Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 447
  1. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pure5152 View Post
    Hey Darcy, thanks for the great answers! Would it be possible to actually buy the bag without an internal frame? I already have a synapse 19 that I already bought an internal frame for, and I heard you can transfer the frame to the synik 22 with no issues - is that true?
    I also second this question as a person with the Synapse 25 frame sheet. The review video I've seen said it was optional and the frames were interchangeable. I would just like to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding something. Thanks for the great work over the years!

  2. #77
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,293
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pure5152 View Post
    Hey Darcy, thanks for the great answers! Would it be possible to actually buy the bag without an internal frame? I already have a synapse 19 that I already bought an internal frame for, and I heard you can transfer the frame to the synik 22 with no issues - is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by bogi View Post
    I also second this question as a person with the Synapse 25 frame sheet. The review video I've seen said it was optional and the frames were interchangeable. I would just like to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding something. Thanks for the great work over the years!
    I wouldnít say they are interchangeable. You can put the S25 frame in the frame compartment of the Synik30, however, the frame compartment is also the luggage pass through and as such it needs to have a wide enough opening to accommodate luggage handles. The S25 frame is very close to the width of a luggage handle and it feels like it might fall out the bottom. Putting the S25 frame in the laptop compartment raises it up since the laptop compartment is suspended, and changes where the frame is along the back of the bag. Also you may not want those metal t-bar ends near your laptop.

    I believe the narrow width of the S19/S25 frame is one reason why theyíve made the Synik frame the way it is and possibly why it is included with the bag though I canít speak to internal TB processes.

  3. #78
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been here for a while. Synik 30 is my dream bag. Currently using my Synapse 25 as an EDC and used as my personal/carryon while traveling ever since I bought it in Nov 2014 (wow, didn't realize it has been almost 5 years now...I checked my old emails when I purchased it). My Black Dyneema/Iberian interior is so well used it kind of has a very worn out look to it.

    And now it is time to upgrade! Talk about perfect timing. Well, kind of since it's not yet available. But I want the "Black 400 Halcyon/NW Sky 200 Halcyon" in Synik 30!!!!! I need to set my alarm for August 13th. So what time will it be available? I want to make sure I get one in time for my November trip!!! Crossing fingers.

    All the extras are what I've always wanted. Well, I can do without the built-in laptop compartment since I no longer carry a laptop or tablet while traveling. But I can put a book or folder in there. But everything else...woo hoo! I literally squealed at work and had to try to explain why I was giddy about a backpack without sounding/looking weird about it. At least one of my coworker understood since he is a TB fan also (more on messenger style bags).

  4. #79
    Forum Member Rei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    224
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Itís Here!!!

    I received my Synik 22 (S22 for short) earlier today and am pleased with the look of it. These are first impression pics and observations. Iíll give a more in-depth review once I have used it for a few days.

    [...]
    thanks a lot for the photos!!

    I wondered if the Sn22 would please me since the size is appealing, and I think now I won't take it, I am one of these weirdos who prefer round shapes over boxy kind of bags (especially for daily backpacks), plus I am petite it would really look weird on me x,D

    now what about the Sn33? decision...
    just a Bihnion here

  5. #80
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Share
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    After playing with this Synik 22, I say go for it. Itís very much Synapse-like with some cool upgrades.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the photos, tuskegee7294! Really helps visualize the size to see it being worn. I'll be curious to see how the official measurements come in, to compare it to the Synapse 19!

  6. #81
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Florida, US
    Posts
    224
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that worries me a bit about this design is that the laptop is sharing the same space as the main compartment. So if your main compartment is full, it's probably a pain to pull your laptop out. I have a somewhat chunky (by today's standards) 15in work issued Dell laptop and know I won't be able to use that side access pocket. I also worry that the laptop will either end up being squished in there by the stuff stacked on top of it or it will protrude too much into the main compartment which cuts down on the packing space.

    I'm really liking the design of the two compartment brain bag where each has its own dimension and space so I can put my laptop in one and my other stuff in the other and they don't interfere with each other or fight for space. If TB had a dedicated laptop compartment in a bag, I was hoping it would be similar to that.

    Also, I'm still not sure about how well clamshell will work for edc. If you're not traveling, you probably don't use packing cubes. Instead, you probably have notebooks, papers, headphones and small stuff that you throw into your main compartment. It doesn't seem that this packing style lends well to clamshell.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nolegrl; 07-26-2019 at 06:23 AM.

  7. #82
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    30
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy,

    If I place a pre-order for the bag in the same order as a bunch of other stuff, how will shipping work? I assume you would ship the in stock stuff right away, and the Synik when ready? And if that's the case, would I be charged both times for shipping?

    In a world of free shipping elsewhere I get bugged by the $10 shipping fee, so I would wait a week to order all this other stuff if it saves me $10.

  8. #83
    Forum Member Rei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    224
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    The thing that worries me a bit about this design is that the laptop is sharing the same space as the main compartment. So if your main compartment is full, it's probably a pain to pull your laptop out. I have a somewhat chunky (by today's standards) 15in work issued Dell laptop and know I won't be able to use that side access pocket. I also worry that the laptop will either end up being squished in there by the stuff stacked on top of it or it will protrude too much into the main compartment which cuts down on the packing space.

    I'm really liking the design of the two compartment brain bag where each has its own dimension and space so I can put my laptop in one and my other stuff in the other and they don't interfere with each other or fight for space. If TB had a dedicated laptop compartment in a bag, I was hoping it would be similar to that.

    Also, I'm still not sure about how well clamshell will work for edc. If you're not traveling, you probably don't use packing cubes. Instead, you probably have notebooks, papers, headphones and small stuff that you throw into your main compartment. It doesn't seem that this packing style lends well to clamshell.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I agree,
    I think the clamshell combo + dedicated laptop is more interesting for a digital nomad than for a regular worker

    I am more in onebag travel/hiking so I also don't really need them (but it is still appealing though )
    just a Bihnion here

  9. #84
    Forum Member Rei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    224
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    Darcy,

    If I place a pre-order for the bag in the same order as a bunch of other stuff, how will shipping work? I assume you would ship the in stock stuff right away, and the Synik when ready? And if that's the case, would I be charged both times for shipping?

    In a world of free shipping elsewhere I get bugged by the $10 shipping fee, so I would wait a week to order all this other stuff if it saves me $10.
    I did order several stuff for Guide Edition Synapse as Pre-order, everything (even stuff added after the pre-order validation -but before shipping notification obviously-) has been sent at the same time in the pre-order shipping (and I do live far, so yes it is very important for me). So you need to wait, but dont have to pay twice the shipping
    just a Bihnion here

  10. #85
    Forum Member ButtUglyJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Share
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    112
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit of a cynic about the Synik, when I first heard about it... "A clam shell Synapse"... I get that feature is super appreciated by many many people.

    But... I suffer from a little talked about disease; LZS (or Lazy Zippering Syndrone for the uneducated). As a sufferer of LZS, I often don't zipper bags all the way shut. Then out of forgetfulness put the backpack on and walk away, or pick it up to move it. In the past any clam shell I used, zippers would shift under the load and things tend to fall out. (to be fair, these bags were of inferior quality and didn't have the beefy YKK zippers that Tom Bihn consistently uses). But the Synapse (and now my new Luminary 15), can overcome this laziness/forgetfulness I seem to have.

    I'm concerned about the Synik. And I want to ask the early testing team (damn you Countron, my nemesis) to test out how well a loaded out Synik, half zipped, holds up under movement. Thanks everyone for your attention...

  11. #86
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,958
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a hilarious post!
    Yes, I see people walking around all the time with half-opened backpacks, and sometimes I can't even stop myself from intervening when I see that a wallet or phone is obviously about to fall out.

    I am one of the testers, because Countron inexplicably favored me. I will try to see if I can find a way to answer your question, with photos. I will say, after a day of use, that the clamshell design doesn't really make me feel insecure about my stuff. The zippers are VERY solid, and it seems unlikely that in day-to-day use, I would unzip either side far enough to cause a potential problem. I guess it could happen if you unzipped it completely to pack for a trip or something, but then you'd probably lay it flat, and it seems like an unlikely scenario that someone would not close it before picking it back up.

    Anyway, this is a good question to answer, and one that seems to be a concern for a few people.

    Beth



    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    I was a bit of a cynic about the Synik, when I first heard about it... "A clam shell Synapse"... I get that feature is super appreciated by many many people.

    But... I suffer from a little talked about disease; LZS (or Lazy Zippering Syndrone for the uneducated). As a sufferer of LZS, I often don't zipper bags all the way shut. Then out of forgetfulness put the backpack on and walk away, or pick it up to move it. In the past any clam shell I used, zippers would shift under the load and things tend to fall out. (to be fair, these bags were of inferior quality and didn't have the beefy YKK zippers that Tom Bihn consistently uses). But the Synapse (and now my new Luminary 15), can overcome this laziness/forgetfulness I seem to have.

    I'm concerned about the Synik. And I want to ask the early testing team (damn you Countron, my nemesis) to test out how well a loaded out Synik, half zipped, holds up under movement. Thanks everyone for your attention...
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  12. #87
    Forum Member tuskegee7294's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Georgia
    Posts
    197
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    thanks a lot for the photos!!

    I wondered if the Sn22 would please me since the size is appealing, and I think now I won't take it, I am one of these weirdos who prefer round shapes over boxy kind of bags (especially for daily backpacks), plus I am petite it would really look weird on me x,D

    now what about the Sn33? decision...
    Itís not too boxy once you start playing with it. At first it did seem to look a little weird but once I started packing it with stuff it started to look like the Synapse only a little wider.



    The frame sheet helps it stand on its own (love that feature).




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

    LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

  13. #88
    Forum Member tuskegee7294's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Georgia
    Posts
    197
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    I was a bit of a cynic about the Synik, when I first heard about it... "A clam shell Synapse"... I get that feature is super appreciated by many many people.

    But... I suffer from a little talked about disease; LZS (or Lazy Zippering Syndrone for the uneducated). As a sufferer of LZS, I often don't zipper bags all the way shut. Then out of forgetfulness put the backpack on and walk away, or pick it up to move it. In the past any clam shell I used, zippers would shift under the load and things tend to fall out. (to be fair, these bags were of inferior quality and didn't have the beefy YKK zippers that Tom Bihn consistently uses). But the Synapse (and now my new Luminary 15), can overcome this laziness/forgetfulness I seem to have.

    I'm concerned about the Synik. And I want to ask the early testing team (damn you Countron, my nemesis) to test out how well a loaded out Synik, half zipped, holds up under movement. Thanks everyone for your attention...
    Maybe over time the zippers might loosen up but as of right now these puppies donít move unless you move them. Iíll load mine later today and walk around to do a complete test of this theory but I had it opened a little bit while using it and the zippers stayed in the same spot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

    LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

  14. #89
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Share
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    12
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    It’s not too boxy once you start playing with it. At first it did seem to look a little weird but once I started packing it with stuff it started to look like the Synapse only a little wider.

    The frame sheet helps it stand on its own (love that feature).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is how I felt about the Synapse as well - it was 'boxy' at first, but once you put some stuff in there to help build it's shape, it narrowed out a little bit; glad to hear the same magic is worked here!

  15. #90
    Forum Member Rei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    224
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    It’s not too boxy once you start playing with it. At first it did seem to look a little weird but once I started packing it with stuff it started to look like the Synapse only a little wider.

    [...]
    Yes, thanks,
    I did watch some reviews videos (shared on TB twitter) which show that,
    for daily backpack (22L) I think it will still a little too boxy for my liking though
    just a Bihnion here

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •