Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Virginia USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    I have to say, I kind of hate it. I loved that TB bags weren't clamshell. I really don't get why everyone is so obsessed with clamshell, Especially if you use packing cubes. I feel like it turns a bag that could have been a day bag into something I'm never going to be able to use as a day bag because there's just so much zipper and it's not a quick and easy unzip because there's no stopping point and I could easily accidentally unzip too much and end up spilling half my contents out and I'll be forever trying to figure out where I left the zippers. I also liked that I had the choice of whether it had a laptop in it or not. I mean at least this doesn't take up that much space but it's still a wasted feature for people who didn't want their laptop in the bag all the time or even in that location. This really isn't a new bag, just a Synapse with changes I didn't want or need without fixing the issues I do have with this bag. I'm sure it is great for people who wanted it, it just isn't for me.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    TB is being customer-reponsive. A lot of us wanted a separate laptop compartment. Now with both Synapses and Syniks, customers can choose what makes the most since for their use case.
    Bags - S25 (Mars Red balistic/Northwest sky/halcyon), S19 (Deep blue balistic/Iberian/halcyon). SCB (Nordic)
    Accessories - Nik's #4 wallets, Q-kits, pouches, stuff sacks, travel trays.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrowndog View Post
    Also really curious about the price range!
    I would guess maybe $250ish

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    TB is being customer-reponsive. A lot of us wanted a separate laptop compartment. Now with both Synapses and Syniks, customers can choose what makes the most since for their use case.
    Yes, I understand. Just adding my feedback too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Synik 22
    Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
    12.35” x 8.65” x 0.75” / 314mm x 220mm x 19mm
    Example devices: the 2015 13” MacBook Pro Retina or the 12.9” iPad Pro (with the keyboard case) will fit in the Synik 22 laptop compartment.

Synik 30
    Maximum device dimensions for both the external and internal laptop compartment access points:
    14.15” x 9.75” x 0.75” / 359mm x 248mm x 19mm
    Example devices: the 2015 15” MacBook Pro Retina or the 2019 15” MacBook Pro Touchbar will fit in the Synik 30 laptop compartment.

Now, here’s where it gets a little interesting:
    If you’re trying to fit a laptop that’s on the larger end of what’s recommended as fitting in the Synik 22, you may find that — depending on the shape and proportions of the device — one access point works better for your device. For example: taller and thinner large laptops may fit better through the internal laptop compartment access point, whereas more square laptops (like the Surface Book 2) may angle in better through the external laptop compartment access point.

If anyone here is wondering which size of Synik would better fit their laptop, feel free to emailus@tombihn.com with the make + model or dimensions, or respond here.

It’s a fair question and not annoying at all!

It’s a possibility that some bags (but no bags in particular yet) will get them, but no decisions or plans have been made about that yet. We want to get more feedback on the new Edgeless straps and see if people like them as much as we (and our testers so far) do.

Here’s the full list:

Black 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Cloud 210 Ballistic
    Black 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Mars Red 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Aubergine 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Navy Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black 400 Halcyon/NW Sky 200 Halcyon

Good question and good thinking too! We felt the additional hardware didn’t justify the advantage of that feature on the Synik in particular. And if the hardware was something like a Gatekeeper, we figured people probably wouldn’t use it and would just stuff their bag under the seat.

The way I stowed the Synik underseat on the plane trips I took it on — I set the bag on its bottom in front of my legs, then used both hands to smooth down the pack straps and then tipped/slid it under the seat, taking a moment to adjust the straps so they laid underneath the bag.

You bet! See the first post within this thread. We'll edit/update it as more reviews come out.

Those two reviews are:
    Hands on + Extended review over at All Spoken
    Comparison video from Pack Hacker

1. No, not in the Synik 22, but yes in the Synik 30.
    2. No, not in the Synik 22, and *maybe* not in the Synik 30 depending on the sleeve. If it’s one of those minimal plastic cases, it will probably fit, but anything thicker than that won’t.

If you fully stuff the main compartment of the Synik, it will expand into the front to a degree. However, because of the way the Synapse and Synik are designed and patterened, hardly any space will be stolen from the front exterior pockets — meaning, those front exterior pockets remain spacious and usable.

I’ll have to try packing out my A30 vs. the Synik 30. My intuitive guess is that the Aeronaut 30 would hold more partly because of how it’s configured, but then again I was surprised by how much I was able to fit in the Synik 30 on a trip back in April.

One thing worth remembering re: ship dates — we will have a small quantity of PPB (pre-production batch) bags ready to ship nearly right away to some of those who place pre-orders. See here:
    https://blog.tombihn.com/pre-orders#sameday

Yes, all of the exterior zippers (including the exterior access to the laptop compartment) are YKK Aquaguard zippers.

In my Synapse 25, I didn't use the laptop cache, preferring instead to suspend my laptop within a sleeve using shoestrings and the loops. Under the dimensions listed above, my sleeve won't fit. Are there loops or O-rings at the top of the main compartment of the Synik 30 that would serve the same purpose?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean there will be a non-Guide version of the Synik in Coyote??? *crosses fingers*

We originally planned to offer a Guide’s Edition Synik, but then we decide to move forward and approve lab dips of our 525d ballistic in Coyote (couldn’t help it: it just looks great). Having 525d in Coyote means we could make “full Coyote” Guide’s Edition bags and we figured it would be best to wait until we could offer that combination…. and that’ll probably be early next year.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seamer View Post
    In my Synapse 25, I didn't use the laptop cache, preferring instead to suspend my laptop within a sleeve using shoestrings and the loops. Under the dimensions listed above, my sleeve won't fit. Are there loops or O-rings at the top of the main compartment of the Synik 30 that would serve the same purpose?
    The laptop compartment in the Syniks is suspended, and does not touch the bottom of the bag.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: I edited my post yesterday because I had swapped the example devices for the Synik 22 and 30 under the dimensions listed. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused, and thanks to the people who alerted me to the error.

Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    I saw on the video review that the weight of the ballistic is 3 pounds. In the black halcyon, what’s the weight? Thanks!
    525d Ballistic exterior/ 200d Halcyon lining
    Synapse 19: 2 lb 4.5 oz / 1035 grams*
    Synik 22: 2 lb 9.6 oz / 1180 grams

Synapse 25: 2 lb 13.7 oz / 1295 grams*
    Synik 30: 3 lb 0.1 oz / 1365 grams

Any Synapse 19 weight includes the weight of a 13C Cache (5.82 oz / 165 grams) and Internal Frame (6.9 oz / 195 grams). Any Synapse 25 weight includes the weight of a 15B Cache (7.41 oz / 210 grams) and Internal Frame (9.6 oz / 272 grams)

400d Halcyon/420d nylon ripstop exterior / 200d Halcyon lining
    Synik 22: 2 lb 7.9 oz / 1130 grams
    Synik 30: 2 lb 13.7 oz / 1295 grams

Quote Originally Posted by arjunsw View Post
    Where does the larger liter space on the new Syniks come from, and is it compromised by any of the new additions? I was first considering the Synapse 25, but heard the new Synik will be a 22L. Im still concerned if it will carry as much as the 19L, or the added 3 liters is fully useable and the Synik 22 will sit between the old Synapses in functionality too.
    In our experience, the 3 liters difference between the 19 and 22 and the 5 liters difference between the 25 and 30 does make a difference in terms of how much we’re able to pack in the bags. So, for example: if I overpack my 19 a bit, and then I transfer that same stuff to the 22, it doesn’t seem overpacked anymore.

The additional liters of space are all allotted to the main compartment and basically add enough depth to make sure the clamshell is useful and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by olsonnet View Post
    Ah, that’s disappointing. I have the newish LG Gram 17 (slim 17” in a nearly 15” form factor) and it’s 15” x 10.5” x 0.7”. Less than an inch too large in L/W.
    Correct: your laptop won’t fit in the laptop compartment of even the 30

Quote Originally Posted by e__ View Post
    For the novices such as myself: would 525 ballistic be a better choice or Parapack?

Would there be an anticipated price difference? To be honest, this would probably be the main factor for me: I'd likely opt for the cheaper one.
    If it helps…
    525 is more durable, but Parapack is way more durable than most folks will ever need a fabric to be.
    Parapack has a softer hand whereas 525 has a more robust hand.
    Both are handsome fabrics; you’ll see the weave more with the 525d.

There won't be a price difference between the fabric options.

Quote Originally Posted by dkatri View Post
    I would guess maybe $250ish
    There is going to be a price difference, and it will be more than that. More build goes into the Synik back panel and Edgeless shoulder straps than the existing Synapse back panel and shoulder straps — and the Synik has a full-length clamshell YKK Aquaguard zipper, an additional exterior YKK Aquaguard zipper, the new top grab handle, included tie-down straps, a padded bottom. The Synik includes a laptop compartment and a frame whereas both are optional additional costs with the Synapse.

Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    1) Size comparison.
    As the Synik comes in 22 and 30 - how does this respectively compare to the synapse 19 and 25? especially depth and width wise, don't care that much about height.

2) Size question ...
    I was slightly torn between the 19 and the 25 synapse... and deciced on the 25... how's it with the 22 and the 30, what do you say, if I'd chosen the synapse 25, should I rather get the 22 or the 30.
    (I mean the 22 seems, size wise, closer to the 25 than the 30... and usually 30l packs are a tad to large for me..)

2) Does it come with the frame sheet included?

3) price range? similar to the synapse 25?
    1) It's all in the depth. Height and width are the same, but the additional liters are realized in the depth of the Synik 22 and 30.

2) Tough call! We're working on some videos and photos that we think will help people make that choice. Those will be shared on August 6th. And, of course, there will be all of the external reviews and Forum member reviews.

3) Yes, the frame with aluminum stay is included.

4) It will be more expensive than the Synapse 25 -- see the answer above.

Quote Originally Posted by bendan View Post
    Comparing the overall size of Synik 22 with Synapse 19, is it true that the only difference is the depth (Synik 22 is deeper than Synapse 19)?
    Correct.

I have to say, I kind of hate it. I loved that TB bags weren't clamshell. I really don't get why everyone is so obsessed with clamshell, Especially if you use packing cubes. I feel like it turns a bag that could have been a day bag into something I'm never going to be able to use as a day bag because there's just so much zipper and it's not a quick and easy unzip because there's no stopping point and I could easily accidentally unzip too much and end up spilling half my contents out and I'll be forever trying to figure out where I left the zippers. I also liked that I had the choice of whether it had a laptop in it or not. I mean at least this doesn't take up that much space but it's still a wasted feature for people who didn't want their laptop in the bag all the time or even in that location. This really isn't a new bag, just a Synapse with changes I didn't want or need without fixing the issues I do have with this bag. I'm sure it is great for people who wanted it, it just isn't for me.
    Fair enough — Tom and I were both skeptics when it came to clamshell. And it’s definitely not for everyone. Same w/the built-in laptop compartment. We like to provide a variety of options — and we’ll always have some packs that aren’t clamshell, and some that are, and some that have dedicated device pockets and others that don’t. What are the issues you do have with the Synapse?

Quote Originally Posted by dkatri View Post
    T
    Will the Synik ever be available in 1050D? Or are TB moving away from 1050D?
    It’s actually pretty much impossible to construct a Synapse or Synik in 1050d ballistic — it’s just too stiff. One of the reasons we brought in 525d ballistic is that it’s still high tenacity and super durable, yet we can make bags like the Synapse in it.

Quote Originally Posted by seamer View Post
    There are two rail loops and two o-rings in the main compartment of the Synik — they are above the open-top pocket that’s against the front of the bag. There are no rail loops or o-rings above the integrated laptop compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by earth5 View Post
    Does this mean there will be a non-Guide version of the Synik in Coyote??? *crosses fingers*
    Yes indeed It won’t be available until early 2020 — but if that’s the color you’re hoping for, it might be worth waiting!
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-25-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I have the Mars Red version of the Synik 22 and I did a video review here:

https://youtu.be/5UNm7sec2Rk

Enjoy.

That’s my mom with my new Synik 22. And Marc’s new mini Yeoman that came with my own shipment.

@mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: I edited my post yesterday because I had swapped the example devices for the Synik 22 and 30 under the dimensions listed. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused, and thanks to the people who alerted me to the error.

525d Ballistic exterior/ 200d Halcyon lining
    Synapse 19: 2 lb 4.5 oz / 1035 grams*
    Synik 22: 2 lb 9.6 oz / 1180 grams

Synapse 25: 2 lb 13.7 oz / 1295 grams*
    Synik 30: 3 lb 0.1 oz / 1365 grams

Any Synapse 19 weight includes the weight of a 13C Cache (5.82 oz / 165 grams) and Internal Frame (6.9 oz / 195 grams). Any Synapse 25 weight includes the weight of a 15B Cache (7.41 oz / 210 grams) and Internal Frame (9.6 oz / 272 grams)

400d Halcyon/420d nylon ripstop exterior / 200d Halcyon lining
    Synik 22: 2 lb 7.9 oz / 1130 grams
    Synik 30: 2 lb 13.7 oz / 1295 grams

In our experience, the 3 liters difference between the 19 and 22 and the 5 liters difference between the 25 and 30 does make a difference in terms of how much we’re able to pack in the bags. So, for example: if I overpack my 19 a bit, and then I transfer that same stuff to the 22, it doesn’t seem overpacked anymore.

The additional liters of space are all allotted to the main compartment and basically add enough depth to make sure the clamshell is useful and functional.

Correct: your laptop won’t fit in the laptop compartment of even the 30

If it helps…
    525 is more durable, but Parapack is way more durable than most folks will ever need a fabric to be.
    Parapack has a softer hand whereas 525 has a more robust hand.
    Both are handsome fabrics; you’ll see the weave more with the 525d.

There won't be a price difference between the fabric options.

There is going to be a price difference, and it will be more than that. More build goes into the Synik back panel and Edgeless shoulder straps than the existing Synapse back panel and shoulder straps — and the Synik has a full-length clamshell YKK Aquaguard zipper, an additional exterior YKK Aquaguard zipper, the new top grab handle, included tie-down straps, a padded bottom. The Synik includes a laptop compartment and a frame whereas both are optional additional costs with the Synapse.

1) It's all in the depth. Height and width are the same, but the additional liters are realized in the depth of the Synik 22 and 30.

2) Tough call! We're working on some videos and photos that we think will help people make that choice. Those will be shared on August 6th. And, of course, there will be all of the external reviews and Forum member reviews.

Correct.

Fair enough — Tom and I were both skeptics when it came to clamshell. And it’s definitely not for everyone. Same w/the built-in laptop compartment. We like to provide a variety of options — and we’ll always have some packs that aren’t clamshell, and some that are, and some that have dedicated device pockets and others that don’t. What are the issues you do have with the Synapse?

It’s actually pretty much impossible to construct a Synapse or Synik in 1050d ballistic — it’s just too stiff. One of the reasons we brought in 525d ballistic is that it’s still high tenacity and super durable, yet we can make bags like the Synapse in it.

There are two rail loops and two o-rings in the main compartment of the Synik — they are above the open-top pocket that’s against the front of the bag. There are no rail loops or o-rings above the integrated laptop compartment.

Yes indeed It won’t be available until early 2020 — but if that’s the color you’re hoping for, it might be worth waiting!
    Darcy, I have no need for fat, round side pockets. I love the idea of the centered water bottle pockets, but it splits the front panel in two pockets that I can't fit a tablet or Kindle into and frankly, I have no use for them. I take 1 medium and 1-2 small EC cubes, one pair of flat shoes, a XS EC cube for toiletries, a kindle or 8" tablet, wallet, cell, keys and charging cords. Sometimes a laptop, maybe a water bottle. I like the concept of the back and bottom but the top front just is wasted space for my usage.

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay -- a question I had was where the increased capacity comes from, and I'm thrilled to hear the front panel of small compartments is the same, with a larger main compartment.

I am also curious to know how the laptop compartment sizes compare to the ones in the Luminaries? Will my S22 basically work like my L15, or would I need an S30 to get enough height to fit the same laptop?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Darcy, thanks for the great answers! Would it be possible to actually buy the bag without an internal frame? I already have a synapse 19 that I already bought an internal frame for, and I heard you can transfer the frame to the synik 22 with no issues - is that true?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clamshell is fantastic. at least in my opinion your mileage - of course may vary, but hear me out....
    Over 25 years of being a backpack-addict with lots of trips from 1 week to a year - I have probably tried almost every type of backpack configuration available.
    A pure clamshell like Goruck's GR1 has it's advantages and drawbacks... but mainly advantages in terms of being really able to quickly grab what's on the bottom, like really maximising what / how you can pack - especially when packing cubes come into play.
    One of my favourite bags other than my GR1 is the exact opposite: the millican Smith the roll 25ltr... excellent materials, excellent design and if you pack it clever you can get away with the roll top opening easily... mainly because it has a decent setpartely, padded laptop compartment. What I dislike about it (GR1) is the lack of external pockets (the slant front pocket is a joke, it's useless mostly).
    The clamshell "ripping open" by accident depends largely on how well it is actually built... on the quality / size of zippers... and frankly, with a #10 zip, I haven't had that happen unless I really pull it open.

recently I've travelled a good bit with a Ortovox Traverse 20 ... (it's actually closer to 25ltr) which has a similar zipper layout as the Synapse 19/25... and I kept my clothes packing cube in the main compartment at the "bottom" and then used smaller cubes to take care of tech stuff, dopp kit, etc. and stuffed my jacket in the bag's front organiser compartment (the pack - ortovox traverse 20 - is actually a hiking/mountain type pack which is fantastic, but it has a non-removable waist belt which I hate (I love it for alpine hikes, but not when travelling)... it's a good bit lighter than the goruck, and as it's not a rectangular box it flows better with the body when navigating narrow alleys, etc.... I prefer it mostly for travelling because of it... it also looks less "military", which in some cases is a benefit and it offers some compartamentalisation.
    But there's a couple of things the Goruck GR1 does a lot better, one being a dedicated laptop compartment, a stiffer frame sheet, CLAMSHELL... with the traverse 20 I don't know how often I wished to quickly grab the "one item" and had to take out the contents of the main compartment to get at it.... or when you want to take your clothes packing cube out, without unloading the rest.

When I looked at the synapse models, I was SO close to just buy one a couple of days ago .... they essentially offer most of the things I think would make a brilliant pack.
    What I think was missing is an integrated frame sheet, a direct, externallly accessible laptop compartment, and clamshell opening... the shoulderstraps looked a bit thin too, but that wasn't bothersome to me.
    Seeing the Synik, well I think Tom Bihn must have somehow read my mind ... I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the synapse ... but certainly will on one of the Synik models.

Clamshell: if done well, it doesn't "drop open" on you... so if you don't "need" it, it would not be bothersome... but if you search for that one item at the bottom ... clamshell all the way.
    also it really makes packing quickly and cleanly very easy.

Frankly looks like tom bihn managed to make the pack I was looking for

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darcy,
    Thanks for the reply...

When it comes to the depth, do you have the ext. measurments for the new packs already?

Looking forward to check the website again on the 6th

Frame: Perfect...

4) price... I did expect that, and that's of course ok

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a list of color options that are expected? It may be buried in another thread and I just haven't found it yet...

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    Clamshell is fantastic. at least in my opinion your mileage - of course may vary, but hear me out....
    Over 25 years of being a backpack-addict with lots of trips from 1 week to a year - I have probably tried almost every type of backpack configuration available.
    A pure clamshell like Goruck's GR1 has it's advantages and drawbacks... but mainly advantages in terms of being really able to quickly grab what's on the bottom, like really maximising what / how you can pack - especially when packing cubes come into play.
    One of my favourite bags other than my GR1 is the exact opposite: the millican Smith the roll 25ltr... excellent materials, excellent design and if you pack it clever you can get away with the roll top opening easily... mainly because it has a decent setpartely, padded laptop compartment. What I dislike about it (GR1) is the lack of external pockets (the slant front pocket is a joke, it's useless mostly).
    The clamshell "ripping open" by accident depends largely on how well it is actually built... on the quality / size of zippers... and frankly, with a #10 zip, I haven't had that happen unless I really pull it open.

recently I've travelled a good bit with a Ortovox Traverse 20 ... (it's actually closer to 25ltr) which has a similar zipper layout as the Synapse 19/25... and I kept my clothes packing cube in the main compartment at the "bottom" and then used smaller cubes to take care of tech stuff, dopp kit, etc. and stuffed my jacket in the bag's front organiser compartment (the pack - ortovox traverse 20 - is actually a hiking/mountain type pack which is fantastic, but it has a non-removable waist belt which I hate (I love it for alpine hikes, but not when travelling)... it's a good bit lighter than the goruck, and as it's not a rectangular box it flows better with the body when navigating narrow alleys, etc.... I prefer it mostly for travelling because of it... it also looks less "military", which in some cases is a benefit and it offers some compartamentalisation.
    But there's a couple of things the Goruck GR1 does a lot better, one being a dedicated laptop compartment, a stiffer frame sheet, CLAMSHELL... with the traverse 20 I don't know how often I wished to quickly grab the "one item" and had to take out the contents of the main compartment to get at it.... or when you want to take your clothes packing cube out, without unloading the rest.

When I looked at the synapse models, I was SO close to just buy one a couple of days ago .... they essentially offer most of the things I think would make a brilliant pack.
    What I think was missing is an integrated frame sheet, a direct, externallly accessible laptop compartment, and clamshell opening... the shoulderstraps looked a bit thin too, but that wasn't bothersome to me.
    Seeing the Synik, well I think Tom Bihn must have somehow read my mind ... I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the synapse ... but certainly will on one of the Synik models.

Clamshell: if done well, it doesn't "drop open" on you... so if you don't "need" it, it would not be bothersome... but if you search for that one item at the bottom ... clamshell all the way.
    also it really makes packing quickly and cleanly very easy.

Frankly looks like tom bihn managed to make the pack I was looking for
    I have a Tortuga Air that is clamshell now and I never get into it on travel days and it is a weird shape for a day bag so I don't use it as one, but the clamshell, especially split down the middle just makes packing harder for me and it makes for weird weight distribution which can make the halves sit oddly, though that is a side clamshell instead of a zip down clamshell. I was hoping to get away from that style.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast