Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Darcy, thank you very much for answering my questions about the Cache 15A fitting in the Synik 30. I plan to pre-order a Synik 30.

Will a Cache 15A and a Synik 30 Freudian Slip both fit comfortably and be usable inside the Synik 30's main compartment? Or do you recommend skipping the Freudian Slip if the Cache 15A will always be in my Synik 30?

Of the pre-order color options, are there any choices that will increase the chances of receiving a pre-production batch bag?
    You are very welcome!

Yes, both the 15A Cache and a Freudian Slip can fit comfortably and be usable in the Synik 30.

There are two color choices that will increase the chances of receiving a PPB (pre-production batch) bag:
    Black/Northwest Sky
    Black/Cloud

Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Iíve had the S22 open at the top to see if the zipper shifted while using it; inside was my iPad Pro, Beats Studio 3ís (in the case), knitting, 18 oz Yeti (in the water bottle pocket), Side Effect (in the bottom pocket) and the zippers did not budge. I will try a heavier load and see if that makes a difference.
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowster View Post
    Sorry if this review seems to have more trepidation than most. I've written 4 bag reviews in the past 10 years and usually I wait at least a few months of hard use before I really talk about anything. I feel confident in the broad strokes of the TB product line, though, so I'm comfortable giving the Sy22 a hard recommend to any TB fan.
    We respect that and look forward to an update in a few months or longer

Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    @Darcy

These external dimensions don't quite add up - I think the conversion from inches to mm has gone astray - for instance, 16 inches equates to about 400 mm, definitely not 490mm!
    Oops! Fixed! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjj55 View Post
    The photos Iíve seen show the pack sitting very low on the wearerís back. Is it possible to wear it high or does it sink by design?
    No, it doesnít sink ó I think youíre seeing individual preference in how the bag is worn. You can definitely wear it high.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMEBLOM View Post
    To the reviewers with SN22, what are your thoughts on the size of the bag for a middle schooler to use as a school bag. Can it fit a 1" three ring binder? What is your opinion on the bag lasting 'size wise' for going off to post-secondary? I told my husband that most post secondary students bring laptops to classes nowadays. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Anyway, I'd love to see the Syniks on some pre-teen, teens if anyone is able to oblige.

Much appreciated. Cannot wait to read/watch all the reviews!
    I think it would work very well as a school bag. University would depend on the workload and degree -- for my Physics education, it wouldn't have worked at all. For my English education (which I actually finished) it would've worked wonderfully, provided I did all of my reading on my Kindle instead of buying physical books.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMEBLOM View Post
    To the reviewers with SN22, what are your thoughts on the size of the bag for a middle schooler to use as a school bag. Can it fit a 1" three ring binder? What is your opinion on the bag lasting 'size wise' for going off to post-secondary? I told my husband that most post secondary students bring laptops to classes nowadays. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Anyway, I'd love to see the Syniks on some pre-teen, teens if anyone is able to oblige.

Much appreciated. Cannot wait to read/watch all the reviews!
    Sorry, no pre-teens here, but I do have a 1" binder, 11" wide and 12" tall, that fits fine in my Synik 22. Here it is laid flat to show the relative size (it fills the bag widthwise and heightwise, but there is leftover room for other items (a few inches of depth).

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-binder-flat-jpg

And inside. Sorry that the lighting isn't so great right now:

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-binder-upright-jpg

My only concern is that the bag is kind of heavy, even empty, so consider the weight with the addition of school materials. However, it has a structure which will protect an iPad or laptop, that a lighter, floppier bag would not.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowster View Post
    It's a wonderful bag, but like I stress in my review I don't think it supplants the corresponding Synapse version. To me, they represent two answers to the same question -- neither are wrong, they just might resonate more with different groups of folks.
    Totally with you here, that's my overall impression - different flavors of the same ice cream. The Synik line complements - but does not supplant - the Synapse line.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I didn't take a laptop, but I brought a regular sized iPad and put it in the zippered section, and that worked great.

In terms of sizing, I was glad I had the opportunity to try the 22, since it fit me well in the same way the S19 does in terms of length. I am 5'3" with a shorter torso; the S25 feels long on me, so I suspect the 30 would as well. Compared to my original parapack S19, the 22 in ballistic felt more substantial. While the 22 with the framesheet in was heavier than my parapack S19 without a framesheet, I found the combination of wider padded straps and framesheet helped to offset my packing it with quite a few things. Just my two cents.

I will be super curious to see the parapack versions, since I think that is one of the most elegant bag fabrics TB uses.
    Hi NWhikergal, when you wear synik 22 and walk in a "trekking style" aka swinging the arms while slightly bent, do the elbows rub against the sides of the bag?

Thank you!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there! I'm very excited about this bag - have had a Synapse 25 for many years and this looks like a wonderful update to it.

Just to check - do the front side pockets next to the water bottle pocket of the Synik 30 fit a Kindle? I've been using a TAD Axiom 24 recently, and one big advantage I've realised of the Axiom is that it has several areas to store small flat items (such as Kindles) while the Synapse 25 doesn't. It'd be great if those front side pockets now would fit a Kindle!

Thanks very much for your help!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    Hi NWhikergal, when you wear synik 22 and walk in a "trekking style" aka swinging the arms while slightly bent, do the elbows rub against the sides of the bag?

Thank you!
    Hi @Chill, I did not notice that happening when I was walking with it. I found it very comfortable.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to a question, the packhacker guy did a short video showing a fully packed (uncompressed) peak designs medium cube fitting easily into the bottom of the S30. -
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cih6aa4dme...edium.MOV?dl=0
    Pretty impressive considering it is an 18 liter cube (6.7" deep and 13.35" square). There's also a pic showing the 18L cube and 9L cube packed together at the same time, but compressed down to 3.15" deep. - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp1xtmueez...8368.HEIC?dl=0

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kethanai View Post
    Hello there! I'm very excited about this bag - have had a Synapse 25 for many years and this looks like a wonderful update to it.

Just to check - do the front side pockets next to the water bottle pocket of the Synik 30 fit a Kindle? I've been using a TAD Axiom 24 recently, and one big advantage I've realised of the Axiom is that it has several areas to store small flat items (such as Kindles) while the Synapse 25 doesn't. It'd be great if those front side pockets now would fit a Kindle!

Thanks very much for your help!
    I have a very old Kindle Keyboard, which would be bigger than the current and recent generations of Kindle, and mine fits really easily into the front side pocket of the Synik 30. I think your Kindle would still fit even with a loaded out Synik 30. Here are some pics:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is terrific news! Thank you very much!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bchaplin Oh wow, that fits so nicely. Thank you for posting the pictures. Gosh, how can I explain to hubby that the kids NEED to upgrade to these for school?!?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a camera insert with side loading that connects to the internal straps for could work pretty well withe the synik. The zipper can be opened on either side to get an easy reach to the slr/lenses.
    I wonder if the medium camera cube from peak design will work here ..

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/camera-cubeSynik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-screenshot_20190727-135316-jpgSynik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-screenshot_20190727-135251-jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepnik View Post
    I think that a camera insert with side loading that connects to the internal straps for could work pretty well withe the synik. The zipper can be opened on either side to get an easy reach to the slr/lenses.
    I wonder if the medium camera cube from peak design will work here ..

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/camera-cubeSynik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-screenshot_20190727-135316-jpgSynik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers-screenshot_20190727-135251-jpg

generally I doubt this will work from my experience with other clamshell opening packs...
    The peak design side opening access is essentially designed to work with their packs ...I've had one briefly and sold it off again.
    whilst the pack (I had the everyday backpack) overall is well built and has a lot of nifty features, the thing I utterly disliked is the permanent all-around padding... it makes the whole pack sort of rigid, and it always looks full even if you only throw a pair of socks in.
    But the pack has side opening zippers actually matching their camera insert... which does work well as a camera bag.
    Personally I prefer top opening camera inserts for the use inside clamshell bags... the smaller ones can be "rotated" with the opening towards the clamshell, I leave these at the bottom... you store the less used lenses etc, in there... and on the top, facing upwards there's the main padded camera insert... holding the DSLR + main lens, one addon lens and flash gun. easy to access by just partially opening the clamshell zipper.
    the problem in my opinion with the peak design camera inser is this: the only way to really get access to your gear in anything but the peak design backpack would be to fully open the clamshell and then unzip the big compartment zipper on the camera insert.
    or pull it out... you'll be hard pressed to squeeze out gear with only a split-open side zipper.

In my opinion, the amazing part about a real clamshell opening backpack is that you don't need a fancy matched camera insert, instead get "lens cubes" etc... to store your assorted items (bottom area of the clamshell main compartment and as mentioned a standard camera insert (top opening) facing upwards... freely configurable to match your actual gear, quick to modify depending on your shooting needs

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one on my s25
    https://www.tenba.com/en/products/by...ackpack-insert

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aungrl View Post
    This is a GREAT idea!
    I agree but to make it really useful having a balanced side handle to hold it briefcase style would be the ultimate

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast