse 25 for my 5'8" frame. If you're any taller than that, the Synik 22 might appear a little small. The only caveat is my 15" work laptop did not fit in the side compartment. The parapack material is better than I expected. I prefer the look and feel of it over the codura nylon. The navy color is the perfect shade of blue. Not deep blue, but not bright blue either. Very happy with the purchase, and will look to unload my Synapse black halcyon on an auction site. I'm sure the bag will stretch a little bit, and I'll be able to fit a few more nick nacks in it.
    Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-img_3488-1-jpg
    Last edited by PLA10S; 10-08-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heading out on my first trip with my Synik 30! (Heading to Boston) The bag seems to just swallow anything I put in it. So far so good for my first TB backpack.

Japan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'm glad the Synik is working out for you! I will make sure Nik gets to see this.
    Oh, thank you! Make sure he gets a beer or something after all the preorder stress is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by metroflex View Post
    Great pictures! Noticed you threaded some paracord on your zippers - are they 550 paracord? Does it dampen some of the noise the zippers make? I'm considering doing the same once my Synik 30 arrives.
    Iím not sure about the fabrics, but they are the one from the TB store:
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/cord-zipper-pulls
    Black is included when buying the bag, but I got the Iberian ones extra because I like the color combination.

The metal noise is a bit dampened, but they make some noise on their own when flapping around. It also makes them easier to pull. However, I also noticed they often get trapped in neighboring pockets when opening and closing multiple at once.

2nd day commuting, still in love with the bag. Now Iím thinking of ordering some more accessories. TB gets addicting.
    Last edited by mkasu; 10-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooooooooo! My UPS shipment is delayed a day. I planned on spending a chunk of the evening communing with my purchases. Now....I....have....to....wait.

Me sad.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast