Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh0720 View Post
    Since the width of a 16" mbp is 14", is it able to fit in a Synik 22 (not in the laptop compartment, but in the general storage area)?
    I have a 15” MBP and a S22. The 15” footprint is basically the same as the 16” and it does not come close to fitting into the laptop compartment. It will fit in the main compartment along the back but it makes the carry a bit awkward. I don’t have to carry my laptop that often so its not a big deal for me, but if its something you have to carry daily, i would not recommend it.

That said, OMG do I LOVE the Synik 22. It’s such a great bag.
    Daily Carry - Synik 22 in Nebulous Grey with Island Interior
    Packed with - Snake Charmer - Small in Grass , Cublet in Dawn , Cublet in Viridian and, HLT - Size 1 in Seapine Green

Hiking Bag - Synapse 25 Guide Edition in Deep Blue

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since the width of a 16" mbp is 14", is it able to fit in a Synik 22 (not in the laptop compartment, but in the general storage area)?
    Welcome to the forums, @jh0720 ,

I'll add on to @ItsEricP 's comment, and speak specifically about the new 16" MacBook Pro in the Synik 22. Compared to the 15" MBP, its width (as you specify), is 14.09" vs. 13.78" (or 35.79 cm vs. 34.93 cm), but it's the increase in depth of 9.68" vs. 9.48" (or 24.59 vs. 24.07 cm) that really makes this problematic if you intend to use the Synik 22 for EDC (=every day carry) of the 16" MacBook Pro.

While you can fit the 16" MBP inside the main compartment of the Synik 22, there doesn't appear to be enough room to put the laptop in a cache. The depth dimension actually exceeds the specified dimension of the Synik 22 given on the product page (which is 9.4" or 240 mm at maximum):

11.4" (w) x 16.0" (h) x 7.1" - 9.4" (d) / 290 (w) x 410 (h) x 180 - 240 (d) mm

Because the bottom of the backpack does not have rectangular corners, the bottom corners of the 16" MBP laptop actually sit slightly above the bottom support of the bag, against where the 525d Ballistic Nylon fabric is starting to curve upwards. You might occasionally transport the 16" laptop this way in a pinch, but you probably wouldn't want to do this every day. And I would at least want to put a hard shell around it (there doesn't look as though there would be enough room to hold the laptop in a TB cache -- remember that the bottom corners are sitting slightly above the flat bottom of the bag because the depth of the laptop exceeds the designed for width of the Synik 22.

Maybe someone who owns both the 16" MBP and the Synik 22 can take a picture -- I checked this by inserting a friend's new 16" MBP into my Synik 22, but the laptop was in use to meet a deadline, so I can only give a verbal description of what I found.

I agree that the Synik 22 is a great bag, but I don't think it will work for the 16" MacBook Pro.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Welcome to the forums, @jh0720 ,

I'll add on to @ItsEricP 's comment, and speak specifically about the new 16" MacBook Pro in the Synik 22. Compared to the 15" MBP, its width (as you specify), is 14.09" vs. 13.78" (or 35.79 cm vs. 34.93 cm), but it's the increase in depth of 9.68" vs. 9.48" (or 24.59 vs. 24.07 cm) that really makes this problematic if you intend to use the Synik 22 for EDC (=every day carry) of the 16" MacBook Pro.

While you can fit the 16" MBP inside the main compartment of the Synik 22, there doesn't appear to be enough room to put the laptop in a cache. The depth dimension actually exceeds the specified dimension of the Synik 22 given on the product page (which is 9.4" or 240 mm at maximum):

11.4" (w) x 16.0" (h) x 7.1" - 9.4" (d) / 290 (w) x 410 (h) x 180 - 240 (d) mm

Because the bottom of the backpack does not have rectangular corners, the bottom corners of the 16" MBP laptop actually sit slightly above the bottom support of the bag, against where the 525d Ballistic Nylon fabric is starting to curve upwards. You might occasionally transport the 16" laptop this way in a pinch, but you probably wouldn't want to do this every day. And I would at least want to put a hard shell around it (there doesn't look as though there would be enough room to hold the laptop in a TB cache -- remember that the bottom corners are sitting slightly above the flat bottom of the bag because the depth of the laptop exceeds the designed for width of the Synik 22.

Maybe someone who owns both the 16" MBP and the Synik 22 can take a picture -- I checked this by inserting a friend's new 16" MBP into my Synik 22, but the laptop was in use to meet a deadline, so I can only give a verbal description of what I found.

I agree that the Synik 22 is a great bag, but I don't think it will work for the 16" MacBook Pro.

HTH

moriond
    Thank you!! I had an idea that the size of the Synik 30 fits my use cases better, but really wanted it in black halcyon and it appears that it's only available with the Synik 22 now. Tough decision to make...Confused

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!! I had an idea that the size of the Synik 30 fits my use cases better, but really wanted it in black halcyon and it appears that it's only available with the Synik 22 now. Tough decision to make...Confused
    Black Halycon is in production in the 30: https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...15334842826815

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_binh_fan_824 View Post
    Black Halycon is in production in the 30: https://www.tombihn.com/products/syn...15334842826815
    I assume that the concern was over the “2 to 12 weeks” time estimate in the production time line for the Halcyon version. It’s actually always worth checking directly with customer support for more information; they can give a more exact estimate for bags in production and, if the model was previously offered, but sold out quickly, they might be able to tell you if one of these was returned and is available for purchase. Because of the easy return procedures for buyers in to U.S., and the long period for returns (60 days), some customers will order more than version of a bag to try out different materials and/or colors, and then return the bag version that they don’t select. (The simplicity in the return process via UPS is that you generate a return label that covers the return postage, seal the box and then drop it off with the label at UPS. You’re charged a flat $10 fee that is deducted from your reimbursement for the purchase, and that can work for multiple product returns sent back in the same box, as long as they’re all within the 60-day period and haven’t been used outside — only tested).

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_binh_fan_824 View Post
    Yay I'm a happy camper now Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I assume that the concern was over the “2 to 12 weeks” time estimate in the production time line for the Halcyon version. It’s actually always worth checking directly with customer support for more information; they can give a more exact estimate for bags in production and, if the model was previously offered, but sold out quickly, they might be able to tell you if one of these was returned and is available for purchase. Because of the easy return procedures for buyers in to U.S., and the long period for returns (60 days), some customers will order more than version of a bag to try out different materials and/or colors, and then return the bag version that they don’t select. (The simplicity in the return process via UPS is that you generate a return label that covers the return postage, seal the box and then drop it off with the label at UPS. You’re charged a flat $10 fee that is deducted from your reimbursement for the purchase, and that can work for multiple product returns sent back in the same box, as long as they’re all within the 60-day period and haven’t been used outside — only tested).

HTH

moriond
    For a while, it wasn't under "in production" and I remember seeing a post by Darcy saying that black halcyon would only be available sometime in the future for the 30. Thanks everyone for the help! Smilie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    How exactly are you holding it? for example, elbow back and thumb/forefinger hooked on the strap? Like this guy:
    That's just it - I'm trying to do it w/out hooking the thumb.... basically just using the elbow/shoulder to hold it back - seems to work with my Tumi bags and such.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and this is my first post.

I missed the Guide's edition preorders for the Synik. Does TB usually do more than one Guide's edition pre-order/sale?

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tofulosophy View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and this is my first post.

I missed the Guide's edition preorders for the Synik. Does TB usually do more than one Guide's edition pre-order/sale?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums, @tofulosophy ,

There's a January blog post up announcing the 2020 Guide's Edition Synapse Preorder. One of the questions in the FAQ is

Once this pre-order closes, will you offer the Guide's Edition Synapse and Syniks again?

Maybe, maybe not. At this point in time, with our limited production capacity and with the number of new designs that Tom and Nik are working on, we can't make any promises.

At the very least, we don't anticipate offering another Guide's Edition pre-order this year.
    I know that some folks have put in preorders for multiple bags, because the preorder colors include new colors in 525d Ballistic Nylon that haven't previously been made into bags, and they want the option of deciding. In those cases, they would have the option of returning the color(s) that they didn't want to keep, but I don't know what would happen to those bags.

Best guess is that there might be a future GE Synik preorder in the future, but there's not likely to be another one this year.

HTH

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome @tofulosophy

We actually have some extra Guide's Editions (we made some extras just to be safe + there's extras because of folks who changed the color of their pre-order). We have a list going of anyone who missed the pre-order window but is interested in ordering a Guide's Edition: emailus@tombihn.com to be added to that list. I expect we'll be able to email folks on that list as soon as tomorrow or Monday Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Welcome @tofulosophy

We actually have some extra Guide's Editions (we made some extras just to be safe + there's extras because of folks who changed the color of their pre-order). We have a list going of anyone who missed the pre-order window but is interested in ordering a Guide's Edition: emailus@tombihn.com to be added to that list. I expect we'll be able to email folks on that list as soon as tomorrow or Monday Smilie
    You better stop this madness right now... I'll be GLUED to my emails the next couple of days!

Big Grin Heart Eyes Backpack

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond , @Darcy !

I tried to like your posts but clicking on it only showed who else had liked it. I'm on a browser and perhaps it's a tapatalk feature. I'll learn these forums eventually. Big Grin

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlguy919 View Post
    You better stop this madness right now... I'll be GLUED to my emails the next couple of days!

Big Grin Heart Eyes Backpack
    Welcome to the Forums @kewiguy919 Smilie
    Hope you get one of the extra GE's
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning @Darcy

When all the extra GE Synik 30's are gone will you pretty pleasey let us know so I can stop obsessing over it and dig into my next choice? lol Smilie

Thank You!
    Forrest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my Synik 30 Guide's Edition in Ursa. It's really pretty. I think it's a bad move to not stock these and sell them regularly. It's that nice.

At least for me, I see this as a really nice upgrade from my Synapse 25. It just feels more expensive. I really do like the side loading laptop slot and it fits my laptop which is slightly larger than a Macbook Pro 16 just fine. The front/side pockets being enlarged really makes a difference too. The clam shell is great to since it has a side access slot. I typically don't like clam shells, because I've had one open up and my laptop fall out once. No issue with side loading.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast