Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain Bag - Job Site (Hard hat?)

Hey,

So, I travel for work inspecting power plants. Fly everywhere, international and domestic. Never know how long I will be gone for.

I just ordered a brain bag hoping it could replace the current Ogio duffle that I take to job sites. Vest, rain jacket, tools, etc... my main question though is will I have any issue fitting my hardhat inside.

Everything that I've seen leads me to believe it will fit, but I just want to make sure.

Im assuming that the Brain Bags durability will be perfect for an industrial site.

Rory

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat! My guess is that it will fit, but I don't have a hard hat to try out. Maybe someone else here does and will chime in. I do think the durability will be fine--I don't know if you've already seen the page about materials on the TB website, but it says that the 525d Ballistic Nylon (the material the Brain Bags are now made from) has about the same abrasion resistance as 1050d Ballistic Nylon.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums @roryslife!

You could also contact the fine folks in Customer Service - they may have been asked that before and/or have a hard hat lying around...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Brain Bag anymore, but I'm hesitant to say that it would fit. While I can attest that the Brain Bag has a ton of volume, the depth is listed at 9.1 inches which is split between the two main compartments.

I just tested my hard hat in the Synik 30 that I have- according to TB the Synik has a 10.8" depth (the majority of which is the main compartment), and it fits pretty well. There's still plenty of room in the main compartment for other items on top or below, and the front pockets maintain their shape for access to whatever else you're traveling with. The laptop compartment should still work as well.

If I were in your situation and had to choose, I would say the Synik 30 is a better choice over the BB or other backpacks. I imagine the Aeronaut 30 or 45 would also be good options with their cavernous and expandable main compartments.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also possibly clip the hard hat to the outside of the Brain Bag using the water bottle clip... measure your HH and ask Customer Service what the distance/drop is from the clip to the base of the bag.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clipping to the outside is my backup option. And probably the best bet anyway.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not feeling the Synik because of the clamshell.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've clipped to the outside of bags while traveling my car, but I wouldn't want to do so while flying. To each their own though.

The clamshell and extra space it provides is what allows the bag to swallow a hard hat, and the zippers stay put if you partially unzip. I hope you find something that works. I've also had other bags specifically for external headgear, like the 5.11 AHP. It was a good backpack, but the TB bags are a little better to travel with and more unassuming.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brain bag with hard hat will be packed inside my Ogio 9800 rig while traveling. The brain bag is only for hotel to job site, and to serve as a mini office at the job site, so no big deal if clipped to outside.

I will update next week when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by slightlysaltybagman View Post
    I've clipped to the outside of bags while traveling my car, but I wouldn't want to do so while flying. To each their own though.

The clamshell and extra space it provides is what allows the bag to swallow a hard hat, and the zippers stay put if you partially unzip. I hope you find something that works. I've also had other bags specifically for external headgear, like the 5.11 AHP. It was a good backpack, but the TB bags are a little better to travel with and more unassuming.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard hats will indeed fit inside a Brain Bag. This thread Help choosing a (dual purpose) bag? from last year has pictures that several of us took with different hard hats in our Brain Bags.

For flying, I generally put my hard hat in a checked bag but I've seen quite a few people clip them to the outside of backpacks and tuck them in the overhead bins on flights.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude.

You are awesome. I check all my work gear. The brain bag with hard hat will be packed inside my rolling duffle. Then I can just grab it in morning and head to work.

I just have a small backpack for flying.

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Hard hats will indeed fit inside a Brain Bag. This thread Help choosing a (dual purpose) bag? from last year has pictures that several of us took with different hard hats in our Brain Bags.

For flying, I generally put my hard hat in a checked bag but I've seen quite a few people clip them to the outside of backpacks and tuck them in the overhead bins on flights.