Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, thanks to @rishio for sparking such an interesting discussion and to everyone who has posted their experience/preferences around logos. As always, it's helpful for us to hear about what works for you and what you'd like to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    Questions for the Tom Bihn Crew: Synik 22&30
    - have you considered the velcro approach??
    - (would you do that to one specific bag on order??)
    - IF I would be to remove the logo (sorry, I really like what you're offering, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in purchasing, but as mentioned, I dislike logos on my stuff) - are there any holes under the logo or anything to worry about if I'd be crule enough to remove it?
    To be honest, we haven't truly considered the Velcro approach because it just doesn't feel like our thing, if that makes sense. And, because of that, I don't think we'd offer a specific design/bag with a Velcro patch. That said, maybe we'll come up with something else that does feel like our thing and gives you some options.

See here for a photo of a Synapse with its label removed and the exposed drill holes (used to align the label during sewing) visible:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post169769
    Removing the label won't damage the bag unless you're kinda going wild with the thread snips or scissors you're using to snip the label threads. It will expose those two drill holes, but that's it.

And it's totally possible to sew your own patch on one of our bags: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCa0iK9A9BY/
    I won't say it's easy or quick, but it's a nice thing to do on a summer evening while sitting outside and relaxing
    I've got some new patches to sew on to my Yeoman, maybe we'll do a little video about that.

As far as aligning the our logo patch: those drill holes help a lot to ensure it's as straight as possible. Still, it's a human process, and there could be some slight variation. The way that variation is perceived by our eyes is also impacted by the fabric, the way it was cut, and where the label is in relation to other visual landmarks of the bag.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to repeat myself from another thread, cuz I can't resist getting in on this discussion, and because this label was at least one small why I did not buy any TB bags until now, and an even bigger reason why I would not buy certain colors of bags:

I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE TOM BIHN SCREAMING AT ME IN ALL CAPS LIKE A BAD EMAIL.
    I also wish the font was not so large, skinny and plain (no pun intended!). The red airplane is cute, but clashes with half the colors sold. Would not be a problem if the whole label was smaller and not put in such a prominent place on most of the bags. As branding, the whole label would work just as well at half the size, and not be so off-putting to some folks.

Perhaps there is a compromise - put the large TB culture oriented label on the inside of the bag or a flap, like many other bag manufacturers do, and put something slightly smaller and more discreet on the outside.

It would not be the first time TB changed their logos and/or labels. I think TB should take it as a challenge to come up with something new! My own suggestion would be to keep the airplane and name, but smaller, in a thinner rectangle, with a more interesting font, and not placed front and center. The label on the TC works for me, but I'll understand if you want to make it a tad larger for larger bags.

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo... itís awesome. One of the best-looking brand logos around. I hate logos more than anything (Iíve even debadged my cars in the past) on my stuff but Tom Bihn gets an approval.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no issue with the logo. Except the new location is driving me up the wall in every photo I see. Due to the curvature of the bag in that corner, understandably, there is no edge to align to. But it just sets me on edge to look at it "misaligned". The original central location had a balance to it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeg780 View Post
    The logo... itís awesome. One of the best-looking brand logos around. I hate logos more than anything (Iíve even debadged my cars in the past) on my stuff but Tom Bihn gets an approval.
    Agreed! The logo is awesome.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what itís worth I generally like the logo, but I tend to buy bags in black, blue, and gray, and they complement the colors in the logo pretty well. I also generally prefer the symmetrical position of the synapse over the Synik. If I could make any changes maybe drop the date and center portable culture for a cleaner look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what could be taken away from this thread so far, is the fact the people have broadly differing views on the logo, placement, visibility, etc...
    And that the logo is not an insignificant aspect in the product and even (potential) customer's purchasing decisions...

@darcy
    Thanks for the feedback... and I'm Interested to see what you come up with in regards to a choice about the logo.
    I can understand that the "Velcro" isn't your style-choice - that is really ok.... I only think it would sort of possess the ability to make everyone happy, those who are happy to feature the logo, those who want to replace it, those who want to go "blacked out" - without compromising on the ability to actually show a big logo if TB wants this.

the other option I'd say would be cool is to offer a subdued monochromatic, dark toned and about 1/2-size logo ... something that when casually looking goes under...
    or even better an internal logo that is visible once you op0en the bag.

I for one am probably sticthing a black velcro over it.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the current logo with the portable culture wording. But really donít like the location of it on the Synik and Synapse Guide Pack.

The fact that those bags are nicely symmetrical up the vertical centre line means (to my eye) that the patch is distracting in the lower right.

Where it does work well is on the Tristar/Western flyer/aeronaut where the lower left or right placement works. I think thatís because they have a horizontal design.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    I only think it would sort of possess the ability to make everyone happy, those who are happy to feature the logo, those who want to replace it, those who want to go "blacked out" - without compromising on the ability to actually show a big logo if TB wants this
    Nice, thoughtful post @dgentile, thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't like the hook & loop/Velcro as they do tend to wear over time if you use them... I wouldn't, but the corners tend to catch on things over time and then the edges of the logo badge or whatever would start to curl up and that would annoy me.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible in this (or most things) to please everyone.

Given the creativity TB displays, it will be interesting to see if they come up with something different that satisfies their own Brand aesthetic plus some of the requests folks have come up with.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also removed the label from my Synapse 25. The small guide holes are almost unnoticeable, and not an issue. For me, I travel a lot internationally and having "Made in the U.S.A" so visible makes it harder in certain countries to blend in. I like the all black stealth look with no branding.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For any staff reading this: I usually avoid anything with visible logos, but I absolutely love Tom Bihn's logo.

Northeast US
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too.

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Like the current logo with the portable culture wording. But really don’t like the location of it on the Synik and Synapse Guide Pack.

The fact that those bags are nicely symmetrical up the vertical centre line means (to my eye) that the patch is distracting in the lower right.

Where it does work well is on the Tristar/Western flyer/aeronaut where the lower left or right placement works. I think that’s because they have a horizontal design.

Could not have said it better.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would look a lot nicer if the logo on the bag is a vertically slimmer patch that said “Tom Bihn” without the red airplane or the text “Since 1972 • Portable Culture”. In addition, Perseffect got it exactly right on why the logo doesn’t work on the bottom corner.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    Love/hate for me. I think the red airplane large label is charming on its own. But as a big TB fan, I have a lot of TB stuff and often carry more than one item at a time. The big label on a backpack + shoulder bag + tote bag all at once is more branding than I want to flaunt. Maybe because to me it's like wearing the same big logo on one's sunglasses, jacket, and shoes?
    Ha I agree! I don't mind the TB logo and think it's kinda classy, but with all of the logos on my gear, I fear that I often appear as if I work for TB or am a TB groupie. (Hmmm, that last one may not be so far off the mark.) I've not taken a seam ripper to any of the logos but I'm tempted because if I'm not careful, I can look like a walking TB advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast