Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen any mention nor did any of the pictures I saw have a shot of the gatekeeper loops for the hip belt. With the extra size I would think the padded hip belt option would be even more useful. Does it have those like the Synapse does?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkibble View Post
    I haven't seen any mention nor did any of the pictures I saw have a shot of the gatekeeper loops for the hip belt. With the extra size I would think the padded hip belt option would be even more useful. Does it have those like the Synapse does?
    Yes, it does!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy says:
    "No UV combinations are in the cards this year. Maybe next year if there’s enough requests."

Request: Aubergine/UV Synik 22? Smilie

Darcy says:
    "Good news about the 11” iPad Pro with the case being able to fit!

I have a (older) 13” MacBook Air and while I can get it in the Synik 22, I wouldn’t recommend that / we won’t recommend people try to fit one in there. It’s just a little too big to fit -- the bezel around the screen of the older 13" MacBook Air is over 1/2" on each side, which ends up making it rather large for a 13" laptop. A more modern bezel is about 1/4" or less. Laptops the size of the 2015-and-later 13” MacBook Pro or the newer 13" Air Retina will fit just fine.

To make the length of the opening of the exterior access laptop compartment longer, we would have needed to make the entire Synik 22 taller — and then it wouldn’t have fit those who are shorter in height as well."

Would all the Caches that fit in the Daylight Briefcase fit in the Synik 22?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I offer one suggestion??

It would be nice if that Luggage handle pass through slot had a zipper at the bottom.

Why? I carry one bag only, will never use it as a luggage handle pass through, but would love to use it for important papers, or a magazine, airline ticket/boarding pass, etc. etc.

Thank you

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post

It would be nice if that Luggage handle pass through slot had a zipper at the bottom.

Why? I carry one bag only, will never use it as a luggage handle pass through, but would love to use it for important papers, or a magazine, airline ticket/boarding pass, etc. etc.

Thank you
    That’s a good suggestion. I also would not use it as a luggage handle pass through, but using this space with a zipped bottom to slip a newspaper or magazine would be great.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you
    100% agree as well! (For some reason I can’t react to posts, but wanted to make sure my support was heard!)

Adding a pocket there would make it so much more useful for me for flatter items like maps/guides. I too plan to use this as a one-bag solution or paired with an aeronaut or something. If possible it would be great to add this!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    That’s a good suggestion. I also would not use it as a luggage handle pass through, but using this space with a zipped bottom to slip a newspaper or magazine would be great.
    I like the idea, mostly because I have zero use for a luggage handle pass through, as I don't like those wheeled suitcase type things at all. (I've tried it... been there and hated it Wink ... not for me and never undestood the popularity of it... then again I do travel rather light... (tried travelling with tons of stuff and quickly gave up on it)).

But here's somehting to consider: zippers in your lumbar area of a pack... they can chafe like a bad piece of sanding paper. had one pack which had a zipper facing that region, and quickly gave up on that pack, annoying as it gets.
    I guess for this to work "smoothly" either there would be some flap over it, or the zipper would have to be one of the inverted types (tom bihn doesn't seem to use those) so that the coil isn't facing outwards.

An easier solution would be a piece of sturdy velcro at the bottom of the "luggage handle pass through".... not a lot of complexity (compared to adding of zippers) completeley invisible, and never in your way...
    what do you think??

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am planning a factory visit the first week of November...is it possible to pre-order and have them picked up from the factory myself, rather than waiting for it to be shipped to me in Singapore?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this feature in my Pilot, so at time when I don’t attached it to the luggage, it can be a useable space for other stuff, or like what some other manufacturers (eg Tumi) have done, is to have an inner pocket within the luggage pass through that can make the compartment useable

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently use the Brain Bag (BB) for one bag travel. I use one compartment to hold two packing cubes and the front compartment to hold a freudian slip with my slim laptop. Ithink, for the way I pack, the BB is a bit overkill. Because I fly international I have a 7kg limit for a carry on. Even if I wanted to pack out both compartments in the BB, I simply cant do it and stay within weight limit. So that brings me to the Synik 30. It look a tad lighter in the right material and seems to have a big enough main compartment to hold a couple packing cubes. Am I on the right path to try and use this for one bag travel under 7kg? I just bought my BB a couple months ago so I want to be sure replacing it will be a good move. Every ounce matters! Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers

Thank you
    The luggage pass through on the Synik isnít really suitable to use as a pocket. The opening isnít as big as people would want, itís too deep, itís an odd shape, and itís a black hole. So youíre not missing out on much with it not having a closing bottom.

The Synik luggage frame pouch became a pass through when they realized they could leave the bottom open a bit. It didnít start life as a pass through, that was a bonus. So it being a usable pocket as well would be twice removed from its original purpose.

Hope this helps explain! If I can find where I read this Iíll come back and post a link.
    Last edited by Cristina; 07-28-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The Synik luggage frame pouch became a pass through when they realized they could leave the bottom open a bit. It didnít start life as a pass through, that was a bonus. So it being a usable pocket as well would be twice removed from its original purpose.
    I understand the top is open anyway, to allow insertion/removal of the frame, which explains the vertical orientation of the passthrough. I wonder if there would be any drawbacks, from a manufacturing or use/design perspective, of leaving side openings. A horizontal passthrough would be a lot easier to "mount", and not get in the way of the roller handle.
    Last edited by ayazgood; 07-28-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could o-rings be added to the frame pouch, in case one wants to remove the frame and use the pocket to hold a couple of organizer pouches for easy to retrieve stuff like paperwork.

I think it would be a great opportunity to design a portrait OP with a zipper at the shorter/vertical side instead of longitudinal/landscape side.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffon View Post
    I currently use the Brain Bag (BB) for one bag travel. I use one compartment to hold two packing cubes and the front compartment to hold a freudian slip with my slim laptop. Ithink, for the way I pack, the BB is a bit overkill. Because I fly international I have a 7kg limit for a carry on. Even if I wanted to pack out both compartments in the BB, I simply cant do it and stay within weight limit. So that brings me to the Synik 30. It look a tad lighter in the right material and seems to have a big enough main compartment to hold a couple packing cubes. Am I on the right path to try and use this for one bag travel under 7kg? I just bought my BB a couple months ago so I want to be sure replacing it will be a good move. Every ounce matters! Smilie
    Hi @Jeffon & Welcome to the Forums!

Over the next couple of weeks there will be quite a few folks posting reviews and pack outs of the new Synik 22 & 30. One of these might work out better for you as a single bag solution, but it will depend on your unique carry. As we start seeing the in depth reviews, be sure to check them out. If no one posts something close enough to your carry, respond to one of us in those threads and we'll try to replicate your exact pack out.
    I just don't want your comment/request here to get lost
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    I had the exact same thought for the exact reasons.

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast