Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is my S25 (Nordic!) attached to my Samsonite spinner underwater with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It goes on quickly, and if I thread it through the top grab handle, I don't need to cinch it tight.

I don't know if it's necessarily any better than the gatekeeper hack, but the bright blue color does distinguish it from all the other extra straps and buckles I have floating around.

Edit: I apologize, it won't let me upload my photo. I tried on my phone, and also from my computer.
    Last edited by Izzy; 08-01-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I can't figure out how to attach the photo! Hang on...
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my <cough> <cough> <not S25> , which has a passthrough, and was SO easy to put on the spinner.

Would it be possible to design a rectangular passthrough that is attached at the 4 corners, but has open sides, so that we could kind of rotate it onto the wide handles? (I'm not an engineer, so I don't know how to explain what I'm imagining.)

Edit: I couldn't upload this photo, either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I thought I knew how to do this....
    Last edited by Izzy; 08-01-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post

Edit: I couldn't upload this photo, either. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I thought I knew how to do this....
    Check your photo size... they need to be under 1MB (or even smaller, don't know exact size) to upload... so if it says 'upload failed' it's usually because the file is too large
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience most photo upload problems have to do with the photo being too big--shrinking it below 1MB usually does the trick. But if that isn't it, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot! You can send me a PM if you'd like to.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [...]
    If anything, I think they were inspired by the Synapse when they designed it (note the bright contrasting lightweight fabric it's lined with...) [...]
    Just may you know, the bright contrasting internal fabric is quite a norm now (especially the neon orange one, take a look at Packhacker or Carryology web sites)
    but up to now I didn't see anyone beats TB in color choice range for internal fabric Wink
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about using lash straps, like the ones that come with the Road Buddy? DOH! I see you've already created one.

The strap is still an extra pain in the butt. I prefer a pass through sleeve, but I get that it won't fit every type of suitcase handle.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-02-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SECOND TRY: so this is my S25 (Nordic!) attached to my Samsonite spinner underwater with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It goes on quickly, and if I thread it through the top grab handle, I don't need to cinch it tight.

I don't know if it's necessarily any better than the gatekeeper hack, but the bright blue color does distinguish it from all the other extra straps and buckles I have floating around.

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-20190801_200545-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my <cough> <cough> <not S25> , which has a passthrough, and was SO easy to put on the spinner.

Would it be possible to design a rectangular passthrough that is attached at the 4 corners, but has open sides, so that we could kind of rotate it onto the wide handles? (I'm not an engineer, so I don't know how to explain what I'm imagining.

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-20190801_200814-jpg

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-20190801_200826-jpg

Here is my S25 swallowed by the <cough> <cough> non-TB backpack
    Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-20190801_200720-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to Aedifica for the tutorial, worked like a charm! And apologies for photo of non-TB backpack, I was desperate, and the Synik isn't yet available...

Seriously, I'd like to see every TB backpack with a passthrough. Those of us with back or hip issues still appreciate TB quality and design, and hate to be shunted off to Amazon basic or whatever to find a backpack with a passthrough!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my Simple Rolling Luggage Lash Strap in the mail (thank you very much). It is heavier duty than the gatekeeper waist belt hack and works even better. Nice to have a dedicated strap for a reasonable $10 price. *Discovered that if you roll it up tightly it fits in the Super Mini Ghost Whale Pouch. For best results have the thickest part in the bottom of the SMGWP with the overlap facing out. I tried it in a 525 Burnt Orange and a 210 Blue Ballistic. With effort both will zip completely but if you only zip up to the curve the strap is securely contained and can be attached to your TB bag for use when needed.

*Edited to add To make this work you need to tighten the Simple Rolling Luggage Lash Strap before you roll it up to insert into the pouch.

The Gatekeeper Waist belt as set up for attachment strap then folded on itself fits very easily into a SMGWP and it zips very easily.

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-lugstrp1-jpeg

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-lugstrp2-jpeg

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-lugstrp3-jpeg
    Last edited by MatthewR; 08-06-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding photos per request

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A while back, Darcy was kind enough to send me one of these straps to test. This is the first time I have flown with it so here are my thoughts. I am a notoriously overpacker. I detest doing laundry and would rather take stuff I know I need rather than trying to source at my destination. I also bring back lots of stuff for the kids and grandkids. So this trip I packed a medium Yeoman inside the rolling suitcase so I can check one of those on the way back. Also coming along is Mr. pammyís Brain Bag that I used as a personal item. Inside that I had an original halycon PCSB to hang off the seat pocket with things I wanted to use during the flight.

The luggage strap worked great. The Brain Bag was secured in place and I did not have to worry about it falling off. When not in use, I stored it in the top pocket of the suitcase. This is the best solution Iíve found other than a dedicated passthrough sleeve. I havenít tried the Synik yet, so in the meantime, I will continue to use the luggage strap with a rolling suitcase.

Here is the luggage strap in use at Orlando international airport.

Have rolling luggage and one of our bags? Could you help us test something?-6afe394f-1b31-4f5b-a863-364defd8926e-jpg
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    I admit to always leaning towards things that reduce, even fractionally, the hassle of traveling and care less about design simplicity. Along that line of thought; finding, attaching, and tightening a strap is going to be a hassle in the middle of an airplane aisle or if you need to get from security to an airport gate fast. So, I'm not sure if your solution fits the definition of reducing hassle. It does seem like a great option for people that are walking long distances with a pack and roller and therefore want to save weight off their backs.
    +1. Attaching straps is a hassle. Why not just sew in an elastic expandable wide strap (could be in a separate zippered pocket, if you want to make it nicer) going from edge to edge on TB bag's back panel?
    This should be plenty wide enough (esp. expandable) to accommodate any rolling luggage handle width.

Here is a set up on my Samsonite BP which works great. Even though this strap is not very wide it still working perfectly fine.

I do not know if there is any type of a patent or IP protection involved with this design, but just that what I'd be pursuing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2