Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very Unfortunate Event

I have a story to share. About a week ago I had my truck broken into. The thief broke my window reached in and took my grey Pilot! The restaurant barely got him on video. I actually saw him do it. I have carried this bag with me everywhere I went for 4 years. It has been with me to 11 countries and back and forth to school every day (I am a high school teacher). When I tell people about the incident they don't seem to get how big of a deal it is to have my bag stolen. I loved my bag more than just about any other thing I have ever owned! I feel naked having to go back to school without it. I just wanted to be able to rant a little bit to a group who would understand my pain. Anyway, rant over. Thanks for listening.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awful. I’m so sorry to hear about it, and you’ve come to the right spot for empathy, that’s for sure. And in addition to losing your beloved Pilot, there’s the hassle of replacing all of the personal effects that were inside. So, so sad for you! ��

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lesson is to never leave items like that visible in a vehicle. Car prowls are a big problem in my city.

Never set a pack alongside you while sitting in a public place, especially an outside cafe. Likewise, don't leave your phone on a table. Thieves will set a newspaper on top while talking to you and walk away with the paper and your phone.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a total annoyance!

As @DWSeattle says, never leave stuff visible and unattended... but we're all human with momentary lapses. And there are definitely places (hello San Francisco) where they just walk down a line of cars, smashing every side window (whether anything is visible or not), with a group following to riffle through the cars and scatter when the cops arrive.

Better your stuff than you - just glad that you're safe.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get it for sure. My favorite TB bags are my (retired) Imagos and others made out of (retired) original Nordic, so I'm aware and occasionally think "they're no longer made!" when I'm out and about carrying them. Glad you're okay, but I'm sure it was very distressing to witness.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! Yes, we definitely understand your pain. I hope you can replace the bag and everything in it with a minimum of frustration!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get it too, once, in San Francisco, our car was broken into, the same way G42 described, a brand new leather briefcase, gifted to my husband, walked away and we had to pay for the window's repair.

Another time, a side window was opened by a sliver, somebody opened the door and got away with my first Packing Cube Backpack which had been with me, on many trips and was my EDC in summer, it was left in the car because it was used as a gym bag by my husband, his brand new sneakers were in there. That was on our driveway.

I always take my EDC with me, where ever I go. It is not safe to leave stuff out of sight, anywhere, a fellow TB forum member had their FJN stolen from their shopping cart, I believe.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man that sucks! Iím on the onebag Reddit and a fellow user there just had his bag stolen out of a bus. His entire life was in that one bag. Thatís an awful feeling, almost invasive. Hope you get the color combination of your dreams with the new bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Rochester, NY, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly the thief doesn't even appreciate that bag in his/her hands. Most likely emptied it, then ditched it. Have you walked around the scene of the crime, to see if it was discarded nearby?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is rather unfortunate event but hopefully the silver lining is a new Tom Bihn box on your doorstep some day soon. Maybe time to try a new bag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my exact thought! The guy wouldn't even know what he had!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh that's super lame that happened @mtymouse9 - so sorry! I'm glad, though, you posted about it here. I sometimes leave my bags in my car too!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)