Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am particularly interested in seeing how they made the clamshell opening work on this bag. All the pockets on the exterior allow you to load a lot of weight in the front/top half of the bag, especially if you have a full water bottle in the designated water bottle pocket.

Can you still open the bag easily without the other half pulling forward/up with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Will a Cache 15A work well in either Synik 22 or 30? My 15.6" gaming laptop (Lenovo Y540) is too big for the Synik's built-in laptop compartment. My laptop dimensions are 14.25" x 10.5625" x 1.1875". Kat at Tom Bihn recommended a Cache 15A for my laptop, which has internal dimensions of 15.24" x 10.67" x 1.10". (My laptop being a bit thicker at 1.1875" compared to the Cache 15A's 1.10" concerns me, but I am hoping it will fit).

2. Does the Synik 22/30 have a rail system to connect to the Caches that the Brain Bag has?

3. I am ready to order a backpack that will carry my gaming laptop and clothes/bathroom supplies for overnights during petsitting assignments. I plan to have a Cache 15A and Large Snake Charmer for the laptop's AC adapter. The Synik appeals to me because of the clamshell luggage-like design, making it easy to pack clothes. I was considering the Brain Bag, but am concerned that the Brain Bag is overly bulky for my needs. For my overnight packing trip needs with a 15.6" gaming laptop, would a Synik 22, Synik 30, or Brain Bag be best for me?

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious if a EC medium packing folder (17x12) fits nicely in the back meaning it doesn't push up against the zippers near the top. With the S25, it would press against the zippers near the top.

How about a TB WF large packing cube also? I could squeeze this in if I had to.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    Is there a list of color options that are expected? It may be buried in another thread and I just haven't found it yet...

Thanks!
    This is from Darcy in post #30.

"Hereís the full list:

Black 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Cloud 210 Ballistic
    Black 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Mars Red 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Aubergine 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Navy Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black 400 Halcyon/NW Sky 200 Halcyon"
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Kent, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any plans for Ultraviolet combos? Cloud/Neb Grey & UV and this would've been an insta pre-order. If UV is not on the cards at all for this bag until next year, might as well bite the bullet and pre order Neb grey and Island!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís Here!!!

I received my Synik 22 (S22 for short) earlier today and am pleased with the look of it. These are first impression pics and observations. Iíll give a more in-depth review once I have used it for a few days.

I had my husband whoís 5í11 1/2Ē, my middle son (5í10Ē) and my youngest son (5í5Ē) try it on to see how it would fit people of different sizes.

I also used my husbandís 13Ē MacBook Air to see how it fits in the laptop compartment.

Although there wasnít a problem placing the laptop in the compartment, I did have a slight problem taking it out using the side zipper. I would suggest maybe widening the opening by 1/4 to a 1/2 inch so that you donít have to struggle to retrieve it.

Since I own an 11Ē iPad Pro, I wanted to see how it would fit in the compartment. Mind you, I have it encased in an Otterbox Defender. It went in easily and I was able to retrieve it from the side zipper with no problems.

I did a size comparison between the S22 and my L12 (my usual EDC) so I could compare the straps and how it feels loaded up. Was surprised to find out that my L12 could actually fit inside the S22.

A couple of features that I absolutely love are the straps and the handle. The straps on the S22 are nice and beefy...the best Iíve seen on a backpack. My husband said they were VERY comfortable...so much so that he keeps trying to take the pack for himself (not happening; told him heíll have to buy his own). The handle is comfortable and easy to hold/grab. Reminds me of the side handles of the NFTD.

So far I think it is a solidly made bag. Iím looking forward to using it and feel that it will solve the problem I had with my L12 regarding space. Although I havenít own a Synapse in awhile, Iím definitely getting S25 vibes from this pack only wider. My husband loves the luggage pass-through feature but feels the S30 would be better suited for extensive travel (he travels ALOT).

"Go forward and never lose sight of your dreams."

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received mine today.

My first thought is that you can see the DNA of the original Synapse carried through this design, and the changing needs of people in their day to day and -- especially -- travel carry. This was also true with the 25 and the changes carried down to the 19, but having another answer for "modern every day bag" is bringing them all back to light again for me.

I really like the internal laptop sleeve: it fits my daily driver 2017 13" tbMBP very well, and the side access is great. The bottom outer pocket seems to hold slightly less than my 19 -- usually I keep a rain shell in it, and it's a slightly tighter fit in the Synik.

I'll more thoughts later, but for someone like me who generally travels with a load that fits comfortably in the Synapse 19 the Synik 22 feels like that bag, plus, rather than a compromise of the Synapse 25.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is going to be a price difference, and it will be more than that. More build goes into the Synik back panel and Edgeless shoulder straps than the existing Synapse back panel and shoulder straps ó and the Synik has a full-length clamshell YKK Aquaguard zipper, an additional exterior YKK Aquaguard zipper, the new top grab handle, included tie-down straps, a padded bottom. The Synik includes a laptop compartment and a frame whereas both are optional additional costs with the Synapse.
    Ouch, this is going to hurt. I guess not unexpected, but part of me hoped this might replace the Synapse, heh. I'm a bit torn since I just noticed wearing on the inside of my S25 Frown

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.n View Post
    Ouch, this is going to hurt. I guess not unexpected, but part of me hoped this might replace the Synapse, heh. I'm a bit torn since I just noticed wearing on the inside of my S25 Frown
    After playing with this Synik 22, I say go for it. Itís very much Synapse-like with some cool upgrades.

SE (2), SC, DLBP (2), Swift, LS, Spiff Kit, SK, SCB, MCB, LCB, LSB, SSB (2), PT, FJN (2), Pilot, BB, Synik 22, Strap Keepers, Synik 30, TT (6), TSS (lots), COW, PCSB, 3DOC (2), Smart Alec, Cubelet, Pocket Pouch, GWP and other pouches/cubes

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    After playing with this Synik 22, I say go for it. It’s very much Synapse-like with some cool upgrades.
    Agreed. After checking out the Synik 30 today, it'd be hard for me to recommend a Synapse to someone who's looking to make a purchase- whether it be a replacement or a new addition. In my opinion, anything the Synapse can do, the Synik can do equally well or better.

I've always loved my Synapses but have also felt that they can be improved quite a bit. This new model tackles many of the areas that I was hoping could be revised. Even if you don't use any of the updated features, the bag can still act exactly as its predecessor. Don't need to open the bag completely with the clamshell zip? That's fine, open it however you like, but at least you have the option. Not carrying a laptop? No biggy, the sleeve is completely unobtrusive. It's also nice having the frame designed into the back panel rather than adding it to the interior space.

I can understand the preference for a smaller bag, so the S19 still holds true as a smaller yet very functional backpack, and mayyybe the S25 can fit the in-between niche for size and weight between the two new models. But personally, I think the flexibility and slight boost in volume of the Syniks really hits home. The 30L will take over as my travel backpack, and I'm sure I'll end up snagging a 22L for around-town duties in the future (Guide Edition on the 22 as well please?)

More in-depth review and photos to follow after some use.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tuskegee7294, thanks for the amazing pictures!
    Since you carry the Luminary 12, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the weight difference between the two backpacks after a few days of trying out the Synik 22.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    After playing with this Synik 22, I say go for it. It’s very much Synapse-like with some cool upgrades.
    No doubt, but some of the extras are lost on me (pass through, side access laptop, extra O ring points). I would have rather less material to get down closer to the Synapse pricing. If could travel super light, the S30 might be appealing to do super daily/travel combo, heh.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one complaint about the Synapse 25 is the straps arenít comfortable for long time periods if itís full or near full.

I love the Synapse, but the straps needed improvement. For those who are using the Synik, is the difference in strap comfort significant?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one complaint about the Synapse 25 is the straps aren’t comfortable for long time periods if it’s full or near full.

I love the Synapse, but the straps needed improvement. For those who are using the Synik, is the difference in strap comfort significant?
    I've never had an issue with the current Synapse straps, but the new version used on the Syniks is noticeably cushier, so I think you'll be pleased with them.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one complaint about the Synapse 25 is the straps arenít comfortable for long time periods if itís full or near full.

Vastly different! The straps are nice and thick and super comfortable especially compared to other packs. I thought the straps on the L12 were nice but these surpass it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast