Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question for the Synik reviewers. If you leave the main compartment empty, does the bag look shallower? IOW can you compress it to make it slimmer and more likely to fit the strict dimensions of some of the International airlines?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    question for the Synik reviewers. If you leave the main compartment empty, does the bag look shallower? IOW can you compress it to make it slimmer and more likely to fit the strict dimensions of some of the International airlines?
    Yes, it gets relatively flat if there's nothing in it. Of course it gets wider when you flatten it (imagine a circle flattening into an oval--that's an exaggeration but it gives you the idea). My Synik 22 with nothing in it, compressed by nothing but gravity, is about 5" thick at the thickest point but since that allows the fabric in the sides of the bag to slump outward it's now about 14" wide. With the bag full I think it's closer to 11.5" wide.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    I love the Synapse, but the straps needed improvement. For those who are using the Synik, is the difference in strap comfort significant?
    The straps are like night and day. The new straps are awesome on my S22ís.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    The straps are like night and day. The new straps are awesome on my S22’s.
    You realize you just cost me $300?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the comprehensive review, tuskegee7294!

The pictures of your husband and two sons wearing the S22 are especially helpful.

Thank you for testing the 13” MacBook Air and the iPad Pro in its Otterbox Defender. 13" laptops are the smallest, I think, so the fact that the side opening was a tight squeeze seems problematic. Your suggestion of widening the opening by 1/4 to a 1/2 inch is spot on.
    Like you, I encase my tablet and phone in beefy outer boxes.

I also love to see the L12 inside the S22, it gives me an idea of the S22 profile.

Your close ups and detailed descriptions of the S22 new features are wonderful!
    Last edited by backpack; 07-26-2019 at 11:34 AM.

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers

I am one of the testers and I received my Synik 30 yesterday evening. Immediately I was putting it to test. Color is Nebulous Grey and Wasabi (pics below).

Here are some quick impressions/realizations before I will post my initial in-depth more comprehensive review next week.

1) Just opening the zipper half way (with the versatility of the clamshell opening) makes it even easier to see inside due to the increased depth (compared to the S25). It will take some getting used to of where to stop the zippers at the ideal point.

2) I was able to fit a Halcyon Side Effect (filled out) in one of the front curved side pockets of the Synik 30. Wow. I could not do that in my S25 (a more recent end-of-2018 version, but not the absolute latest).

3) I can fit both my 15Ē MacBook Pro Retina (no sleeve) plus my 12.9 iPad Pro 2018 (with Smart Cover) inside the laptop compartment and access either one from the side opening zipper. You will have to learn the ďritualĒ of how to get a bigger computer in and out of the side zipper opening. Then itís a breeze.

4) A Brain Bag Freudian Slip fits in the main compartment now - this gives an idea of how, at the top, the dimensions have squared off a bit in the Synik 30.

5) The softer straps are a big upgrade for me because they donít trigger certain pressure points in my shoulder when carrying a large heavy load when compared to a similar load out in my S25. Also, it seems like the center of gravity (for lack of a better description) has changed in the Synik 30 so it feels easier to carry a heavy load even though this bag is heavier overall.

6) If you thought the S25 was too big for EDC, then this bag would feel even bigger. Naturally. I think my impression of the Synik 30 feeling a lot bigger has to do with the full clamshell opening and realizing just how much you can fit inside there. But I will test different load outs to see how well this bag compresses when not carrying so much or carrying very little.

7) I feel I can use this bag for many more occasions compared to the S25.

Here are some pics (Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic and Wasabi 200d Halcyon)...

A small load out with just my laptop, Side Effect in bottom front pocket, and MCB FS in main compartment. Iím 5í8.5Ē and 21Ē torso length.

A small load out with just my laptop, Side Effect in bottom front pocket, and MCB FS in main compartment. Iím 5í8.5Ē and 21Ē torso length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by imagineez; 07-26-2019 at 12:44 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelGearJunkie View Post
    Darcy, I have no need for fat, round side pockets. I love the idea of the centered water bottle pockets, but it splits the front panel in two pockets that I can't fit a tablet or Kindle into and frankly, I have no use for them. I take 1 medium and 1-2 small EC cubes, one pair of flat shoes, a XS EC cube for toiletries, a kindle or 8" tablet, wallet, cell, keys and charging cords. Sometimes a laptop, maybe a water bottle. I like the concept of the back and bottom but the top front just is wasted space for my usage.
    Noted! Sounds like the configuration of the Synapse pockets doesn’t work for what you need to carry. To us, the front face of the Synapse/Synik and its pockets are part of what really makes it a Synapse/Synik. I don’t think we will change those things — but we will come out with more/different designs over the years that might better fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by pure5152 View Post
    Hey Darcy, thanks for the great answers! Would it be possible to actually buy the bag without an internal frame? I already have a synapse 19 that I already bought an internal frame for, and I heard you can transfer the frame to the synik 22 with no issues - is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by bogi View Post
    I also second this question as a person with the Synapse 25 frame sheet. The review video I've seen said it was optional and the frames were interchangeable. I would just like to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding something. Thanks for the great work over the years!
    Thank you guys for asking such good questions. I’m writing the Synik FAQ right now and it helps that process to answer these questions as they come in.

We’ve discussed whether or not to include the internal frame quite a bit — we even recently revisited that question. Originally, our plan was to make the internal frame optional because we hoped that the Synapse 25 or Synapse 19 internal frames would work with the Synik 30 and Synik 22 respectively — however, when we put the Synapse frames in the Syniks, we found that to be, at best, a kludgy hack. It just didn’t work that well for some of the reasons @Cristina mentioned, and we didn’t/don’t feel comfortable recommending it as an option.

Additionally, we ultimately determined that the majority of people will want to use the internal frame in the Synik: it provides extra stability that aids in the suspension of the laptop compartment and acts as a barrier between the handle of rolling luggage and the laptop compartment.

So: the internal frame will be included with the Synik.

Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    When it comes to the depth, do you have the ext. measurments for the new packs already?
    Synik 22: 11.4″ x 16.0″ x 9.4″ / 390mm x 410mm x 240mm (width x height x depth)
    Synik 30: 13.4″ x 20.0″ x 10.8″ / 340mm x 508mm x 275mm (width x height x depth)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I am particularly interested in seeing how they made the clamshell opening work on this bag. All the pockets on the exterior allow you to load a lot of weight in the front/top half of the bag, especially if you have a full water bottle in the designated water bottle pocket.

Can you still open the bag easily without the other half pulling forward/up with it?
    If I’m understanding correctly — I tested this myself and if the front exterior pockets are fully and heavily loaded (two water bottle pockets, various other items) and the main compartment is empty, it does feel like the front face of the bag wants to fall forward a bit as I unzip it — but the zippers don’t open any further by themselves, and this didn’t seem like it was a problem to me. Maybe some of the Forum reviewers can try this out too?

Or, do you mean if the front exterior pockets are fully loaded and the back is on its back and you want to open it clamshell-style, does the front half of the bag pull the back of the bag up? The answer to that is no -- as long as the clamshell zipper is fully unzipped.

Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    1. Will a Cache 15A work well in either Synik 22 or 30? My 15.6" gaming laptop (Lenovo Y540) is too big for the Synik's built-in laptop compartment. My laptop dimensions are 14.25" x 10.5625" x 1.1875". Kat at Tom Bihn recommended a Cache 15A for my laptop, which has internal dimensions of 15.24" x 10.67" x 1.10". (My laptop being a bit thicker at 1.1875" compared to the Cache 15A's 1.10" concerns me, but I am hoping it will fit).

2. Does the Synik 22/30 have a rail system to connect to the Caches that the Brain Bag has?

3. I am ready to order a backpack that will carry my gaming laptop and clothes/bathroom supplies for overnights during petsitting assignments. I plan to have a Cache 15A and Large Snake Charmer for the laptop's AC adapter. The Synik appeals to me because of the clamshell luggage-like design, making it easy to pack clothes. I was considering the Brain Bag, but am concerned that the Brain Bag is overly bulky for my needs. For my overnight packing trip needs with a 15.6" gaming laptop, would a Synik 22, Synik 30, or Brain Bag be best for me?
    1. The Cache 15A will fit in the main compartment (not the laptop compartment) of the Synik 30, but not the 22. And I do think your Lenovo Y540 will fit in the 15A.
    2. Yes. There’s one set of rail loops in the Synik; they are above the open-top pocket that’s in the main compartment on the back side of the front face of the bag (directly opposite the built-in laptop compartment.)
    3. Sounds like a fun job I’d say either the Synik 30 or the Brain Bag. And for overnights, you probably don’t need as much capacity as the Brain Bag offers.

Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    Curious if a EC medium packing folder (17x12) fits nicely in the back meaning it doesn't push up against the zippers near the top. With the S25, it would press against the zippers near the top.

How about a TB WF large packing cube also? I could squeeze this in if I had to.
    I think the fit of the EC folder will be the same in the Synik 30 as the Synapse 25. Maybe one of the Forum reviewers has EC packing folders and can test this out?

The Western Flyer Large Packing Cube (and Packing Cube Backpack!) does fit in the Synik 30. In fact, Nik took a Western Flyer PCBP in his Synik 30 on a test trip w/the bag in April… we’ve got some photos of that somewhere, let me look for those.

Quote Originally Posted by abiartemis View Post
    Any plans for Ultraviolet combos? Cloud/Neb Grey & UV and this would've been an insta pre-order. If UV is not on the cards at all for this bag until next year, might as well bite the bullet and pre order Neb grey and Island!
    No UV combinations are in the cards this year. Maybe next year if there’s enough requests.

Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    The thing that worries me a bit about this design is that the laptop is sharing the same space as the main compartment. So if your main compartment is full, it's probably a pain to pull your laptop out.
    If your Synik is stuffed full, it will be more difficult to pull your laptop out. The laptop compartment works best with a reasonably packed, but not overstuffed, Synik. We will make sure in the Synik description that people are aware of this.

The thing is — to prevent that from happening, the bag would need an effectively rigid laptop compartment that would require more bulk, weight, and build. It might even start to feel overbuilt and overly complex, and to us that just didn’t fit with the overall intent of the Synapse/Synik.

We felt it best to avoid all of that and counsel people to avoid overpacking their bag if they want the laptop compartment to work smoothly — it may also just result in an overall better packing/use experience of various features of the bag. And the 3 extra liters of the 22 / 5 extra liters of the 30 helped at least us avoid overpacking our Syniks

Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    Darcy,

If I place a pre-order for the bag in the same order as a bunch of other stuff, how will shipping work? I assume you would ship the in stock stuff right away, and the Synik when ready? And if that's the case, would I be charged both times for shipping?

In a world of free shipping elsewhere I get bugged by the $10 shipping fee, so I would wait a week to order all this other stuff if it saves me $10.
    @Rei shared some about this (thanks!)

It’s up to you whether the in-stock items ship right away or are held to be shipped with the pre-order, and we do charge shipping twice in the case of the former.

I know, free shipping is pretty common nowadays (I’d say half of the places I shop with have it; the smaller stores often don’t). Worth noting that $10 is less than it actually costs and we cover the costs of the carbon offsets to make it carbon neutral shipping.

Here’s the official word from our pre-order FAQ:
    https://blog.tombihn.com/pre-orders#instock

Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff View Post
    But... I suffer from a little talked about disease; LZS (or Lazy Zippering Syndrone for the uneducated). As a sufferer of LZS, I often don't zipper bags all the way shut. Then out of forgetfulness put the backpack on and walk away, or pick it up to move it. In the past any clam shell I used, zippers would shift under the load and things tend to fall out. (to be fair, these bags were of inferior quality and didn't have the beefy YKK zippers that Tom Bihn consistently uses). But the Synapse (and now my new Luminary 15), can overcome this laziness/forgetfulness I seem to have.
    We totally get your concern: we shared it too. In our testing, our zippers never shifted open on their own -- but we look forward to hearing what @bchaplin @tuskegee7294*and others experience. We all use bags in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    I also used my husband’s 13” MacBook Air to see how it fits in the laptop compartment.
    Although there wasn’t a problem placing the laptop in the compartment, I did have a slight problem taking it out using the side zipper. I would suggest maybe widening the opening by 1/4 to a 1/2 inch so that you don’t have to struggle to retrieve it.

Since I own an 11” iPad Pro, I wanted to see how it would fit in the compartment. Mind you, I have it encased in an Otterbox Defender. It went in easily and I was able to retrieve it from the side zipper with no problems.
    k
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Thank you for testing the 13” MacBook Air and the iPad Pro in its Otterbox Defender. 13" laptops are the smallest, I think, so the fact that the side opening was a tight squeeze seems problematic. Your suggestion of widening the opening by 1/4 to a 1/2 inch is spot on.
    Good news about the 11” iPad Pro with the case being able to fit!

I have a (older) 13” MacBook Air and while I can get it in the Synik 22, I wouldn’t recommend that / we won’t recommend people try to fit one in there. It’s just a little too big to fit -- the bezel around the screen of the older 13" MacBook Air is over 1/2" on each side, which ends up making it rather large for a 13" laptop. A more modern bezel is about 1/4" or less. Laptops the size of the 2015-and-later 13” MacBook Pro or the newer 13" Air Retina will fit just fine.

To make the length of the opening of the exterior access laptop compartment longer, we would have needed to make the entire Synik 22 taller — and then it wouldn’t have fit those who are shorter in height as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post
    I am also curious to know how the laptop compartment sizes compare to the ones in the Luminaries? Will my S22 basically work like my L15, or would I need an S30 to get enough height to fit the same laptop?
    That’s a great question. The Synik 22 will basically work like your L15 — the length of the opening of the exterior device pocket is the nearly same on both bags. So, any device that fits in the Luminary 15 should also fit in the Synik 22.
    Last edited by Darcy; 07-26-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed dimensions
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question on the dimension measurements, and please excuse my innocence here - how is depth measured? I assume it's the depth of the pack when fully loaded?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, thank you very much for answering my questions about the Cache 15A fitting in the Synik 30. I plan to pre-order a Synik 30.

Will a Cache 15A and a Synik 30 Freudian Slip both fit comfortably and be usable inside the Synik 30's main compartment? Or do you recommend skipping the Freudian Slip if the Cache 15A will always be in my Synik 30?

Of the pre-order color options, are there any choices that will increase the chances of receiving a pre-production batch bag?

Black 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Black 525 Ballistic/Cloud 210 Ballistic
    Black 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Dawn 210 Ballistic
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Wasabi 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Iberian 200 Halcyon
    Deep Blue 525 Ballistic/Coyote 210 Ballistic
    Mars Red 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Aubergine 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Burnt Orange 525 Ballistic/NW Sky 200 Halcyon
    Navy Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black Parapack/Steel Parapack
    Black 400 Halcyon/NW Sky 200 Halcyon

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post

Aaaaaaand now I'm sold on this color combo. Sleek on the outside, pop of fun on the inside.

Looking forward to your updates -- and if the husband decides to spring for the S30!

Edited to add: thanks especially for the comparison to the L12. I love knowing how other bags and pouches fit. If you or any other reviewers have, like, PCSBs or SEs or SSs to compare, that would be lovely to see, too. :-)

Georgia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Noted! Sounds like the configuration of the Synapse pockets doesnít work for what you need to carry. To us, the front face of the Synapse/Synik and its pockets are part of what really makes it a Synapse/Synik. I donít think we will change those things ó but we will come out with more/different designs over the years that might better fit your needs.

Thank you guys for asking such good questions. Iím writing the Synik FAQ right now and it helps that process to answer these questions as they come in.

Weíve discussed whether or not to include the internal frame quite a bit ó we even recently revisited that question. Originally, our plan was to make the internal frame optional because we hoped that the Synapse 25 or Synapse 19 internal frames would work with the Synik 30 and Synik 22 respectively ó however, when we put the Synapse frames in the Syniks, we found that to be, at best, a kludgy hack. It just didnít work that well for some of the reasons @Cristina mentioned, and we didnít/donít feel comfortable recommending it as an option.

Additionally, we ultimately determined that the majority of people will want to use the internal frame in the Synik: it provides extra stability that aids in the suspension of the laptop compartment and acts as a barrier between the handle of rolling luggage and the laptop compartment.

Synik 22: 11.4″ x 16.0″ x 9.4″ / 390mm x 490mm x 240mm (width x height x depth)
    Synik 30: 13.4″ x 20.0″ x 10.8″ / 340mm x 508mm x 275mm (width x height x depth)

If Iím understanding correctly ó I tested this myself and if the front exterior pockets are fully and heavily loaded (two water bottle pockets, various other items) and the main compartment is empty, it does feel like the front face of the bag wants to fall forward a bit as I unzip it ó but the zippers donít open any further by themselves, and this didnít seem like it was a problem to me. Maybe some of the Forum reviewers can try this out too?

Or, do you mean if the front exterior pockets are fully loaded and the back is on its back and you want to open it clamshell-style, does the front half of the bag pull the back of the bag up? The answer to that is no -- as long as the clamshell zipper is fully unzipped.

1. The Cache 15A will fit in the main compartment (not the laptop compartment) of the Synik 30, but not the 22. And I do think your Lenovo Y540 will fit in the 15A.
    2. Yes. Thereís one set of rail loops in the Synik; they are above the open-top pocket thatís in the main compartment on the back side of the front face of the bag (directly opposite the built-in laptop compartment.)
    3. Sounds like a fun job Iíd say either the Synik 30 or the Brain Bag. And for overnights, you probably donít need as much capacity as the Brain Bag offers.

I think the fit of the EC folder will be the same in the Synik 30 as the Synapse 25. Maybe one of the Forum reviewers has EC packing folders and can test this out?

The Western Flyer Large Packing Cube (and Packing Cube Backpack!) does fit in the Synik 30. In fact, Nik took a Western Flyer PCBP in his Synik 30 on a test trip w/the bag in AprilÖ weíve got some photos of that somewhere, let me look for those.

No UV combinations are in the cards this year. Maybe next year if thereís enough requests.

If your Synik is stuffed full, it will be more difficult to pull your laptop out. The laptop compartment works best with a reasonably packed, but not overstuffed, Synik. We will make sure in the Synik description that people are aware of this.

The thing is ó to prevent that from happening, the bag would need an effectively rigid laptop compartment that would require more bulk, weight, and build. It might even start to feel overbuilt and overly complex, and to us that just didnít fit with the overall intent of the Synapse/Synik.

We felt it best to avoid all of that and counsel people to avoid overpacking their bag if they want the laptop compartment to work smoothly ó it may also just result in an overall better packing/use experience of various features of the bag. And the 3 extra liters of the 22 / 5 extra liters of the 30 helped at least us avoid overpacking our Syniks

Itís up to you whether the in-stock items ship right away or are held to be shipped with the pre-order, and we do charge shipping twice in the case of the former.

I know, free shipping is pretty common nowadays (Iíd say half of the places I shop with have it; the smaller stores often donít). Worth noting that $10 is less than it actually costs and we cover the costs of the carbon offsets to make it carbon neutral shipping.

Hereís the official word from our pre-order FAQ:

We totally get your concern: we shared it too. In our testing, our zippers never shifted open on their own -- but we look forward to hearing what @bchaplin @tuskegee7294*and others experience. We all use bags in different ways.

Good news about the 11Ē iPad Pro with the case being able to fit!

I have a (older) 13Ē MacBook Air and while I can get it in the Synik 22, I wouldnít recommend that / we wonít recommend people try to fit one in there. Itís just a little too big to fit -- the bezel around the screen of the older 13" MacBook Air is over 1/2" on each side, which ends up making it rather large for a 13" laptop. A more modern bezel is about 1/4" or less. Laptops the size of the 2015-and-later 13Ē MacBook Pro or the newer 13" Air Retina will fit just fine.

To make the length of the opening of the exterior access laptop compartment longer, we would have needed to make the entire Synik 22 taller ó and then it wouldnít have fit those who are shorter in height as well.

Thatís a great question. The Synik 22 will basically work like your L15 ó the length of the opening of the exterior device pocket is the nearly same on both bags. So, any device that fits in the Luminary 15 should also fit in the Synik 22.
    Iíve had the S22 open at the top to see if the zipper shifted while using it; inside was my iPad Pro, Beats Studio 3ís (in the case), knitting, 18 oz Yeti (in the water bottle pocket), Side Effect (in the bottom pocket) and the zippers did not budge. I will try a heavier load and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB in Navy/Cayenne; MCB in Nordic/Wasabi; SSB in UV & Black Halcyon; LSB in Island Halcyon; Swift in Black/Steel; LS in Aubergine/Island; SE in Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; Pilot in Black/Wasabi; FJN in Grey & Navy; PCSB in Black Halcyon; TT in Monarch, Sitka, UV, Island, Wasabi & Black, L12: Nebulous Gray/Island and PT in Deep Blue.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my full text + a few picture review up here on my portfolio/blog.

For the TB forums, though, I wanted to cover a bit more about the bag and how I feel about it, as a supplementary to some degree.

To me, the Synik represents a bit of a different answer to the EDC + travel question that I had some years ago when I bought my Synapse 19. There's slightly (emphasis on *slightly*) less modularity here, especially in the main pocket; it's a good change, I think. But it also represents a bit of a shift away from this sort of luggage and travel gear being as niche as it was, to a more mainstream audience. I wonder how much more traffic TB gets nowadays, compared to the late 2000's/early 2010's.

One thing that I've noticed and haven't seen commented on much is the versatility a clamshell gives you, outside of just a suitcase-style packing ethos. For example, if you're a photographer, I could easily see either the Synik 22 or 30 being a really great photography focused bag: the clamshell gives you more than enough flexibility and room for either an APS-C or M4/3 setup (Sy22) and a mirrorless full-frame or medium format setup (Sy30). There's enough width to get a separate insert inside, and then a half zip of the opening gives you full access to your insert.

My other observation that hasn't been touched on much is the redesign of the center water bottle compartment. Moving from a cube shape with mesh sewn on either side, to a more cylindrical shape gives either side pocket quite a bit more room when there's not a large bottle in the center pocket. It's a bit difficult to get across in text, but it's a wonderful bit of very clever design to make an already great idea even better (TB in a nutshell since I've been buying their products).

It's a wonderful bag, but like I stress in my review I don't think it supplants the corresponding Synapse version. To me, they represent two answers to the same question -- neither are wrong, they just might resonate more with different groups of folks.

Sorry if this review seems to have more trepidation than most. I've written 4 bag reviews in the past 10 years and usually I wait at least a few months of hard use before I really talk about anything. I feel confident in the broad strokes of the TB product line, though, so I'm comfortable giving the Sy22 a hard recommend to any TB fan.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Noted! Sounds like the configuration of the Synapse pockets doesnít work for what you need to carry. To us, the front face of the Synapse/Synik and its pockets are part of what really makes it a Synapse/Synik. I donít think we will change those things ó but we will come out with more/different designs over the years that might better fit your needs.

Thank you guys for asking such good questions. Iím writing the Synik FAQ right now and it helps that process to answer these questions as they come in.

Weíve discussed whether or not to include the internal frame quite a bit ó we even recently revisited that question. Originally, our plan was to make the internal frame optional because we hoped that the Synapse 25 or Synapse 19 internal frames would work with the Synik 30 and Synik 22 respectively ó however, when we put the Synapse frames in the Syniks, we found that to be, at best, a kludgy hack. It just didnít work that well for some of the reasons @Cristina mentioned, and we didnít/donít feel comfortable recommending it as an option.

Synik 22: 11.4″ x 16.0″ x 9.4″ / 390mm x 490mm x 240mm (width x height x depth)

If Iím understanding correctly ó I tested this myself and if the front exterior pockets are fully and heavily loaded (two water bottle pockets, various other items) and the main compartment is empty, it does feel like the front face of the bag wants to fall forward a bit as I unzip it ó but the zippers donít open any further by themselves, and this didnít seem like it was a problem to me. Maybe some of the Forum reviewers can try this out too?

2. Yes. Thereís one set of rail loops in the Synik; they are above the open-top pocket thatís in the main compartment on the back side of the front face of the bag (directly opposite the built-in laptop compartment.)
    3. Sounds like a fun job Iíd say either the Synik 30 or the Brain Bag. And for overnights, you probably donít need as much capacity as the Brain Bag offers.

The Western Flyer Large Packing Cube (and Packing Cube Backpack!) does fit in the Synik 30. In fact, Nik took a Western Flyer PCBP in his Synik 30 on a test trip w/the bag in AprilÖ weíve got some photos of that somewhere, let me look for those.

No UV combinations are in the cards this year. Maybe next year if thereís enough requests.

The thing is ó to prevent that from happening, the bag would need an effectively rigid laptop compartment that would require more bulk, weight, and build. It might even start to feel overbuilt and overly complex, and to us that just didnít fit with the overall intent of the Synapse/Synik.

We felt it best to avoid all of that and counsel people to avoid overpacking their bag if they want the laptop compartment to work smoothly ó it may also just result in an overall better packing/use experience of various features of the bag. And the 3 extra liters of the 22 / 5 extra liters of the 30 helped at least us avoid overpacking our Syniks

Itís up to you whether the in-stock items ship right away or are held to be shipped with the pre-order, and we do charge shipping twice in the case of the former.

I know, free shipping is pretty common nowadays (Iíd say half of the places I shop with have it; the smaller stores often donít). Worth noting that $10 is less than it actually costs and we cover the costs of the carbon offsets to make it carbon neutral shipping.

Hereís the official word from our pre-order FAQ:

Good news about the 11Ē iPad Pro with the case being able to fit!

I have a (older) 13Ē MacBook Air and while I can get it in the Synik 22, I wouldnít recommend that / we wonít recommend people try to fit one in there. Itís just a little too big to fit -- the bezel around the screen of the older 13" MacBook Air is over 1/2" on each side, which ends up making it rather large for a 13" laptop. A more modern bezel is about 1/4" or less. Laptops the size of the 2015-and-later 13Ē MacBook Pro or the newer 13" Air Retina will fit just fine.

To make the length of the opening of the exterior access laptop compartment longer, we would have needed to make the entire Synik 22 taller ó and then it wouldnít have fit those who are shorter in height as well.

Thatís a great question. The Synik 22 will basically work like your L15 ó the length of the opening of the exterior device pocket is the nearly same on both bags. So, any device that fits in the Luminary 15 should also fit in the Synik 22.
    @Darcy

These external dimensions don't quite add up - I think the conversion from inches to mm has gone astray - for instance, 16 inches equates to about 400 mm, definitely not 490mm!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photos Iíve seen show the pack sitting very low on the wearerís back. Is it possible to wear it high or does it sink by design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the reviewers with SN22, what are your thoughts on the size of the bag for a middle schooler to use as a school bag. Can it fit a 1" three ring binder? What is your opinion on the bag lasting 'size wise' for going off to post-secondary? I told my husband that most post secondary students bring laptops to classes nowadays. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Anyway, I'd love to see the Syniks on some pre-teen, teens if anyone is able to oblige.

Much appreciated. Cannot wait to read/watch all the reviews!

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast