Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm genrally an Anit-Logo person.... I refuse to buy any type of print-t-shirt (with a handful of graphic design items I like as a notable exception, but generally my clothes are boring uni-colour items that feature NO visible branding.)

On all my other items, backpacks, etc... whenever possible I've removed or covered the Logos.

I just don't like being a walking bill-board... and I don't attach any emotion or value to flaunting a brand... like those kids running around in their "supreme hoodies"... frankly, you'd have to pay me to wear that (and admittingly I'm no super-model, but by paying I still refer to handsome amounts of cash).

Clothes or other items with big labels, etc on them have always sort of been on my dislike-radar.

I don't mind an understadet, absolutely minimal, say tone in tone, branding... but there's a limit to that.
    For example most "the north face" backpacks, aside from some being really well made, the white on black, big TNF logo on the packs is a complete turn-off for a purchase decision..

I get that some poeple actually like branding, which is fine.

My proposal - something that I hope that more high-end / custom / smaller-scale manufacturers of gear / backpacks etc would do:
    Just a 2x3" Velcro patch section... and supply their own Logo (or perhaps a choice of different designs) with the bag by default.
    That way those of you who WANT To show the Logo (or don't care about it at all) can leave that in place.
    Those like myself who prefer NO logo(s) at all, could just remove it and have the black velcro there (you could even supply a non-branded same fabric / colour as the backpack velcro cover for non black bags)..
    The ones who prefer their own "morale patches" or other such items, could stick it there.
    I'd say this isn't more expensive to do.... and could make everyone perfectly happy about the logo situation.

it's actually one thing I really like about my GoRuck... the balck in black, no logo, no anything on it... and yet, well it's a recognisable enough design.
    I've got a millican pack, that I quite like, the logo is tone in tone, but it's still not subtle enough.
    The other favourite pack of mine is my Ortovox Traverse that I use mostly for hiking & light mountaineering (it's just 20-25 litres... so not fitting much rope, crampons, etc... got a bigger pack for that, from exped), that bag is black with blueish highlights, but unfortunately has the "Ortovox" labelled plastered all over the design. I don't mind it as much when I'm out up high in the mountains,... after all I'm pretty certain the local Ibex population can't read or use the internet..... but I dislike it for that very reason for travelling, despite being a superb pack.

I guess once I receive my synik (after that pre-order finally goes online Wink ...)
    I'll either butcher the logo off the bag, or carefully stitch a piece of black velcro over it.

I do admit, I'm complete OCD about this. but hey, it's how I roll.

Questions for the Tom Bihn Crew: Synik 22&30
    - have you considered the velcro approach??
    - (would you do that to one specific bag on order??)
    - IF I would be to remove the logo (sorry, I really like what you're offering, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in purchasing, but as mentioned, I dislike logos on my stuff) - are there any holes under the logo or anything to worry about if I'd be crule enough to remove it?

thanks.
    Last edited by dgentile; 08-08-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíd be curious to know the process to remove a logo. Wouldnít it damage the bag? I wouldnít agree to a velcro patch because velcro becomes a bit frazzled after some time. My opinion is still that a more subtle logo that doesnít shout for attention would be more inline with their brand. If they designed a logo that was easy to remove without damaging the bag - even better! But that would probably be asking too much from a company.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    I’d be curious to know the process to remove a logo. Wouldn’t it damage the bag? I wouldn’t agree to a velcro patch because velcro becomes a bit frazzled after some time. My opinion is still that a more subtle logo that doesn’t shout for attention would be more inline with their brand. If they designed a logo that was easy to remove without damaging the bag - even better! But that would probably be asking too much from a company.
    velcro...
    I've had "open" velcro patches on a few bags, and none has deterioated over time the way you describe it.
    But again, this could be easily avoided by applying an actualy velcro "patch" (say: same fabric as the actual bag... with the hook part stitched to it, so for example a black halcyon 420 "Patch" to velcro on instead of the Tom Bihn Logo)... would solve the potential issue you name, and the problem of having say a gray bag with a black velcro visible....
    Sort of like an "incognito mode" for the bag Wink

But yes, as asked, I'd be interested to see what TB has to say about the potential removal process.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dgentille, @rishio,

some folks did remove the logo (some even add a patch instead of or over the logo), 4 holes will remain if I recall well (one at each corner)
    but I don't find the posts... @moriond? help Wink
    just a Bihnion here

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    @dgentille, @rishio,

some folks did remove the logo (some even add a patch instead of or over the logo), 4 holes will remain if I recall well (one at each corner)
    but I don't find the posts... @moriond? help Wink
    I've seen that... but was wondering - hoping - that this might NOT be the case with the Synik models!

I think the holes were for fabric alignment or such a thing during manufacturing, and I can't see why these need to be there (arguably from my limited knowledge on bag making)....
    so maybe this has changed, and there's no holes under the logo anymore with the Synik??
    Tom Bihn anyone? @darcy ?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fully understand that some folks don't like logos at all and often times I do not like them too (a number of reasons are mentioned in the controversial yet stimulating Book "No Logo" by Naomi Klein). Among the logos I do like is the TB logo (ok, maybe I am biased I am one of the moderators and have a special relationship with the company). Here is why: Aesthetically it is in line with the travel patches people like to fix on their bags to document where they have been. That does make a lot of sense given the core business of TB and the history of the company. The little red in the logo might not be ideal for some colors but that doesn't really bother me. Furthermore, every logo does of course transmit the image, philosophy and values of the respective company. As far as I can assess that I can't think of any other company beeing more open, transparent, fair, customer oriented, etc. Thus, I have no problem conveying that message. Finally, regarding the placement: On most of the bags I have, the logo is placed in one corner except for the Luminary, the Yeomans and the Road Buddy. Thus, the lower left or right corner is a typical place to put the logo. In addition, given the very symmetrical and discreet apperance of the Synik and the Synapse I consider the asymmetrical placement of the logo to be the icing on the cake (or as we say in German the "salt in the soup") thus, the bag looks more interesting to me. But of course, that is all a matter of taste....
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually hesitated on buying a Tom Bihn bag because I knew I couldn't remove the logo without being left with tiny little holes there. (There is no way to cleanly remove a label.) I also really do not like having visible labels on my items. Now, if they created the absolute perfect bag for my needs and that was the only issue, I could overlook it. It would still annoy me, though.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion is to use fabric glue to glue a different patch onto the logo that you prefer better. I myself prefer the more minimalistic small plane next to text. I think Tom Bihn USA would suffice as well to keep it minimal without the 'Made in'. As far as positioning, I like it offset from center. Whether that is in an upper/lower corner or what not, just so it isn't like all the other luggage out there that centers everything, heck, even tilted somewhere on the bag would be interesting to me.
    Last edited by thorn; 08-08-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having owned bags like Goruck that have velcro patches, as well as bags with logos, my preference for bags like the Synik is to have a logo over a velcro patch (although I will admit I am less bothered by logos, unless they are HUGE). In a bag I may use extensively in a work setting, I prefer the aesthetic of a subtle logo like the current one, over the at times more tactical looking velcro patches. Whereas I could get by in my work setting with a ballistic backpack even when fairly dressed up, for my purposes a velcro patch would be less appropriate.

That said, I do on my non-TB bags with velcro patches get a kick out switching out patches occasionally or just going without patches, but I do not generally use those in a work setting. Of course, everyone's work environment varies, so my preference/needs may be vastly different than other people's.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the logo! I think itís classic looking and fairly unobtrusive.

Itís placement on the Synik bag looks odd to me only because Iím used to itís placement on the Synapses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am generally anti logo, I have to reaaaallllyyy like a brand to sport one. Fortunately for me, Tom Bihn is a brand I love and I appreciate the reasons they have the logo they do so it doesn’t bother me too much.

If a tag on something really bothers me and removing it could potentially damage the item, I generally pull out my trusty fine tip sharpie and color the whole tag black. Most of my stuff is either entirely black or has some on it so it’s not horribly out of place. When the logo is high quality and embroidered or woven (like for TB) I am usually quite pleased with the finished alteration, you can still see the high and low spots and get a more low key, tone on tone look. Alternatively, you could also go to a craft store or check Etsy for iron or sew on patches that you like better and stitch it over the logo — DON’T USE AN IRON ON THE BAGS THEY WILL MELT! (sorry for yelling but it’s a big deal)
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    I am generally anti logo, I have to reaaaallllyyy like a brand to sport one. Fortunately for me, Tom Bihn is a brand I love and I appreciate the reasons they have the logo they do so it doesn’t bother me too much.

If a tag on something really bothers me and removing it could potentially damage the item, I generally pull out my trusty fine tip sharpie and color the whole tag black. Most of my stuff is either entirely black or has some on it so it’s not horribly out of place. When the logo is high quality and embroidered or woven (like for TB) I am usually quite pleased with the finished alteration, you can still see the high and low spots and get a more low key, tone on tone look. Alternatively, you could also go to a craft store or check Etsy for iron or sew on patches that you like better and stitch it over the logo — DON’T USE AN IRON ON THE BAGS THEY WILL MELT! (sorry for yelling but it’s a big deal)

The black sharpie thing: Can't recommend - I've done that once - and only once Wink
    First the smell of that damn black sharpie was pretty overpowering and it took actually ages to dry (OK, it wasn't a "Sharpie" (as in the brand) but an industrial black waterproof marker, similar to sharpie). so every time for the next few weeks or so, something would rub on that thing, it would get black smudges that were, surprise surpsie: waterproof.
    then over a not so long time the black started to fade,... leaving a pretty disgusting looking patch behind... and I certainly wasn't about to repaint it.

sewing / stitching on a new patch is do-able of course...

but I'd say if you don't plan to "remove" it ever again, than a industrial grade fabric glue would probably do a quicker,easier and seam-less job. (I've done that a few times with a good success..)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've removed the logo on three of my TB bags! Like you, I'm not a huge fan of branding, even from companies I admire. I prefer for my bag to be a sleeper, and if someone recognizes it as a TB bag and approaches me or asks about it- all the better.

There are two small marker holes that are punched underneath the logo so they can line it up at the factory. They're not very noticeable, and in the 1050d ballastic bags I would not even be able to see them unless I knew they were there and held it up close.

For my Synapse 19 I wasn't as brave, and sought out a velcro patch to sew on. The store I went to only had sticky-backed velcro, so I picked it up and figured I'd just try to sew through it anyway- but I didn't even get that far. The velcro stuck so well, that after at least 6 months now it's still there and hasn't begun to peel. If it does, maybe I'll give a go with the thread and needle, but due to the placement and internal lining on the S19 it'll be a little more difficult.

The Synik will be much easier to sew over the logo- there's no lining in that bottom pocket. Also, I can see the marker holes from inside the pocket and they're so small and out of the way that, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd vote for a no-badge option for the Synik. Perhaps TB could add the exterior logo patch as a final step before shipping per instructions (not sure what step in production it has to be done).

Interior branding (ala GoRuck or TAD) would be a cool base-level option.

Or, I'd love to know how big the guide holes are on the Synik--and for Halcyon...a DIY debadge is a bit tempting despite my preference for that offset logo positioning.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would be okay with an left-side logo, maybe even like it, if it was smaller / more discreet. Another thing I dislike is that the logo on the bag look crooked, especially since it is big. Itís not bad as it is, I just think they can do better and hope they explore it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast