Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Synik or Aeronaut30?

I want to do 1 bag travel with a backpack. Will someone who has an A30 and the new Synik30 do a comparison pack of the 2 bags and post it. I canít decide between the two.

Help please.Plane

Forum Member
    East Coast, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be happy to if The Powers That Be saw fit to send me a Synik 30 to compare to my A30? Wink Otherwise, I'd like to see that as well.

France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own neither of them
    but I own a Guide Edition Synapse (so 25L) which I take for 1 bag travel if it can help you...

in order to help you better, could you tell us what you intend to bring on travel?
    just a Bihnion here

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's something that I can work on and I'm sure a couple other folks have both as well.

As @rei said, it would help a bit if you indicate the type of travel, things you're bringing, etc.

In general, the A30 is great if you're going to travel and set awhile somewhere, as it is superb to live out of. The SN30 is friendlier for tech travel and probably if you're on the move more.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    That's something that I can work on and I'm sure a couple other folks have both as well.

As @rei said, it would help a bit if you indicate the type of travel, things you're bringing, etc.

In general, the A30 is great if you're going to travel and set awhile somewhere, as it is superb to live out of. The SN30 is friendlier for tech travel and probably if you're on the move more.
    Awesome! I would appreciate seeing the same packout in both the Synik 30 and A30. I am considering the Synik 30 to use in place of my A30 and wonder if it would accommodate the same amount of stuff.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SN30- and so another acronym is born. Welcome to the world SN30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    SN30- and so another acronym is born. Welcome to the world SN30!
    I don't know if it's official or anything, but I like SN22 and SN30 personally
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I don't own neither of them
    but I own a Guide Edition Synapse (so 25L) which I take for 1 bag travel if it can help you...

in order to help you better, could you tell us what you intend to bring on travel?
    I have traveled for years with an old LL Bean school backpack. In it I place my IPad, large toiletry bag, 5 pairs of heavy to mid weight pants, 7 shirts (either turtlenecks or t-shirts - depends on time of year), 7 socks and undies, 2 or 3 bras, 1 pair of dress shoes, night clothes, and miscellaneous small stuff.

I am 5í6Ē and wear a size 4. I have a back length of 19.

I travel mostly for family events and will be starting to do more solo trips out of the country and think I need to upgrade my pack.Smilie

Thanks for the help with this decision.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsage View Post
    I am 5’6” and wear a size 4. I have a back length of 19.
    If you're in the US and can get more than one bag to test pack, I would do that. See the FAQ for how to do it :
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

If you're not traveling with an actual laptop, you maybe don't need a Synik with the built in sleeve, but it is useful for the side access for your iPad.
    Likewise the clamshell is something a lot of folks have been asking for.

With your back length, you would probably find the Synapse 19 and Synik 22 more comfortable than the larger S25 and SN30, but you'd have to see if you can fit everything in.

The A30 is a tad long, but I find it pretty comfortable to carry around airports...
    Last edited by G42; 08-03-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the A30, S25 and S19.
    After playing with them and packing them for different scenarios, I decided to keep the A30 and the S19.
    I have travel with the A30 both in summer and winter for a 2-3 weeks at a time and I can fit everything I need (even a suit for a wedding).
    I do not travel with my laptop.

I totally love my A30. It replaced a Tortuga 45 and I havenít once missed the extra 15l.

The S19 is my EDC and my bag on shorter trips.

I hope this helps.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to see some visual comparisons of the A30 and SN30! The A30 has been my go-to travel bag for 3+ nights away, but Iíd love something that looks more like a daypack that can do double duty at my destination. The clamshell design of the Synik is very appealing, and the laptop compartment would be great for work (both travel and everyday outings).

Just when I think Iíve come to accept there is no one perfect bag, the Synik comes along...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will come down to how you prefer to carry. I do not enjoy carrying my A45 on my back. I'll do it if I have to, but it's uncomfortable to me. I had a an A30 and felt similar, but that was short testing. This is in relation to me having an S25 too.

I would personally lean hard to the new SN30 over the A30 because I like backpack mode more. I nearly fit everything in the A30 into my S25 (hence me keeping the A45 in the end, heh).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today, 06:51 PM #1
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec
    Since a few folks have asked, here are some comparison photos between a Deep Blue/Coyote Synik 30 and an Original/Island Aeronaut 30.

TL/DR: Same stuff fit in both bags, just a bit easier in the A30. Maximizing the Synik space means using all the pockets well. If you've been craving clamshell & built in laptop and/or love single-bag travel, you'll like the Synik family. If you've been fine with the Synapses and Aeronauts, it may not be worth getting another bag...

I packed a generic bunch of non-winter stuff I would bring on a trip lasting a week or so, assuming a bit of washing. None of the cubes were jammed pack, as that's not how I like to pack.

Starting on the left:

Island A30 Small Laundry Cube : workout pants & shirt; sleep shirt & shorts
    NWSky A30 Small Laundry Cube : 5 short sleeved shirts (2 cotton; 3 synth)
    Wasabi A30 Small Laundry Cube : 7 prs undies; 1 bra; 2 prs wool socks
    Eagle Creek shoe sack: 1 pr workout shoes
    1 pr folded jeans
    Fjord Small Snake Charmer: lightly packed with a mouse; phone charger; laptop powerbrick
    Dawn Clear 3DOC : wet toiletries
    Kiwi 'The Kit' (disco'd) : dry toiletries, comb, etc.
    HP Pavilion laptop
    Original 3DOC : the random stuff I usually keep in my EDC (pens, quarters, duct tape, bandaids, etc)
    Island Travel Cubelet : my 'portable office' with checkbooks, notebook, pens, stamps, etc.

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-img_20190803_144110-jpg

In the Synik:
    'The Kit' and Clear 3DOC in two side pockets
    3DOC, TC, and SSC in the chin pocket
    jeans flat, EC cube of shoes at the bottom, thickest Laundry Cube, then the remaining two stacked on top of each other
    laptop in the built-in compartment... my MacBook Air (larger 2013 version) also fits
    total weight was about 17.5 lbs, with the bag

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-befunky-sn30-jpg

In the A30:
    'The Kit' and SSC in the left/top pocket, divider wall unzipped to make laptop easier
    jeans flat, 3 Laundry Cubes & Clear 3DOC in main compartment
    laptop on top - normally I'd have it in a neoprene sleeve, but I forgot to bring it home, there was definitely room for it to fit
    EC cube of shoes, 3DOC, & TC in the right/bottom pocket... the 3DOC or TC also would fit in the main compartment

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-befunky-a30-jpg

The Syniks are a cool design that add a few features to the Synapses that many folks have been clamoring for. They're built with the expected Tom Bihn attention to detail and quality. These are fine bags that will make many folks happy.

For me, they are solving problem(s) that I don't actually have. I use neoprene sleeves for my laptops and don't particularly care about the clamshell.
    I like my Synapse 19s a lot...unfortunately neither my work nor personal laptop will fit in the Synik 22 sleeve - I would still have to use my neoprene sleeves - though the couple extra liters is nice.

I find the A30 easier to pack and more comfortable to carry than the SN30, but I'm also more used to it, so time will tell. Whilst I haven't traveled with the SN30 yet (only EDC), I am sure the A30 is easier to 'live out of' just due to the access/design.
    Once we get into the S25 and SN30, the backpack lengths are just over my torso length, so I don't find either of them as comfortable as the shorter packs.

Usually I travel with a main bag on my back and a small bag for under the seat. I don't particularly feel the need to single-bag travel though I have done so.
    If I had the type of trip where I needed a laptop and also needed to haul my stuff around with me for large chunks of the days, multiple transport modes, etc., I would single-bag it. It never bothered me to use a Synapse or the Smart Alec for that use case though - I just use neoprene sleeves for the laptop(s).

Like every other bag, whether you will like the Syniks will depend on how you like to pack and travel... hopefully this has provided another data point for you to consider.

ETA: thanks to @aedifica for telling me about the 'Be Funky' free collage maker to help with the photos, tho I still don't have mad skills there yet

I'll be traveling next weekend for 3 nights - I'll take the SN30 with both laptops, clothes for the trip, etc. as a single bag trip & report back.
    Last edited by G42; Today at 07:27 PM.

Found this comparison of the 2.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or did photos not come through in that last post? Looks like a great overview!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsage View Post
    Today, 06:51 PM #1
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec
    Since a few folks have asked, here are some comparison photos between a Deep Blue/Coyote Synik 30 and an Original/Island Aeronaut 30.

TL/DR: Same stuff fit in both bags, just a bit easier in the A30. Maximizing the Synik space means using all the pockets well. If you've been craving clamshell & built in laptop and/or love single-bag travel, you'll like the Synik family. If you've been fine with the Synapses and Aeronauts, it may not be worth getting another bag...

I packed a generic bunch of non-winter stuff I would bring on a trip lasting a week or so, assuming a bit of washing. None of the cubes were jammed pack, as that's not how I like to pack.

Starting on the left:

Island A30 Small Laundry Cube : workout pants & shirt; sleep shirt & shorts
    NWSky A30 Small Laundry Cube : 5 short sleeved shirts (2 cotton; 3 synth)
    Wasabi A30 Small Laundry Cube : 7 prs undies; 1 bra; 2 prs wool socks
    Eagle Creek shoe sack: 1 pr workout shoes
    1 pr folded jeans
    Fjord Small Snake Charmer: lightly packed with a mouse; phone charger; laptop powerbrick
    Dawn Clear 3DOC : wet toiletries
    Kiwi 'The Kit' (disco'd) : dry toiletries, comb, etc.
    HP Pavilion laptop
    Original 3DOC : the random stuff I usually keep in my EDC (pens, quarters, duct tape, bandaids, etc)
    Island Travel Cubelet : my 'portable office' with checkbooks, notebook, pens, stamps, etc.

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-img_20190803_144110-jpg

In the Synik:
    'The Kit' and Clear 3DOC in two side pockets
    3DOC, TC, and SSC in the chin pocket
    jeans flat, EC cube of shoes at the bottom, thickest Laundry Cube, then the remaining two stacked on top of each other
    laptop in the built-in compartment... my MacBook Air (larger 2013 version) also fits
    total weight was about 17.5 lbs, with the bag

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-befunky-sn30-jpg

In the A30:
    'The Kit' and SSC in the left/top pocket, divider wall unzipped to make laptop easier
    jeans flat, 3 Laundry Cubes & Clear 3DOC in main compartment
    laptop on top - normally I'd have it in a neoprene sleeve, but I forgot to bring it home, there was definitely room for it to fit
    EC cube of shoes, 3DOC, & TC in the right/bottom pocket... the 3DOC or TC also would fit in the main compartment

Synik 30 vs Aeronaut 30...and Smart Alec-befunky-a30-jpg

The Syniks are a cool design that add a few features to the Synapses that many folks have been clamoring for. They're built with the expected Tom Bihn attention to detail and quality. These are fine bags that will make many folks happy.

For me, they are solving problem(s) that I don't actually have. I use neoprene sleeves for my laptops and don't particularly care about the clamshell.
    I like my Synapse 19s a lot...unfortunately neither my work nor personal laptop will fit in the Synik 22 sleeve - I would still have to use my neoprene sleeves - though the couple extra liters is nice.

I find the A30 easier to pack and more comfortable to carry than the SN30, but I'm also more used to it, so time will tell. Whilst I haven't traveled with the SN30 yet (only EDC), I am sure the A30 is easier to 'live out of' just due to the access/design.
    Once we get into the S25 and SN30, the backpack lengths are just over my torso length, so I don't find either of them as comfortable as the shorter packs.

Usually I travel with a main bag on my back and a small bag for under the seat. I don't particularly feel the need to single-bag travel though I have done so.
    If I had the type of trip where I needed a laptop and also needed to haul my stuff around with me for large chunks of the days, multiple transport modes, etc., I would single-bag it. It never bothered me to use a Synapse or the Smart Alec for that use case though - I just use neoprene sleeves for the laptop(s).

Like every other bag, whether you will like the Syniks will depend on how you like to pack and travel... hopefully this has provided another data point for you to consider.

ETA: thanks to @aedifica for telling me about the 'Be Funky' free collage maker to help with the photos, tho I still don't have mad skills there yet

I'll be traveling next weekend for 3 nights - I'll take the SN30 with both laptops, clothes for the trip, etc. as a single bag trip & report back.
    Last edited by G42; Today at 07:27 PM.

Found this comparison of the 2.
    Hi, thanks for doing this - these are the comparison pictures I’ve been waiting to see! BUT - at least on my device - none of the pictures came through. Are others having this problem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast