Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New: Free Materials for DIY Projects

All,

We've created a new page that invites you to "order" free materials that we can't make use of but maybe you can:
    https://www.tombihn.com/products/scrap

As it says on the page, despite our best efforts, we sometimes find ourselves with inventory of perfectly usable materials for which we no longer have a use. For example, when we retire a design, we may end up with leftover material/inventory of just or two components (it’s a hot dogs vs. buns kind of thing) of said design. And, though we’ve worked and continue to work to make our fabric and die-cutting processes utilize our materials to the greatest extent possible, the fact remains that some scrap material is produced.

We continually work to come up with ways to use more materials and reduce waste; many of you know that our Organizer Pouches are often made our of scrap fabrics. We’ve also given away rolls of surplus fabric and selvedge (the unusable edges of the fabric rolls) to people who buy our bags and are, like us, makers/crafters/designers/experimentors. This has been one of our favorite ways of giving away material we can’t use because we get to see pictures of the things people make with our scraps or other materials. And then it occurred to us: instead of offering up these materials just here or there or if asked, what if we made an actual product page that listed what we have available at any given time? That way more people could get more materials, and we’ll hopefully toss even less in the dumpster. And now it is so…

If you have any questions about the materials we're giving away, feel free to ask 'em here or emailus@tombihn.com
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. It’s Christmas already???

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great idea! Have you considered using some of the smaller scraps to make a swatch booklet so we could have a little taste of your fabrics in the real world before buying?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    That sounds like a great idea! Have you considered using some of the smaller scraps to make a swatch booklet so we could have a little taste of your fabrics in the real world before buying?
    They already do swatches! You can call/chat/email TB customer service to ask for swatches of any colors you're interested in.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    We have! We keep setting aside that project because even though it would utilize scrap, it'd be a pricey little swatchbook for us to produce (in a way that is nice and presentable) and yet it also seems like something that we wouldn't want to charge people for.

We do send scrap swatches of any material at no charge by request (emailus@tombihn.com)
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    Wow. It’s Christmas already???
    want to say the same xD

Thank you so much Darcy and TB
    I'm already reading the page
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sadly not crafty enough to make use of these, but I love that TB is doing this! Such a great way to combat waste and makes me extra proud to support TB!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We do send scrap swatches of any material at no charge by request (emailus@tombihn.com)
    I didn't know that. That's brilliant!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the idea although my own artisan skills are rather limited....
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cody for taking care of my "order"

I can't wait to see what everyone will make out of "TB scraps"
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my cool box of scraps... one of the first things I wanted to try was a different way to hold the earrings I make & give away... right now I use tiny plastic baggies... not a huge deal, but it would be nice to find a 'reuse' way to do it with the scraps.

This doesn't fully solve the 'containment' problem, but as I had hoped, the 'Scrap 3D Spacer Mesh' perforated holes are the correct size to capture earring ear wires/posts.

New: Free Materials for DIY Projects-earrings-jpg
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my Iberian roll today! Can’t say I’m an expert at using this material but I like doing crafts. It’s an ok first try, but here’s a watch strap I made for one of my watches. I used Velcro to make the closure. Hopefully It’ll be better next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that watch strap!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy, just curious - were the 2" rolls what you used for the original versions of the key straps?
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just made another strap this morning. I think this one came out nicely. Used an extra butterfly clasp. Under measured the width of the strap but “close enough” haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast